Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Should I Use Past or Present Tense?

Author Topic: Should I Use Past or Present Tense?
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the second version. Many people (I am not one of them) dislike 1st person in general, but even I am not a fan of 1st person present tense.

The only times I've seen it used in a popular book is in the mainstream literature section, and to be honest I can't wade through those artsy-fartsy tomes.

Science fiction and fantasy readers, while they like their subject matter to be novel and boundary-pushing, they don't like their prose the same way.

While you are correct that the first example is more 'edgey and raw' I would put to you that those qualities are negatives in the genre market.

The second one feels more comfortable and familiar, thus it disappears into the background. When people read genre books, they don't want to be pulled out of the story by writing that is obvious; they want the writing to transparently expose the story behind it.

Read Orson Scott Card's excellent book on this type of thing: Characters and Viewpoint, which discusses exactly this scenario and the pros and cons.

Note: Anything CAN be done, even in sci fi. But it has a price. The question is if the price is worth it.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU, autumnmuse.

Brilliant advice. I think you're right.

Cheers for that,

Cheryl

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with everything above. When I read present tense, it makes me shudder. I constatnly am pulled out of the narrative, and it FEELS like I'm reading.

The 2nd one feels much more natural to me as a reader.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree with everything said above. I like the 2nd version better. I'm not much of a fan of present tense, especially in the sci-fi/fantasy genres.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, the second one, although present tense can be quite good when done right, even in first person. "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon, for example.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that when used sparingly, present tense can be quite appropriate. For example, my story "Respite" which you can read the beginning of at Intergalactic Medicine Show for free, uses third person past tense as the main vehicle to tell the story. However, when I wanted to really show my character's thoughts, I slipped into 1st person present tense.

As I said before, everything can be done if you have weighed the cost. Some readers found my technique jarring, but most seemed to either not notice it, or it didn't bother them. Thus, I feel the price was worth it for me personally.

But I would hesitate to write large blocks of text in 1st person present tense for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since the character is telling the story at some point ahead of when the incident happened, I would incline towards past tense.

I also incline towards more immediacy in verbs. "I sat at my kitchen table," rather than "I was sitting;" and "it rained in sheets" rather than "it was raining in sheets," and...well, you get the idea. (I wish I could follow my preaching as often as I do it, though...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.