Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anybody submitted to the Intergalactic Medicine Show?

Author Topic: Anybody submitted to the Intergalactic Medicine Show?
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get on?

I'm a gnatts whisker off of actually completing my 1st proper short story & thinking of giving it a go.

Also, I've read a few articles and stuff on there & it seems like a promising web based magazine. Fairly impressed so far, although I've not had much experience with short story mags in the past.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted "The Box Of Beautiful Things" about a month ago.

No response yet.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Submit. If he likes it, he may buy it. If not, you can submit it elsewhere. You'll never get published if you don't send out your work.

Ask anyone who is published if they've ever had work rejected. You'll not find many who will say no.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

OMG OMG OMG.
I just made my first ever submission.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Scary, isn't it?

Congratulations on getting in the game. Best of luck with the submission.

Now, go do another!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, good luck, and keep it up!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!
FYI, the current response time, according to both OSC and the Assistant Editor is about 3 months (I think OSC wants it to match WOTF's, which he considers one of the fastest of the market).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted about six weeks ago and got a rejection last week. I'm curious about whether my rejection was their standard rejection or whether I should take some of the nice things the rejection said seriously. Hm.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Were the nice things at all constructive? If so, I'm sure it wasn't a boilerplate.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Different markets have different ways to reject. The clincher is whether:
-they make personal comments which prove they have read the thing
-they ask you for more.

Until we know what their form reject is, we don't know whether they're usually nice or not

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Benskia!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Benskia. May you not get frustrated when you can't get three manuscripts back in the mail fast enough.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they have a standard response time yet. Mine has been there since mid-August. Fortunately, I have enough other stories out at market that I don't often remember to be antsy about this one.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Well, it's only his second issue.
And he did say he was paying more attention to former bootcampers (actually, what he said on the other forums was that he strove towards a 3-month response time, except that he had a couple stories by former students languishing in the drawer while he considered them--or something like that).

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
They said they would like to see more of my stuff. I'm wondering if that was just a nice way to say, "Yeah, keep trying, and good luck to you," or if they meant it.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
If they said they would like to see more of your stuff, then I suggest you send them more. To me, that doesn't sound like a typical form letter response.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brinestone, I'd take that seriously. I submitted a short story and all I got back was a statement saying that they wouldn't be using it, and was free to sell it elsewhere. Sounds like your response is promising and probably means they'll look for your name when you submit again.

Good luck and never stop trying.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, not that I'm experienced at this kind of thing, but if I got a response from an editor saying they wanted to see more, I'd darned well make sure they saw more! No way would a standard rejection letter say "we're not going to publish your story, but send us more stuff!".
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Editors never ask to see more of your work unless they mean it. Way to go, Brinestone !
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is what the click-on ad in this site says when I click on it...maybe I've missed a reference here or there, but I'm a bit vague on one extremely important detail.

Is this a print magazine or an online magazine?

I know print is an old fashioned medium and the future lies with the Internet and the Web and all that kind of thing...but I'm kinda old fashioned myself. I generally pass over online stuff, but will usually make time and space for something printed on paper, if I can find it. (I looked for it today, in my local Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million both, but not everything I want or need will pop up on their racks...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
strictly online is my understanding. This becomes more clear if you read the submission guidelines.

Best

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Intergalactic Medicine Show is an online mag only. Nothing is in print, but the difference is that they are paying premium prices just like you'd get from the other top magazines like Analog, Asimov's, and so on. It's aiming to be a top tier market and probably going to be as difficult to get published in as those premier magazines.

It is a little early to tell if it will last (only one issue so far), but I think considering that OSC is backing it, putting his own content into it, and committed to it, it'll be around awhile. It does pay top dollar for stories, unlike other online zines.

New content is posted continually, but the main issues are done quarterly and costs only $2.50 an issue.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Well.
I am on a roll now.
I just submitted something to that Verbsap sight, which Beth's character story (see my other thread) is on.

How exciting.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go! Good luck there too.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.