Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Why are we so fascinated with stories?

Author Topic: Why are we so fascinated with stories?
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, they're just pretend aren't they?
An author makes a bit of stuff up that isn't real, writes about 500 pages worth of text and we snap it up, eagerly.
Or watch 3 hours worth of made up events.

The more you think about it, the stranger it seems. But, we still all love to hear a good story.

Why do we enjoy hearing made up stuff so much?

Edit:
Oh man. I just noticed by extremely poor grammar in the title. Please ignore the apostraphe.

[This message has been edited by benskia (edited January 09, 2006).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe.. "story's".. you're silly.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
fascinated with story's what?

story's plot?

story's character?

Assuming you meant stories...

The fact is that the human brain is capable of processing much more information than we need to survive on a moment to moment basis. In an effort to keep us awake, we find a way to fill the unused portions of our thoughts with just about anything.

For some people this is fiction, for others its history and for other video games and for too many, its reality TV or CSI.

Generally we prefer fiction because:

1) The real news is not all happy endings. (no sympathetic endorphins)

2) If fiction has an unhappy ending, well, its only fiction.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Non-fiction asks, what is? Fiction asks, what if?

Why storytelling? Well, why painting, why art, why music, why crafts, why dancing (the latter being unnecessary movement)?

I think ot stems from several drives. A large part of that is an inate curiosity that drives us to explore even that which does not exist. Humans are also endowed with imagination and the drive to create, as well as the ability to appreciate that gift in others.

It is a gift. Is it necessary for survival? No. But it makes life worth living.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
We think in stories. It's how we make sense of the world.

2c

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Man has been telling stories since the first fire, or the first time we inhabited a cave. Or, if you're a Creationist, since the first time Adam rubbed off that last bit of dirt and went "What's for breakfast?"

It's a way to explore the unexplored, I think. It's a way to remember great deeds, or to envision new ones. And it was a way to keep entertained before the era of TV, radio, and the Internet.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
All part and parcel of what makes a writer. It's what we are, it's how we deal with the world. Me, I started writing words on paper seriously as soon as I learned to touch type...and at the time, I thought it was a startling new idea for me to do it...but, on much reflection, I realize I always made up little bits of this and that here and there.

I used to assign characters to assorted inanimate objects and act out little action adventure plays with them. Books in my then-meager collection...cards in a deck...I suppose I could have done it with dolls but I didn't have dolls, this being some years before the action figure idea caught on.

My point it, I suppose now I was born with something that compelled me to imagine things. Not even my notable lack of success over the years has turned that off or even down. (Though I've stopped having my books act out little playlets for me.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
wbriggs, the issues expressed in this topic, in a very general sense, are what my recent story is "about." I need to find a better way to express this in story form so as to not confuse the reader.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
"as soon as I learned to touch type."

#9 on the top ten list of ways to date yourself.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
So is it not possible to edit thread titles? And if you do, can you make it Stories and not storys?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Calligrapher, I don't follow. (Or maybe that wasn't really addressed to me?)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
#9 on the top ten list of ways to date yourself.

Well, it's not as if anyone else will date me...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
Stories are how we remember. They form the very basis of our memory. It's how we learn our morals and values as children, be it Aesop's Fables, The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, The Bible or Dr. Seuss.

As we grow older, its how we remember our family and friends and important benchmarks in our life. I read John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men every so often because it is a good story but also because of the memories it envokes. When I reach a stopping point, I always feel like a high school freshman again. I think back to my days in Jesuit High School in New Orleans. I remember my friends, the stupid crap we did and got away with and the stupid crap we did and didn't get away with.

Some books remind me of my days in the army or a particular case I worked as a police officer.

Stories are also how we relate our day to day happenings to people around us. When we make a presentation to our supervisors or clients we make a presentation in somewhat of a story form, usually we start with a joke to loosen everyone or we search for the quick hook to get them interested in what we have to say.

When we are making conversation at the water cooler at work we tell our friends about a particular event that happened in our life. Sometimes, it's a friend's account of an incident that suddenly reminds us of a similar incident that we may have forgotten about or haven't thought about in a long time.

When we sit down for supper with our family, we recount the day's events. Without stories, man has no recollection of his past, existance in the present or direction for his future.

Peace,
Scott

[This message has been edited by Zodiaxe (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
More or less.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I've published a scholoarly article on RPGs and am in the process of developing another for publication, so I have plenty of conversations on tape/paper with people trying explain why they enjoy "make believe" and how RP feels like real life.

Without delving too deeply into everything, the question is Why does it matter wether it is "real" or not? Paraphrasing Neil Gaiman Fiction is telling the truth which never happened. Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty don't we all tell truth as we believe it but didn't happen?

Note/Disclaimer: I generally adhere to what is called the interactionist/intrepretive part of sociology if that helps.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think what fascinates and consumes us involves exposure at some point between birth and age twenty. In my case, I was exposed to books / magazines / newspapers ("reading") and television. I never took to video games, or actually *going* to the movies---I didn't do either much as a kid and don't do either much as an adult---occasionally I do, but usually in some limited and associational way.

My use of the Internet is really an extension of my ability to read, and therefore in a somewhat limited fashion. Watching television has extended to taping (and within the last six months, "disking"), and that is kind of an extention of book collecting.

But so much of my life revolves around being into reading and watching TV. I can get within the "reality" of what's going on in front of me, whether in words or pictures---though I never lose sight of the fictional nature of it all. (Whether this is healthy for me or not I cannot say. I have reservations.)

I remember an exchange between C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien on the subject of myths. (No, I don't remember where I saw it, or I'd dig it out of my library and quote it precisely. So the phrasing of what follows may be inexact.) Lewis argued that "myths are lies, even if they are lies breathed with silver." Tolkien argued that "no, myths are true."

If you take "fiction" for "myth," then "fiction" is something that's true. That's why it feels real.

(Hmm. Five paragraphs and I move from one subject to another.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've edited the thread title.

I think we need stories in order to make sense of the world and of our lives.

Consider how we deal with our memories of what we've dreamed (if we remember, that is). Scientist have said that our dreams are actually jumbles of images with no rhyme or reason, but we tend to insist on imposing coherence on those jumbles by making them into stories.

I submit that without stories, we would have little or no coherence in our lives.

And we have nonfiction stories as well as fiction stories. Everything we communicate is story in one way or another.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
note from one of my stories:
the word 'spell' comes from the Old English and originally meant 'a discourse or story'.

Therefore 'spell-bound' could mean 'story-bound' or enthralled by a story. And a 'spell book' is a book of stories or discourses.

In MY story, wizards keep journals and study the events of their lives and their observations for patterns and messages. A sort of life-long divination. A hunt for their one true tale. Some wizards discern patterns early, some not until they are old, some not at all. Others give up.

Some of the most powerful books are the journals left by other wizards, passed down from one to another through the generations. They are highly prized and studied with great care. Some wizardly lines are said to be unbroken commentaries back to the very first of all men.

Along the lines of Kathleen's post, the human mind likes to see patterns in things that are otherwise random, hence images of saints appearing in tortillas, or the canals on mars. We all do it, our minds like to close gaps and complete the circles.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 12, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

In my screed here yesterday, I neglected to mention that music is also something that stayed with me all these years and also takes me to new places. Perhaps I forgot to mention it because I utilize my ears and not my eyes for it...
raconteuse
Member # 3119

- posted      Profile for raconteuse           Edit/Delete Post 
For people interested in the power of myth and storytelling, I highly recommend reading anything by Joseph Campbell. "The Power of Myth" is a good place to start.

Campbell uses comparative religion and mythology combined with Freudian and Jungian dream analysis to talk about the influence of the human imagination on our collective and individual lives. He asks intriguing questions about whether our biology dictates our need to tell stories, or our cultures. He also explains why Tolkien and Lewis were both correct in their discussion about the "truth" of myths

Is anyone else here a Joseph Campbell fan?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall -- the Tolkien quote you were talking about is from Humphrey Carpenter's "J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography." (At least, that's where I have the information, on page 151):

"But," said Lewis, "Myths are lies, even though lies breathed through silver."

"No," said Tolkien, "they are not."

Carpenter continues, paraphrasing Tolkien's next line of argument:

"You call a tree a tree, he said, and you think nothing more of the word. But it was not a 'tree' until someone gave it that name....By so naming things and describing them you are only inventing your own terms about them. And just as speech is invention about objects and ideas, so myth is invention about truth."

He goes onto say (I'd quote, but I don't know if I'm over 13 lines yet) that making stories, in a way, makes us a creator like God, and that by creating stories, we can reach back towards the perfection Man knew before the fall. This whole long conversation helped C.S. Lewis convert to Christianity -- Carpenter goes onto paraphrase Lewis: "You mean, asked Lewis, that the story of Christ is simply a true myth, a myth that works on us in the same way as the others, but a myth that really happened? In that case, he said, I begin to understand."

So, at least to Tolkien, and later to C.S. Lewis, myths were a way to express eternal truth and reach back towards God. In that sense, at least, stories are then more true that real life, which is, as many have noted, often without a lot of order or pattern, where sometimes things don't happen as they should [i.e. the good guys loosing].

Anyway, it's an interesting passage in Tolkien's biography, and some interesting thoughts on stories and their purpose.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I agree. I certainly read that book...plus at least six other biographies / studies of Tolkien, maybe more...plus the various posthumous volumes and such. (I just Tuesday bought a copy of "The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion," essentially an annotation of the work.) With all that raw data, it's hard to remember just where I saw one particular thing.

My mind is cluttered with all sorts of utterly useless information. Someday I may shoehorn some of it together and write a lengthy book on some non-fiction topic.

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
SF/fantasy writer Dave Wolverton (David Farland) has hypothesized that we enjoy stories because they are controllable stress.

As we read, we are the main character, and as such, his or her problems are our problems. We see an impossible situation, and we, as readers, must deal with it with the main character (and other secondary characters).

The nice thing about stories is that at the end, the problem is resolved. Even in a tragedy, some order must be resolved. As readers, we experience a stress response, which is relieved at the end.

The relaxing effect is twofold: not only do we essentially flex and then relax the parts of our brains that deal with stress, helping us relax, but we also take away from the story the message that our own problems also have resolutions. We get from the story that we can achieve order from the disorder in our lives.

I'm not sure if he's right, but it is an interesting theory. Really, I can't think of any other way to explain why people like horror books and movies or suspense thrillers with no real message.

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I really believe, storytelling along with all artforms is about quality of life. There is more to life than just surivival, it's about having reasons to survive, otherwise what's the point?

Functions such as stress relief seems a side benefit, not the whole reason. We need to create, we need to explore. Storytelling helps us do both.

It doesn't need to have a profound meaning or truth relating to the real world. It can create its own meanings and its own truths. The best fiction is a mirror, you recieve whatever meanings you bring to it.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has an essay
here that is relevant to this topic, in my opinion, anyway.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that. Salt in old wounds, and so on.

Oh well.

Some days I think I'm really close to figuring this one out. I mean it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.