Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I added those magical two words last night

Author Topic: I added those magical two words last night
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
The End. Just finished the first draft of my novel. ~118000 words. Ran a little long, but I'm sure I'll lose some of that in the editing stage. Which I will soon commence. Right now I'm going to take a short break and celebrate. I have only one major hurdle remaining (besides publishing that is). I have yet to come up with a satisfying title. Maybe someone here can help with that part.

Premise of the book: The flood. Noah's sons are born into a family where completing the great ship while reaching out to a dying, degenerate world are the foremost priorities. They are also told they must find wives. But where, when all the world seems corrupt? Of all his sons, Noah has been told by God that Shem is special, that his bloodline must survive. There is tension within the family and from without, threatening to tear them apart. Satan is using anything he can to try to destroy God's remnant; a vengeful neighbor, ruthless city officials, the demon spawn Nephilim, and if he can, even one another.

I want to incorporate the word 'grace' into the title somehow. The book has a quasi-fantasy feel. The scripture in Genesis, "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord." is the keystone verse. By the end of the book various characters have all come to realize the different ways in which God has shown them grace. My tentative title is 'The Grace Finders'. I have also come up with these:

A Flood of Grace
Seas of Grace

any suggestions?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Grace
Fall to Grace

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I second "Fall to Grace" but perhaps adding "A" in front.

"A Fall to Grace"?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah's Grace
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like "Fall to Grace". It conveys the idea that the story takes place during the time period between man's fall and the time that Noah found grace. But how are the main characters themselves falling into grace, as this title also suggests?

"A Fall to Grace" is also very good. But the added 'A' seems to weaken the association of 'Fall' with the fall of man.

Just not sure. There is also the problem of conveying the central event 'the flood'. Should this be incorporated into the title? "A Flood of Grace" maybe.

I don't know. I'm kind of leaning toward "Fall to Grace". I'm curious to know what you guys think:

Fall to Grace
A Fall to Grace
A Flood of Grace
or something different?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in these demon spawn. How is that working? I only recently became aware of that interpretation of "sons of God" through the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing better than working on something, except being finished with the damned thing...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Until you mentioned wanting grace in the title, I had the humrous thought of 'Finding Wives'. I realize that isn't the tone you're going for, though.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

franc li, there are two interpretations of that scripture. a lot of people take the more conservative interpretation, but for my work i chose the more controversial one, mainly because it is more interesting. Wikipedia says it better than I can. Just look up Nephilim.

In defense of my choice the Hebrew term translated sons of God is Beniah Elohim, and every time it is used in the OT it is in reference to fallen angels.

Also, my book has dinosaurs (pre-flood), the Behemoth and Leviathan, which are both mentioned in the Old Testament. Very different world than ours.

The Apocryphal book of Enoch is also a good study for antedeluvian life.

franc li
Member # 3850

I guess my foremost objection to that interpretation is unique to "Mormonism" which is that non-fallen creatures cannot procreate (including Adam and Eve before the fall). So if the Sons of God were not mortal, it would not according to our scripture be possible for them to father children. We also do not recognize a species of angel that is not a human spirit, though angels can have bodies if they are resurrected humans or "translated" humans, which are humans who are somewhere between mortality and resurrection. (Most notable John the Beloved, Moses, the "3 Nephites" and possibly Alma the younger.) But details on them are vague and the possibility of them having seed is not ever broached in scripture.

The meaning of the Sons of God in Job was, in my discussions with the Jehovah's Witnesses, ambiguous. It rested on a chain of assumptions that traveled through Revelation and Peter and back to Genesis.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Well, Crotalus, you might stretch into your characters falling into grace, by thinking, they didn't struggle upward to it, they sort of fell into it by no particular planning of their own. (If that's a reasonable way of looking at it.)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

What about some other boat terms? Like "Embarking on Grace". Are you taking the tack that the flood was an act of grace or that Noah's willingness to follow God's will was grace? The former statement is another Mormon teaching that depends on the idea that our spirits exist before mortality and so sending them into a world full of violence was a bad enough prospect to justify the premature demise of the population already on the earth.
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

Will, that's very good in that it fits with what I've already written. While my characters are for the most part proactive, they are also woefully human. They stumble along like we all do.

Reason i like your title. We all hear about falling From grace, but seldom about falling To it. I'm going with your suggestion, and if i ever need another title i'm asking you first. Thanks!

A signed copy to you free if this ever gets published!

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Grace Upon the Waters
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I like dakota's suggestion. Grace Upon the Deep would work for me, too.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Building Grace?
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Thanks, Crotalus -- I'll hold you to that! (About the signed copy, that is!)
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Grace
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah Found Grace
a novel by [insert your name here]

is what I'd call it if I wrote it...

But above, yeah, that was me agreeing with one of Will's suggestions.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work! But don't be too optimistic about losing words on the rewrite. My rule of thumb is rewriting seems to add about 30% to my stories.

One bit of advice is to go through the whole thing using the 'find' function addressing commonly used words like 'that', 'the', 'and' et cetera. It is really funny how often filler words aren't needed and compound sentences can be trimmed.

When rewriting it helps to look at places where you got action out of order. It is easy to miss places where you've interpolated two sets of action which should have been done sequentially.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Crotalus,
I just wrote a short story about a nephilim. Keep Drivin' and posted it on F&F.

I can't help with the title. Reminds me of Will and Grace.

I think the idea of alluding to grace is good because it talks about Noah finding grace in Gods eyes, but also Shem finding grace in Noah's eyes whih is the conflict.

If it were me I'd call it Ham's Sandwich

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

Thanks all for suggestions and comments. And Will, my wife liked dakota's suggestion. Since women make up about 70% of the readers for Christian fiction I may go with GUTW. Don't know yet. I also thought of another myself 'The Depths of Grace' or maybe just 'Depths of Grace'. And I must admit 'Ham's Sandwich' also has a very nice ring to it. What to do, what to do.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.