Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does a Book Really Need a Hook?

Author Topic: Does a Book Really Need a Hook?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the "Hooks that Forced me to Buy the Book" over in the Published Works section, when it hit me: I can't think of any book I've bought because of its beginning.

I've bought books because of the pretty cover...good reviews...recommended by someone...was intrigued by the jacket copy...subject interested me...author's track record...maybe other reasons, but I can't say I've ever bought one because of what the writer writes on the first page or two.

I might put it aside afterwards if I've read a ways in and am bored to tears (it's happened)...but the damage is done, the cash has changed hands, and the book has been sold.

A short story in a magazine or collection would be worse. I've subscribed to the magazine already, or bought it over the counter, and for reasons other than any hook at the front of a story. If a story doesn't grab me I can move on to the next one. If enough content in a magazine bores me I'll buy it no more, or let my subscription lapse.

I might need that hook to con an editor into buying a book or story...but would the book or story then need that same hook to sell it in the marketplace?

Opinions, comments, rebuttals, anyone?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooks are mostly a test of literary competency and the author knowing where to start the story for readers, including the editors who decide whether to keep reading. All those other things can get you to buy a book but wouldn't you be disappointed and unlikely to ever buy that author again if they started with a tacky beginning.

Or if you checked the first page before you decided to buy it and it was tacky, would you still buy it just because you like the author, you were was intrigued by the jacket copy, etc? Established writers have to know how to hook too, and they always use them one way or another, because beginnings are just that important.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited December 23, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know how folks tell you that you gotta start with action and characters to grab your attention? I disagree. Here's Clive Barker setting the scene of his novella "The Hellbound Heart". The beauty of the language was enough to capture me.

[PS Kathleen, I think this is just a tiny little bit over 13 lines, but hopefully you'll let it stand]

The seasons long for each other, like men and women, in order that they may be cured of their excesses. Spring, if it lingers more than a week beyond its span, starts to hunger for summer to end the days of perpetual promise. Summer in its turn soon begins to sweat for something to quench its heat, and the mellowest of autumns will tire of gentility at last, and ache for a quick sharp frost to kill its fruitfulness. Even winter - the hardest season, the most implacable - dreams, as February creeps on, of the flame that will presently melt it away. Everything tires with time, and starts to seek some opposition, to save it from itself. So August gave way to September and there were few complaints.

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited December 23, 2005).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul, and I would totally read that. Another thing is that a hook can be good and still not grab a readers attention. I.e. they aren't the be all and end all on whether to buy a book, but they are still neccessary.

Here's the first 7 of Ursala K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness, at least in my version:

quote:
I'll make my report as if I told a story, for i was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail or prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust. Facts are no more solid, coherent, round, and real than pearls are. But both are sensitive.

Now I love that hook, but I don't like the book and I don't like Ursala K. LeGuin's other works for some reason.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Your hook is not neccesarily for the reader. It's for the editor who will decide if your book will ever be published.

There is no pretty cover and even after reading a great cover letter they will start your first 3 chapters with skepticism. Getting them to page 2 is a big step forward.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
So what good to a nook is a hook cook book?
-Dr. Seuss

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
A hook is a reason to read, and we definitely need that!

I can wait past page 1 for the action, but whatever's on page 1 has to be good enough I'll have faith the author won't bore me on all the other pages.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what you quoted from Barker's book worked as a hook for you.

A hook can be different things for different writers and for different readers.

All a hook needs to do is entice the reader to keep reading.

It's a mistake to think that the only kind of hook you can use is an action-packed scene.

Wonderful writing will hook a reader far more often than action will.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_James_Larkin
Member # 3007

- posted      Profile for D_James_Larkin           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually agree completely with you on this Robert N. ...

In my opinion, they are only for the benefit of publishers and editors to get them to publish you.

An established author like Steve King or Mr. Card could start their books with "A boy fell in the mud." and as long as the story had to do with that boy... off it goes for publishing.

I feel that once an author is established, the "hook" is no longer needed or required. But then again, a GOOD established author will write a decent book, generally, and so that first paragraph will be relevant to the story.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you too robert.

Novels don't need hooks just a really decent first 5-10 pages.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I thought I'd get some fascinating---and useful---comments from this.

There seems to be some developing thought that a hook is a skill one must master in order to get published, but once one has a track record, one doesn't need it. I can't say the idea of mastering a skill and then discarding it has much appeal to me, maybe none at all. (You wouldn't believe how many skills I've had to master and discard working for the USPS.)

The little I've read of Clive Barker didn't appeal to me, and I can't say this paragraph makes me want to read more. That's no guarantee that it's not a good story, but life is short.

I read "The Left Hand of Darkness," not because of its opening paragraph, but because I'd already read LeGuin's "The Wind's Twelve Quarters" and the Earthsea trilogy (there were only three of them then). Good, good ideas well handled...but not one of my favorites. (My favorite LeGuin is a Young Adult short novel whose name escapes me at the moment---it isn't science fiction or fantasy.)

I suppose any of these authors---or any one cares to name---could lose the reader within the first page. As I said, life is short, time is limited, and the writer has to hold up his end to make it work for the reader.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Only lazy writers master a skill and then discard it because they think they don't need it any more in order to sell their work.

Sad to say, there are such writers out there, and their readers may eventually grow tired of reading work that isn't as good as the earlier stuff that got them reading the writers in the first place.

If you have integrity as a writer, you don't discard a skill. In fact, you keep working on improving your skills. To do otherwise is to "rest on your laurels," and that is the start of a down-hill slide.

I have already said this, but I will say it again. The only thing a hook has to do is make a reader want to keep reading. While there may be some "formulaic" ways to write a hook, those ways are not the only ones a writer may use. Good, strong, interesting writing is usually the only hook a writer needs.

If a writer does not keep hooking the reader--all the way through the story--then the reader can put the story down at any time and never pick it up again.

We limit postings to the first 13 lines for many reasons here at Hatrack. Determining whether those 13 lines succeed in hooking a reader is only one of the reasons.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 24, 2005).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

I usually don't buy books unless I check them out from the library first, then because they are great, have to have them. In this regard, hooks are essential because I'll never buy the book if the beginning doesn't hook me enough to read it to completion. Most library books that don't hook me, get taken back nearly immediately and of course, I haven't spent a dime.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
I use the beginning if the jacket copy is either too vague, nonexistent, or generic. If I can read from the jacket some interesting aspect of the story, I'll usually pick up the book.

Normally, I'll read the beginning anyway to get a feel for a writer's style and a hint of the pacing, even if it's a writer I know. Once in a while, the writer's first few paragraphs have changed my mind about buying a book.

If I find myself actually interested and reading the book in the store, I'll buy it. If I read the first paragraph and I'm bored, or disgusted, no plot in the world will make me suffer through that writing.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading "Eragon", which I think hooked me incredibly because I wanted to quit work for a 3 days so I could read it and get it finished.

But before I finished Eragon, I bought its sequel "Eldest" thinking that since Eragon hooked me, Eldest would do the same.

Suffice to say I was... RIGHT! Lol. Yeah, its great so far.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A few more notes, spun off from further comments.

(1) "Eragon" is one of those on my list for possible future reading, but I haven't yet bought it. Also---and this seems a pretty big "also" to me---a write-up I read suggested to me that the author's connections led to it being picked up by a major publisher, rather than the work's merits or worth. I'm not saying "Eragon" has no merit or worth, but few things are more likely to cheese me off than that sort of publishing situation.

(2) I've read jacket copy for books that seemed designed to push possible readers away said books. Often the book seemed better than the copy would suggest. Sometimes the reverse was true: the book didn't live up to jacket copy expectations. I made a mental note concerning my (so far imaginary) publishing career: if at all possible, I have to get control of, or at least input, into the jacket copy, possibly writing it myself. (After all, this would be the perfect place to practice the art of the hook...)

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 

From a CNN interview i saw when Eragon first came out heres what happened to the best i can remember

The parents of author* vanity published (though they didn't use that word) his book in a paperback form. They then went around selling the book out of their van in Idaho or some such place. The niece or some other female relative of the publisher got her hands on/bought a copy and then recommended the book to said older male relative.

The rest as they say is history.

*(i don't know what it is and he's homeschoooled but that doesn't matter either)

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm unique out there in the bookstores. One of the most critical tests I run when I'm contemplating buying a book is to read the back cover (inside jacket for a hardbound) and then the first page. No matter how intriguing the story concept may be, if the first page and then the second don't convince me the author writes well, I reshelve the book and look for another.

A good story uneptly told is not a pleasure.

As for library books...I'll check some out on the basis of their blurbs, since I don't have to pony up any funds, but if the first pages are lame, I won't continue on and I certainly won't be rushing out to buy everything else the author wrote.

I think there are a lot of people like me and they aren't all from Missouri.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll skim the blurb on the back of a book, but the biggest factor in determining if I get a book is the first page. I'll read it, and make a judgement off of that. Can the author use English? Is it interesting? Is it a writing style that I want to spend four hundred pages with? I'll have to admit that I also often open up to a random page and start reading a bit there, to see what the writing is like in the heart of the story.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I select books by leisurely walking down the aisle, looking for a title that catches my eye - a title that doesn't sound lame. I'll pull the book off the shelf, and read the back jacket and look at the artwork to assess genre. If the back cover gives me a hope that the content has a wee bit of originality, I open the first page and read.

If I'm intrigued, I'll scan additional pages, including randomly opening the book up somewhere in the middle and reading a couple of paragraphs. What I'm looking for at this stage is: is the writing stilted? do the characters seem like card-board? are there annoying stylistic tendencies that make reading a chore? In other words, I'm looking for obvious reasons NOT to buy.

If I find myself reading more than a couple of paragraphs because the story has pulled me in, I'm likely to buy. I used to go to the library a lot for sci-fi and fantasy. The library is where I discovered Orson Scott Card. However, due to budget cutbacks, our local library isn't open convenient hours. I rarely go to the library anymore, and never use the library to give literature a 'trial run.'

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I pick the book up and read in the middle, if there is something of value there then I buy it. To me that is the 'Hook'. whatever it is that intrests you in the book is the hook so of course a book needs a hook. Now if you mean an interesting beginning then of course a story needs that too.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The hook is probably more for the publisher than the average reader. I pick up books based on recommendations, titles (this just makes me pick up a book to read the back cover), and the back cover (or inside flap) summary).

But the hook does do something -- keeps me reading. If there is no hook I'll wander away from the book. I may come back, depending upon a lot of things...what's going on in my life, how much time I have on my hands, how much faith I have in the author based on previous books, and whether or not there was even a hint that something interesting was about to happen. Now, I get books from the library so I have the luxury of not wasting money if I don't keep reading, but still..I've been known to read the first chapter and decide it's not worth my time to keep reading. I've also stopped books after two chapter, three, half the book....or, if the writing is particularly bad after a page or two. Novels get about a chapter to hook me, as opposed to short stories, but I do expect that hook.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.