Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I can't write SHORT stories.

Author Topic: I can't write SHORT stories.
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how hard I try. I find that whenever I write a "short story" I think "What about this? And this? And this?" And then I keep writing.

And writing.

And then I find myself with 25,000 word "short stories" that I cannot possibly sell to anybody.

I think that it may be because I place myself in my readers head and ask a million questions about the story / characters / plot and then try to asnwer them all.

Any tips for "short" story writing?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have any tips, because I suffer from the same problem. I was supposed to write a short story for class a while back and it ended up around 30 pages or something. Ooops.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Its frustrating for me, as I really, honestly do set out to write short stories.

They just.... erupt.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
How's this?

Write novels instead.

Seriously. This is not a bad thing. Actually, it's probably a good thing.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no rule saying that you have to get short stories published in order to publish a novel. Sure, it makes it a lot easier (at least from what I have heard), but it's not absolutely necessary.

(I'm assuming this is why you are writing short stories in the first place. If not, then ignore everything I just said. )

Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I try to pound out short stories for a few reasons. First, it is to try to get stuff published before trying to sell my WIP novel. Second, I think its good practice to write little things instead of big stories all the time. Third, I'd like to be able to hand out short stories of mine to friends and family to show off my writing prowess .

But I think that I may just stick to novellas and novels.

We're not all cut out for the "short story" thing I guess.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or you just haven't hit your particular style of keeping the stories short. Keep practicing and trying new things; I'll bet it'll come eventually!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Can't help you as I have the opposite problem. I can't write long stories. Even if I think I have enough plot for a novel, once I start writing it, it naturally condenses and I find I once again have a short story.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
My natural style is detailed and long. To write shorter stories I have to limit the number of characters ( as in down to 2), limit the time period, use one location and make sure I have one plot with no off shoots. I think about a single moment when the world as my character knows it changes and I write from there. Personally, I have learned a great deal from writing short stories and I do think it has improved the quality of my longer works.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think severely limiting the number of characters, of locations and of plot ramifications was the answer. It doesn't really seem to be working anymore, though (I peak at 7000 words and it doesn't really get shorter anymore).

I'm reasonably sure some of us are not cut our for short fiction, although writing short fiction, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is a very good exercise (but then, so is writing a novel).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Try time limited writing.

If you only give yourself 1 hour to complete a story, you will be limited by your typing speed and will by force have to deal with less words.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
*plugs Liberty Hall*

[This message has been edited by 'Graff (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers Graff on*

The flash challenges are certainly a good place to write short.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, doing flash does help you to write shorter and faster. It isn't easy for me to switch gears between novel and short stories. The more I work on a novel, the less I find I can keep short stories short.

I say stick with novels.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest thinking about a short story as no more than a chapter or a scene of a longer novel. Often, authors will write a short story, only to expand it later into a novel. One of these that comes to mind is OSC's Ender's Game, which started out as a short story. The opposite works as well, and many authors publish exerpts from a novel as a short story because the small snippet can stand alone.

Not only does this give you an opportunity to produce shorter, sellable fiction, but will enhance your novel writting skills by forcing chapters to become more stand-alone segments, giving distinct chapter breaks, which always seems to enhance a novel, in my opinion.

If you want to check how this works, take a look at one of your own novel attemps and see if a chapter from it might fit. Or look at a published novel from an author you like, and see if any of their chapters might be able to stand alone.

Sometimes some modification might need to be done, or a little bit added to make it complete enough, but usually not much and sometimes none at all. I will also point out that it is ok to leave some unanswered questions in the readers mind as long as it doesn't keep the story from feeling finished.

Maybe try this out on F&F by cutting out a chapter that you think works as a stand-alone and see if others think it does too.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Berrisford
Member # 3114

- posted      Profile for Tom Berrisford   Email Tom Berrisford         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same problem with short story explosion. A few weeks ago, I started writing a story that I was targeting for Analog. I had seen that they were in need of stories under 7500 words and thought I had a story I could tell in that space. The story ended up growing to over 48,000 words, becoming the second novel I now have in 1st draft.

I recently read the Writer's Digest Handbook on Novel Writing (March 1992). It included a chapter titled "To Make a Short Story Long..." by Orson Scott Card. At the end of the chapter, he says that once he learned to write novels, he encountered the same problem where he could no longer write short stories and, jokingly, called for someone to write a chapter/article on making long stories short. I found this interesting and encouraging.

That said, I just completed the 1st draft for a story that is roughly 6700 words. As has already been suggested, I focused on only one character and avoided lengthy descriptions. I don't know if this technique will work next time, but at least it worked once. Of course, my stories tend to grow a little on revision as I find myself adding more to descriptions and internal thoughts. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep that from happening this time.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Writing a short work is a different mindset than a long work. You can't answer every question. You need to concentrate on what is really important. You can't have a lot of plot complications and you can't get into depth for too many characters. You can write an effective short story around one central complication or theme. I suggest you write some flash, under 500 words. That will force the point home.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
--rcorporon

Try to write more dialog and less exposition. Let your characters' voices describe the world they're in, or at least refect it.

Look at Hemingway's short stories on hunting for instance. Everything is very minimal, but the way the character's speak and interact, the environment reveals itself with very little help.

Just my 2¢.

-JF

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you write a twenty-five thousand word story when intending to write five thousand words or less---cut. Cut, and keep cutting, and then cut some more. Be as brutal as a magazine editor who's cutting for space. Does this subplot or this character belong here? Should this scene even be here? Do I need this whole paragraph? Do I need this sentence?

By the end, you might be taking individual words out with a tweezer. But if you've done your job you should wind up with a short story where once a novelette lay.

(I suppose cutting is on my mind because I've been writing up the second draft of a story and just passed through a scene that's never worked right for or felt real to me. (A memorial service some time after a school shooting, if you must know.) When I write the next draft, I plan to take it out and close things up around the hole.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Try writing flash (1000 word) stories.
There are several sites around here with flash challenges. It will help you learn to focus your stories.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto the flash suggestion. Also, reading a ton of short fiction helps immeasurably. I find that after two or three novels in a row, I start thinking bigger, and I need to switch over to anthologies for a week or so just to get my head back in the right space.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Thanks for all the great advice!

I think I may try to get going at Liberty Hall (or some other flash writing site) and see how that works out, although I'm sure my first attempts will be horrific!

I love this site! You guys rock.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You're invited, if you want to give LH a try. Notebored also does it, and Scrawl.

Or, you can do it yourself with a small group of friends and just email to everyone.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I think I'll join the insanity at LH and see how it goes .

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it's time for me to recommend one of my favorite how-to-write books.

If you want to write short stories, you really ought to get a copy of a short, inexpensive book entitled WRITING IN GENERAL AND THE SHORT STORY IN PARTICULAR by Rust Hills.

Then read it every so often. I thought I could only write novels before I read that book. After I read it, I sold six short stories.

I think I'll go find it and reread it again.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, Kathleen that sounds good. Even though I have more of a problem of writing short, I wonder if it would help me anyway?
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Autumnmuse, it helped me wrap my brain around the idea of what short stories actually are, so it might help you.

It's short, and it can't hurt. Go for it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.