Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Free Writing Submission Software

Author Topic: Free Writing Submission Software
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
My husband, Fahim, programmer and fellow writer, has written & released WriteTrack. WriteTrack is software designed for writers to track and make their writing submissions, ie articles, novels, short stories, etc to agents, editors, and publishers. It's free.

You can read more about it here, or download it directly from here.

Fahim is looking for feedback and feature suggestions. In non-geek speak, that means he wants to know what's wrong, what doesn't work, and what you think needs to be added or changed. Please go to his forum to give him aforementioned feedback and feature suggestions.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked it over yet, but here's what I wish a program would do for me.

Let me list markets
Let me list stories
Let me tell it when I submit, publish, or get rejected

and (the thing I haven't found yet)

It should tell me when too much time has expired and I should assume the MS was lost, and resubmit or market elsewhere.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at it and let you (or your hubby) know what I think.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the database software I had been using has annoyed me for the last time. It keeps reversing the dates I put in, so that 01/02/2006 turns into 02/01/2006. So I'll try out Fahim's software and see if it's any better.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the dates are auto corrcting to British format.
There may be a preference you could change.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

In all honesty, it could also mean auto correcting to American usage. It's not clear from the example which way it's going.

Fahim tells me that the date format in his program is based on regional settings.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

quote:
You mean the dates are auto corrcting to British format.
There may be a preference you could change.

Nope. It's an error, not an auto-correction. The input does require dates in British format, which doesn't bother me. So August 16, 2005 is entered as 16/08/2005. So January 2, 2006 would be 02/01/2006. Yet when I come back to it, it has been changed to 01/02/2006. No matter how many times I change it back, it never stays fixed.

So I tried out Fahim's program last night. It's mostly functional at this point, and I think it has a lot of potential. I have a list of comments that I'll post at his forums when I get a chance.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

Cool beans! Yep, he wants comments and he wants to know how it can be improved, so yes, please!
Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
And the point of this software is what? When John D. MacDonald started writing he kept 30 stories in the mail at a time. This was back in the 1940s. He worked on a typewriter. There were no computers. Yet he managed to keep track.

Would someone please tell me other than knowing which story is at which market, and when you sent it, what more do you need?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

Um, if that's all you need, that's fine. Others have other requirements in mind.

No one is actually requiring that you either download it or use it.

MCameron
Member # 2391

It's the same point that any business software has: it makes it quicker and easier to keep track of information. Sure, you could do everything by hand, but I would rather spend that time writing (or procrastinating, as the case may be).

*taps foot impatiently*

Still waiting for the forum registration to go through...

--Mel

quidscribis
Member # 2240

Mel, he's asleep (I have insomnia) and he approves manually due to excessive spammers in the past. He'll do it when he wakes up in *checks time* six more hours-ish.

It's that whole dang living halfway around the world from everyone else we communicate with online thing.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
other than knowing which story is at which market, and when you sent it, what more do you need?
Well . . . you might want to keep track of which stories have actually sold. Also how much you got paid for them. Also, how much you've spent on postage, paper for cover letters and printouts, envelopes, etc., for tax deduction purposes. Also, who is the editor at that market? If an editor changes magazines, for example, you don't want to submit your story to the new magazine when the editor has already seen it. In fact, you also want the name of the first reader (especially if the story never got to the editor's attention) for the same reason. You can also use this information to decide to resubmit to the same market, if both the first reader and the editor have changed.

Stuff like that. You don't need a computer program for any of this. And you can still type your stories on a typewriter. But who would want to?

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

I was hoping that if you were awake, so was he. Oh well, I'll check back later.

--Mel

Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
So in other words, if you're regularly selling your work it's a good thing.

Not there yet.

Q: Who would want to work on a typewriter?
A: Harlan Ellison.

[This message has been edited by Karloff (edited January 17, 2006).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

Mel, assuming I remember this in the morning, I'll suggest to him that he make me a mod so I can approve new members. You know, make the lives of other people easier. Not you, unfortunately, cuz it'll be too late...
quidscribis
Member # 2240

Mel, you're approved.
MCameron
Member # 2391

I saw! I've already posted all sorts of features that I want.

--Mel

MCameron
Member # 2391

quote:
wbriggs said:
and (the thing I haven't found yet)

It should tell me when too much time has expired and I should assume the MS was lost, and resubmit or market elsewhere.

WriteTrack has this functionality now, Will.

--Mel

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
How is this better than the spreadsheet that I keep?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

Since I have no idea what your spreadsheet is like, this is impossible to answer completely.

What I can tell you, though, is that WriteTrack has a database of agents, publishers and the like, and not only can you use it to track your submissions, you can also use it to make your submissions. That is, it has mail merge with templates that you can use to send out printed queries or email queries.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah. That's pretty cool. I didn't know it had that stuff. I'll probably never use the mail merge feature, but just how extensive is that database?
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

You have to build the database yourself. Would your really want to have to scroll through a hundred markets that you've never used to find one that you have?

The way I do it is every time I send a story to a completely new market, I enter the information then. That way my database only contains markets that I've actually subbed to.

--Mel

quidscribis
Member # 2240

Fahim has considered compiling a database of all agencies/publishers that we have information for, but it would be labour intensive. Also, that database, if he/we did it, would likely be a paid feature, unlike the software itself, which is free.

Mel, thanks for being so quick to answer questions.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've downloaded the software. I see that now, and it makes perfect sense. I'm still trying to feel my way around the program and haven't had much time to play with it yet.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fact that Fahim isn't asking any kind of payment for his creations. You don't find people like that out there very often. I've downloaded the software, but with me, there's always a fairly lengthy learning curve with stuff like that, so it may take me awhile to offer up suggestions--and by then he may have already updated it significantly. Still I'm going to try it and see what I think as I'm planning on subbing a lot in the next couple of weeks.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.