Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » POV Question

Author Topic: POV Question
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about something. (Maybe this belongs in F&F)

Here are two sentences from a paragraph: Air whistled and squeaked as it fled the bus. Neil's ears popped, each breath tasted crisp...

One person said that it's a POV problem, it's almost as if air has become the character. Because previously I established the POV character, I didn't think I needed to say: Neil heard air whistle and squeak...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 16, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winship
Member # 2947

- posted      Profile for Winship   Email Winship         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have established a 3rd person limited POV then I would say that is a violation because everything needs to be centered on the MC and how it effected them.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
On the contrary, if Neil is the POV character, then the assumption is that anything that happens or is described is seen by that character. The point is, you only say things about "the air" that Neil notices and is affected by. What you have is fine.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It would only be a problem if you _hadn't_ established 3PL, deep penetration, so we didn't know who perceived the air.

But I often find that somebody will misinterpret 3PL deep as narrator intrusion:

quote:
"The music is delightful," Joe said. Yep -- about as delightful as a root canal.
might get the comment: why is the narrator telling me what to think about the music?

I'm not willing to give up 3PL deep, so I have to ignore such comments.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with wbriggs. Ignore the criticism. One thing that I became aware of quite quickly is that critiquers often seem to be on a mission to find problems. Sometimes we all overreach when we critique, or overstate what truly is a minor issue, if it is one at all.

These sentences seem perfectly fine to me and gives the reader a closer connection with the POV character, as long as the identity of the POV character has been made clear. Many very good authors use the technique, and I'd encourage the use of it.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited January 16, 2006).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as Neil is aware of the wind, this is fine.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
So apparently the bus came from a different elevation or through an atomospheric disturbance of some kind? Is this some kind of space bus? Sorry. But yeah, the POV issue is fine. I'm just wondering where he is and why the atomospheric effects on him are the most noticeable thing.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds hokey and I hope it's handled better than what I'm about to say, but bottom line: The bus collides with an interdimensional entity, who accidently transfers them into another universe. By that time, it has no idea where they came from, or where to put 'em. So yeah, the bus ends up in vacuum for a bit.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raconteuse
Member # 3119

- posted      Profile for raconteuse           Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 lines you posted above do not create a POV conflict. Convincing 3rd person can be maintained even if the MC is not the subject of every single sentence in the narrative.

The only possible reason I can imagine for your critiquer's comment might relate to the weight of the description of the air's sonic performance in proportion to the rest of the paragraph (but without the context of the paragraph, I really couldn't say). If you want to get some use out of his/her comment, you might see if the description of the air overbalances the scene in which it appears.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No violation encountered. The lines don't establish POV, but you only need to do that once for each new POV segment (please note that a interuption of POV such as a scene shift or flashback can require starting a new POV segment even if the same POV character is used in both segments).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.