Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » me writing fantasy?

Author Topic: me writing fantasy?
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always up until now been a science fiction enthusiast/writer. I really love it, especially when there's space travel involved. I think what I mean is what Space Opera is. (I don't pay attention to what type of story I'm reading is, but apparently most of my favourite authors are famous for Space Operas.)

Anyway, recently I've started writing a story about a mermaid. It's set down south from here (Perth, Australia) in a seaside town called Denmark.I figured that it couldn't be called anything but fantasy and so I had no troubles (I usually don't like writing magic stories, but this one's just for a friend so I'm trying not to be over serious about it.) in throwing in magical abilities for the mermaid that she passes on to the boy she loves.

That's a good story, at least my friend thinks so far<grin>, that's not the problem. But now I've got all these story ideas I've been tackling. They had no sciencey elements in them when I first went back to them, and they certainly couldn't qualify as Space Opera (I think: They were on planet the wholse story). After this little taste of fantasy I've got from the mermaid story, I've been thinking up ways to explain major cultural things involvings the societies in the stories with fantasy. For example, one town needs a population of all young people (like no older than 17,18), so I have the older members leave as the come of certain age because dark things happen to the town the more people there are in it. (And with no-one over the age of 18~ it's a bit hard to overpopulate.)

Having these fantasy elements means they can't be science fiction, I reason, and I don't really know how to write fantasy. (The mermaid story was more contemporary with a very few moments of magic.) Should I go back and instead try and think of ways to make the stories sci-fi instead? Or else I need advice on fantasy writing.

This might not make sense. (I've only slept 4 hours in the last 42) If that's the case, tell em and I'll reword it when I've caught up on my sleep. I won't be sleeping just now though because I'm designing/writng the small population story at the moment.

Thank you for your time.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy is very flexible. You can write contempory fiction and if you magic is a real thing once, whether you use it or not, the story is classified as fantasy.

There is nothing wrong with crossing genre's. No need to rework something to fit a genre. Write the story how it feels right to you, and tune it as you need to.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all space operas are science fiction. And science fiction and fantasy aren't polar opposites. Why limit the imagination to one or the other? There are many writers that do a mix of both all the time.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winship
Member # 2947

- posted      Profile for Winship   Email Winship         Edit/Delete Post 
Try approaching the magic side in a scientific manner. Just like science follows physics, the magic has it own set of rules. The big difference is you get to make up the rules. The rules never have to be mentioned but as long as you know then, your writing will reflect them. You can even have the inhabitants not fully understand the rules.

For example with the idea of small population idea:

Rule 1: The older you get, the more life-force energy a person generates.
Rule 2: A monster/demon/spirit only notice when the combined life-force energy is over a certain level.
Rule 3: A monster/demon/spirit only culls as a matter of survival, there by leaving behind future prospects.

And so on.

Once you have developed the fantasy physics, then you can apply them to the world.

As a result of the above rules an adult would have to leave the permanent village and begin wandering the world. At first they could travel together until their combined life-force energy become noticed. Eventually the adults would either die of old age, alone or become individually noticed.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Just write the story and worry about how to market the thing later. Maybe you are discovering a strength here.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
If I want a novel I write critiqued on here, will I likely be able to send out the entire thing, or only a smaller bit from the start?

The one I'm working on at the moment, for example, is split into parts (The first being 15,000~ words long) and within those parts it is also split by chapters.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited December 23, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
To get a novel critqued, join one of the novel groups listed in the Hatrack groups section,

You can try getting someone to volunteer by posting your first 13....good luck that way.

Usually, you can send your whole novel as a word.doc

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
An explanation of ways novels can be critiqued online is at

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum21/HTML/000005.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.