Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF rejects yet? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WOTF rejects yet?
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard results from the WOTF Contest for the quarter ending in September? :-(

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, but from experience I always get mine 2-3 weeks after the deadline for the next quarter (which would make it mid-January).
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't recieved anything yet either. For every quarter this year mine have always come back by now--roughly by the 18th of the month. Two were quarter finalists and the third was a simple reject, but all three came back about the same time so who knows how it works? I do know that they've had some changes recently and that they seem a bit disorganized this quarter. It's also Christmas, and the last quarter of the year for the contest, so that might have something to do with it. You know, slow mail or something.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Mine are never back by this date, but that may be because I live in France, so there's the postage problem
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email late last night notifying me of quarter-finalist status. So they've definitely started letting people know.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazer
Member # 3098

- posted      Profile for Lazer   Email Lazer         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be very silly to ask what WOTF is?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Stands for Writers of the Future, a major speculative fiction writing competition that publishes an anthology. Several of the writers here have entered, and at least one has won in the past. Winning this competition is very good for your career.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
They have a website, if you'd like more information:

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
autumnmuse, congratulations!
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

Congradulations autumnmuse. From your posts I know you work very hard at writing so it is well deserved.

I hope you, and everyone else here, has entered a new story in the next quarter, and good luck to everyone!

As a final question, I was wondering if anyone has ever recieved an email for quarter-finalist status before? I also got an email this time for placing in the quarter-finals for the quarter, but this is the first time they've sent an email. The other two times I didn't find out until it came back in the mail. I'm just wondering what to expect.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received my quarter-finals rejection today also.

Quarter-finals are supposed to be in the top 10-15% range, which I guess would make it something like a C+ to a B-, at least according to my old high school's grading scale.

I'm kind of suspicious though, everyone seems to be in the quarter-finals. The cynical part of me wonders if everyone who doesn't make the cut gets a Quarter-finalist rejection.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I know for a fact that isn't true, Chris...or at least it wasn't a couple of rounds ago; my first submission was flat-out rejected.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

I do know that the contest gets over 2500 entries every quarter so even if a story makes it to the quarter-finals, it still means it's somewhere among 250 to 375 stories or more. There's probably a higher percentage of writers on this forum that will place higher in the contest due to their commitment to writing, which might be one reason to see a lot of quarter-finalist finishes from here.

While I do know that a lot of stories are straight rejects (from personal experience), even making the quarter-finals may not mean a lot depending on whether the story is closer to the top or bottom of that still massive pile. All I know is that I'll keep trying as long as I'm elligible and hopefully my next story will be a semi-finalist, and from there to finalist and maybe even a winner. I hope everyone here does the same.

Persistence is the key to publication and improving a writer's skill, so the only thing to do is keep writing and keep submitting.

Silver3
Member # 2174

I had not realized they received so many subs. But yeah, I agree. I placed several times in quarter finals, and in my opinion some of the stories concerned were not so good, while one was seriously considered by several pro markets. Just goes to show that, yes, quarter-finals by itself does not mean much.
No word as yet on my sub. Ah well, guess I'll have to wait for the mail

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Me either, Silver. They just don't love us.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
On another site I belong to, a lot of people do get QF. It starts to become expected, so when someone you know is a great writer with publication credits doesn't even get QF, it kind of hurts.

As far as the quarter ending Dec. 31st is concerned, I went to the post office yesterday to submit my story, and found out I missed having it postmarked on time by one hour. AAARGH. So I didn't send my story, because otherwise it will be for the quarter ending March, and I'll have to wait absolutely forever to hear back.

In that same amount of time, I can send the same story to probably two markets, and if they both reject, then go ahead and enter it at WOTF. Besides, I don't think the particular story was a perfect fit for WOTF, but it was ready and available at the deadline when some other stuff wasn't.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it might be worth emailing and explaining what happened. The contest administrator was really nice about letting me resubmit my story after it went missing in the mail.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

I received my rejection today. "Your entry did not place in the final selections for the 4th quarter 2005 (July 1 - September 30, 2005)."

But, there were three handwritten words of encouragement on the form letter! Now, I need to decide whether or not to post it on Fragments and Feedback, or to send it to a magazine.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean you were a semifinalist?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

Spaceman: No, just a plain vanilla reject! That's the way I interpret it, although it could have been written more clearly!
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
What were the words?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

ChrisOwens, here is the exact wording of the reject:

"Your entry did not place in the final selections for the 4th quarter 2005 (July 1 - September 30, 2005)."

Silver3
Member # 2174

I think he meant the handwritten words.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Now with some sleep, I'll offer my guess: Keep it up?

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Hmmmm. Evidently there are quarterfinalists and then there are quarterfinalists:

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&artnum=2960

Calligrapher
Member # 2985

ChrisOwens,

Possible 3 word comments:

"Don't waste paper."
"Is this finished?"
"Why waste stamps?"

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

"Needs more monkeys."

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

I vote with you, Beth. If you're going to get rejected, I'd much rather get a laugh out of it than have to cry over it!
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I'm with you Chris, on her comments. I saw that too and kind of went, "Hey!" but oh well.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Yeah, it's disapointing to learn that I'm in the group of "definitely" automatic quarterfinalists.

The higher quality quarterfinalists must be in the pool of potential semifinalists, which has to be reread and then weeded out, since there is only room for 10 semifinalists.

Perhaps there should be a category between quarterfinalist and semifinalists. Maybe semi-semifinalists?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

That would be a 3/8-finalist
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Or do eight-finalists and quarter-finalists. Although 3/8th certainly has a fun side to it
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just check? - are the replies you're getting just regular mail or email? I haven't heard anything yet.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Maybe that's good news, it hasn't been decided yet.

Mine came in email. I'm not sure if I'm to get a snail mail or not.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Today I got the same form letter with probably the same three hand-written words on the bottom postmarked on January 3. I'm out for Q4.
Silver3
Member # 2174

For QFs and rejects, if you included an SASE with your ms, you get snail mail. Otherwise you get emails. I believe SFs and Fs are notified by mail regardless of the decisions taken afterwards, but I could be wrong, since this never happened to me

BUT it may be different 'cause of the new postal rates.

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard back yet. Are other people on the east coast or specifically in New England still waiting?

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited January 12, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Kathleen posted on SFF forums that she has just finished sending out all the notices except the 12 semifinalists.

So if you're still waiting, either it is in the mail, or you are a semi-finalist at least.

Or it's lost in the mail or fell in a crack on her desk.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

::bites nails::
Silver3
Member # 2174

I vote for the crack in her desk
And I'm used to waiting for them, although this has to be one of my longest waiting times (but not by much). Guess I'll get mine sometime next week.

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited January 13, 2006).]

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
They must have looked in that desk crack. I got an email last night--my story has been selected as a finalist. I am just plain floored. The results will back within the next couple of weeks.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited January 21, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Wohoo, Kickle !
Way to go !!

(I still have nothing. I vote for the crack Might have to email them at some point if I still don't get anything).

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

YEAH, KICKLE!!! Way to go!

Silver, I'm still with you on the crack thing.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, was I confused. I looked back at the mail I got 12/31. It said, Congratulations, you made it to the quarter-finals. So I thought it was still in the running. But then they said that if I sent an SASE they were returning it. It was a rejection letter so nice I thought it was an acceptance!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedSakana
Member # 3127

- posted      Profile for RedSakana           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Kickle!

(Man that must be a big crack in the desk...I think mine is lost in there too.)

[This message has been edited by RedSakana (edited January 21, 2006).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Kickle, congratulations! But for what it's worth, I know from the experiences of several of my friends that you should take 'a few weeks' with a very large grain of salt. In some cases it has taken months to find out the final rankings. And once you are ranked, if you end up as a finalist and not in the top 3, it could take as long as a year for them to decide whether to include your story in the published anthology. Just FYI.
luapc
Member # 2878

Hey Kickle,

That's fantastic news! I know all of us here are envious, but pulling for you to win one of the top three places!

Hey wbriggs,

I was just wondering about something. I also got an email the same as yours about the same time, and was wondering if you got your manuscript back. I still haven't gotten mine and was thinking it got lost in the mail or something. Anbody else got theirs back?

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great news. Congrats, Kickle!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
That's fantastic news! I know all of us here are envious, but pulling for you to win one of the top three places!

Unfortunately, I'm pulling for more people to win a place than there are places available, but you are one of those I am pulling for.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

I queried about my entry the other day, and I just received a response:

"There were a few stories that got delayed in judging. I just got these back and am sending out notifications at this time.

You should hear something soon. If you don't have anything back in a week, let me know and I'll follow up on it."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.