Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 1,000,000,000,000,000

Author Topic: 1,000,000,000,000,000
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that Writers Workshop only has like one tenth of one hundredth of thousandth of one billionth the activity that the regular Hatrack forums, which aren't any more or less specific in terms of what they're for, have?

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited December 26, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm...which is the writers workshop you're talking about? I'm still new and finding my way around.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because (fortunately for us) there are more readers than writers out there?

Maybe because we have more to do than hang out at Hatrack all day--like writing?

Maybe because the writer's workshops are about accomplishing, rather than simply commenting?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread demonstrates the reason scientific notation is used.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
10^14? Oh well, this isn't science, and really big seemingly pointless 1's and 0's mean a lot in the world of computers. You see, there's a hidden message behind my title, not my problem if you can't figure it out.

Arriki, as soon as you get here: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true , you're inside the Writers Workshop section of Hatrack.com

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited December 27, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not my problem if you can't figure it out.

Nor is it my problem if you can't recognize sarcasm.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem!

Just don't make it my problem, okay?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
€?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
um, nevermind.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited December 27, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be a problem that the title actually appears to be 10 to the fifteenth power (whatever notation you happen to be using) rather than to the forteenth? Or (more likely) is that correct while the notation of it as 10^14 is simply a (very strange) error? Do the commas mean anything, or are they simply to indicate that the number is a standard decimal notation rather than anything else?

Also, how should we treat questions of byte/bit order, and what type of data (and encoding method, of course) are we dealing with here?

You see, it may not be your problem if no one can figure out what your secret message is, but it is certainly your fault.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
There are, after all, 10 types of people in the world...
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
...Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sorry. I had to. Back on topic.

The regular Hatrack forums target a much broader audience than the Writers Workshops. Most of us on here are at least somewhat serious about getting our own works published, and that alone is a very small fraction of the people who would find such a site and join the forums.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

Survivor, I knew Spaceman was being sarcastic, and I had nothing of value to reply to his post so I replied with a little sarcasm of my own. *laughs menacingly*
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, sarcasm loses something when you have to explain to people that it's sarcasm.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that "sarcasm" loses something when you use the word to mean something entirely different..."obfuscatory didacticism" might have been a better term here.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So anyway, we don't have as many people as the general forum because we're a niche.

Okay?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

Got it.
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
"obfuscatory didacticism"

Beautiful.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.