Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » On endings

Author Topic: On endings
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been asking myself this question for a while: what makes an ending satisfying? My guess is:

- it has to be coherent with the rest of the story (ie deliver on the implicit promise you made at the beginning, be consistent with your world and characters, etc.)
- but it has to be somewhat unexpected, while not leaving the reader scratching his head in perplexity
- it has to stick in the reader's mind

I know that. I can't (yet) put it into practice consciously. My endings come out of the blue of my unconscious, or my beginnings are left aside because I can't think of a sufficiently good ending.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think an ending has to be unexpected, rather it should follow from the rest of the story. Think of those classic stories that stay with you. How many have surprise endings?

What an ending should do is deliver on the main conflict(s) in the story. To me a good ending is dependent on a good start and middle. If you don't build the story properly the ending won't work well. There has to be that rise in tension and conflict so the ending is a true culmination and not just a petering away.

If you think you're ending is not working then it may well be due to the middle part not building towards the conflict effectively. There should be some uncertainty of course so that the reader has to read on to find out what happens, and you can make the way you reach the ending unexpected.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Good points.
Although being able to tell the ending from the moment the story starts is not a very good sign

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver3, I'm not sure you are doing anything necessarily wrong. Some authors will plan a story or novel from beginning to end before writing a single word. Others will wing it all the way through. The particular method is up to the author, but both have significant impact on what I think you might be feeling. Every author has to determine the path their story is to take, and the beginning and ending are two hardest parts, in my opinion, and are often changed and rewritten.

I would guess that you write your stories without planning. Therefore, you plan as you write, figuring things out as you go. The ending might be surprising even to yourself, but since you haven't known that ending all along, you feel it might be inadequate.

The question I think you need to ask is whether the ending made sense, and was good for the story, no matter what you thought about it. Sometimes as authors, we're too close to our own work to give it an unbiased assesment. Maybe let the story sit for four to six weeks without thinking about it, then reread it and make another assesment. Or submit it to others to critique without telling them your feelings about the ending. If the consenses is that the story doesn't end well, then change or adjust it. Often critiques can be a great deal of help in determining a good ending as others will make suggestions that will triger additional ideas.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good points, yanos.

Let me add that the "twist ending" is in vogue at the moment but I believe this will be a relatively short-lived trend in literary histories, but one that will inevitably cycle in and out of popularity.

Meanwhile, while a good twist ending will stick in your guts at the moment of reading, I find that very few create lasting memories.

Now, let's distinguish the twist ending from the surprise ending from thesaitsfying ending from the predictable ending.

Predictable: If I read your first chapter and can tell you how the story will go from there without bothering to read it, then you have a predictable ending. This is a waste of time.

Satisfying: A satisfying ending may even be something I suspect will happen, but I cannot *know* it for sure. Also, the beginning and the middle have to be compelling enough that it sweeps me through to the end in a way that I scarcely even notice that I'm at the end until the next page in the book is blank. A good satisfying ending is, in my opinion, the best. These tend to be memorable. They also tend to leave me sitting there, thinking and even dreaming about the book for hours after.

Surprise ending: When you didn't see the ending itself happen, it's a surprise. These can be complete bunk. Let's say you were reading a horror book and in the end you find out that it was all some elaborate prank and no one really died. This is a surprise ending. It's not, IMHO, a twist ending because, more than likely, it was not laid out in such a way that we could have guessed. Bad mysteries often have surprise endings. Like the episode of CSI when I found out in the last two minutes that the suspect had a twin and she did it. Come one!

Twist ending: A good twist ending is potentially predictable. If there's no way to see it coming, it's a surprise ending and it's a cheat. (A surprise ending might work in comedy or a few other times, BTW). You have to leave yourself open to having your twist ending discovered in order for it to be satisfying. But a good writer knows how to make the clues subtle and really elicit that, "Wow, I should have known!" moment. Twist endings are fun. I do enjoy them. I just wish people didn't think ALL stories had to end that way.

Now, for some other unsatisfying endings:

No end: Heimlein has no end to his stories. Thehy just sort of stop.

Anti-climax: The end culminates with the climax. If your climax is weak or nonexistent then you've got a bad ending.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Thanks for the clarification, Christine! It helps a lot.
luapc: unfortunately, if I have no idea where the story is going, I don't write a first draft. I may write entire bits of scenes with the characters, but I don't actually start writing the story.
It occurs to me that this approach could be summed up as "exploring the characters and the plot". Ok, my mistake. I do discover things while writing

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Aristotle, what's needed is that the character learns something. It may be true or false, bad or good, but the character has to change.

In OSC's class, we were brainstorming for something, and I said we didn't have an ending. A problem I saw was that the MC was powerless to affect the outcome of the story; happy or sad ending was simply random chance. He said that was an American perspective, but not universal. Maybe so. But if someone's actions have no effect on the outcome, I don't see a reason for chronicling those actions. In War of the Worlds, the MC was helpless to destroy the Martians, but his actions did have one powerful impact: he survived.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a loss...the "MC?" Seems to be shorthand for "the narrator," or maybe "the main character" to match up with the initials.

If I recall right, the guy in "The War of the Worlds" (H. G. Wells version) not only survived but had a happy reunion with what was left of his family and world...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
John Gardner wrote a book called ON BECOMING A NOVELIST. In it, he defines what a plot is. A plot is a character who wants something, struggles to get it, and either succeeds or fails.

So you really only have to choices. Does your character get what he wants? Or does he not get what he wants? Whether the ending is satisfying depends on everything that comes before it.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put, the ending is a fitting conclusion to a good story. The story should set up the ending so that the story concludes at its logical time and in logical order. Bad endings are like songs that never stop. They become monotonous and bothersome and, at times, down right painful.

I like my writing to flow with the fluid ease of water. Each word has a meaning and the words when put together should follow a rhythm. For me my words have to be like electricity and follow the path of least resistance. Endings, like beginnings should come naturally, they should not be forced into place or coerced. If the story calls for a twist in the end then it should be in it. If the story calls for everyone to live happily ever after then so bit. But the events as told by the writer has to logically lead up to the end. The reader should be able to reflect on the events leading to end and say, “Yeah, that’s right,” not “Oh come on!”

When I set out writing, naturally, I have a story idea. However, all that I really have is a beginning and an end and a coupla ideas for some kick booty scenes in the middle. How I get from the beginning to the end is determined as I start writing.

Should endings should always surprise or comfort us? Maybe some endings take us out of our comfort zone. Not all crimes have to be solved, not all problems are clearly resolved , the bad guys don’t always have to get caught, not all sexual tensions have to end with friends and partners sleeping with each other. Endings such as this, usually set the stage for another story.

Peace,
Scott

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
Some endings, as has been said before, are completely predictable (although that's not always a bad thing). Others aren't. Of the second group the best ones (for me) are the ones that make me think "Of course! Why didn't I see that coming?" and then I want to go read the whole book over again so I can spot the clues and see how it all makes sense it retrospect. Even if you can't guess the ending before, it should fit the story and be believable once revealed.

Really though, not all endings have to be a surprise. Many of my favorite books ended exactly the way I would have guessed had I thought about it, only I usually didn't because the story was so engaging. It's the boring, badly written books that usually leave me thinking to myself, "I wonder how this is going to end? Maybe he'll win. Maybe he'll die. Maybe I'll make salmon for dinner tonight..." as I read them. The good books, as was also said before, are the ones that you totally forget that there will be an ending until you realize that you just finished the last page.

Now I've got a question for everybody else. The ending I'm thinking of using for my current WIP is what you might call the indeterminate ending (I don't know the real word for it) where you don't actually know whether the hero lives or dies, because the story ends right during the "last battle." What are your thoughts about that kind of an ending? Do you feel cheated or that the author couldn't make up his mind? Can that be a powerful, memorable ending, or does it make you want to throw the book across the room?

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Unless it's really well done (see the end of "Hart's Hope" for instance), not knowing what happens next really bugs me.

The problem is that if the whole question of your story is who will win the last battle, you're toast if you end it on a "cliffhanger". If the whole question was whether your hero could get enough guts to accept his role as a saviour...Dunno. That one might work, but it depends a lot of how you handle it. Difficult to pull off.

Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Two thoughts on endings:

If anyone's watched "The Princess Bride," there's a point where the little boy who's being read to says, "Who's going to kill Humperdink?" And the Grandfather replies something like, "What do you mean? Humperdink doesn't have to die." "Yes, he does," says the little boy. "Who does it?"

To me, this illustrates a lot about endings. Sometimes you pretty much know how it's going to end: the good guys will win, the badguy die, and peace restored. The real question, then, is -- how are these guys going to pull that off, and who's going to be alive at the end to celebrate? Lord of the Rings is like this. I expected the ring to get destroyed and Sauron to fall. But, I certainly didn't know how that was all going to happen. I think these are often the most satisfying endings.

And then, on endings that let you decide for yourself...I've only ever liked this once -- in Frank Stockton's "The Lady of the Tiger." And it only worked for him because the entire story was about not knowing the outcome. On the other hand, I just finished watching a Japanese animae where things weren't resolved. Most things were...but, at the end, the two brother who were the main characters were separated -- and there's only a vauge symbol of hope that they'll ever see each other again. Argh! I loved the series, but the ending make me want to scream at someone. I don't want to guess. I want someone to tell me. I went through too much of an emotional investment to just be left hanging with no feeling of resolvement. I don't want to read 400 pages of a book, either, to find out that the author didn't finish it for me. Sometimes, I think there's that temptation not to finish it, because you don't know how it should finish. Finish it anyway, do the work, then have some people read it. Ask them if they'd like the book better if the ending wasn't told, and see what they say. I'm fairly sure no one would rather have been left in the dark.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's why I'm thinking of ending it like that: I realized that the story is no longer "hero conquers the enimy and saves the world", but rather "hero conquers his fears and decides that he's willing to try to save the world, even if it could cost him his life." The real antagonist in the story isn't the enimy but the hero himself, so in my mind that battle, the battle that's really important to me, has already been won.

I want to not tell whether he lives or dies (although it will be clear that he did manage to save the world) becuase I think it distracts from the real point of the story. I am worried, however, that readers might not like that as much as I do.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah a story like that sounds intriguing, but unless it was done really well, I think it would really irk me, personally. Because even if the main conflict is the MC deciding whether or not he was willing to risk his life fighting the antagonist, the fact that there is a physical "bad guy" to fight is at the very least a quasi-important subplot. And loose subplot threads at the end of a novel irk many readers, including myself.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Andy,

I think the plot is workable. It's the reluctant hero/underdog sort of thing.

In real life these stories become mythic. We see them in the cases of war heroes, people who win the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Victorian Cross. The guy who never wanted to be a hero but, through fate, winds up saving his entire platoon by taking out a machine gun nest. I have no idead what the book was like, I imagine it was pretty much the same, but the movie version of Kingdom of Heaven was like that.

I do think that if the MC dies, then his death would have to spur the others on to victory, almost like his death becoming a battle cry.

Peace,
Scott

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when you resolve the major dramatic tension of the story, you're done.

So in Andy's suggested story, the reader doesn't need to know what happens after the hero demonstrates that he's willing to go all the way, even if it costs him his life.

All the same, you have to be careful. Just because you told yourself that one thing was the major dramatic tension in the story, that doesn't mean that the audience will agree. You need to take a look at where your story began before you can know where it ought to end.

Take Lord of the Rings. What if the story ended after Gollum fell into Orodruin and the mountain started blowing up? Why wouldn't that work?

Because we didn't start the story with the creation of the Ring (leaving aside the movies, which didn't do this either), we started it with Frodo et al living happily in the Shire. While the story contains an epic struggle between good and evil, the real dramatic tension, page by page, is supplied by the question of whether any of the heroes are going home again. The whole war is just something getting in the way of their quest to get home.

At least, it's that way for some readers. The point is that those readers have a justification for thinking that way, because of where Tolkien chose to start his story.

In other words, if you don't want the reader to be invested in the question of whether the hero survives to go back home, don't show him leaving home at the beginning of the story. Because whatever tension you introduce at the beginning of the story becomes more important the longer you leave it unresolved. No matter how trivial it seems at first blush.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
For me to be satisfied with an ending, I have to feel the characters have come to a conclusion with this segment of their lives.

I'm afraid to admit it, but I'm one of the many who hate endings that jerk my emotions around without giving me time to recover. As an example...

*** WARNING: SPOILER ALERT FOR MOVIE "SERENITY" ***

At the end of the movie "Serenity" one of my favorite characters is suddenly killed. Bam! No foreshadowing, and worse - no real emotional impact shown on the other characters. And the movie ended shortly after, giving me no time to recover from this emotional upset and to come to grips with the character's death and how that would affect the others.

I left the theater unhappy. The only reason to kill the character was to show that war sucks. But by killing the character and not showing the emotional fall-out of that loss in the other character's lives, the death, as a plot device, backfired for me as a viewer.

This moved the story from something where I would have bought the DVD and watched it several more times, to leaving me like I don't care if I see it again. The ending ruined the story for me.

I would have preferred for the writers to not kill the character, but even if they left that part in, they could have made the ending more satisfactory if the other characters didn't react with such stoicism to the death, if they showed their emotions and discussed how it was going to change their lives.

Think about the movie "Titanic"... the ending worked, because even though you lost one of your favorite characters, you knew the other would go on. It gave us time to grieve and to deal with our feelings before the story ended.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
As an avid Firefly fan myself I have to disagree with you Elan.

****** more Serenity spoilers belew, don't read if you haven't seen it!!! *************

He was a very likable character and though I wouldn't have considered him one of my favorites, I was sad to see him go. But I think the very intense and immediate impact his death had on Zoe was very vividly seen. She was all but committing suicide trying to stand up to the reavers several minutes later, very gung-ho about getting revenge, and not paying much attention to her own life. I think the only reason the other characters didn't seem to react very much was that they were, themselves, in a life a death situation, and it wasn't really a time to mourn, nor would the reality of the situation really have hit them yet.

I know I would (and have) reacted that way when a friend has suddenly died and I learn the news, not with immediate grief, but a blank lack of understanding. Until the reality of the situation really sinks in, which it hadn't yet, I think their reaction was right on cue.

Would I have preferred he stay alive? Yes. But honestly I like the fact that some characters died. I think it's a personal thing of mine, but I get tired of the idea of a "group of ragtag heros going up against the universe" and always coming out unscathed. Even if the good guys still win, the fact that not everyone makes it out alive makes the plot more "realistic" in my mind, and makes the sacrifice of those who died all the more noble, and the actions of those who had to continue on even when a friend has just died even more heroic.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...what about a "circular" ending? That is where you end the story with the pov facing a similar problem to the initial one which formed the novel. However, at this point the pov has all the experiences derived from facing a similar problem and the reader hopes/wants to see that the pov will handle it better (differently?) this time.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
(Serenity spoiler if it hasn't aleady been spoiled by the above posts!)

I think that killing off Walsh wasn't too big of a change. He was a very likable character, but he wasn't too important. He piloted the ship and whined a lot. He was mainly comic relief. There was no real point to the death except to heighten tension. It allowed the audience to wonder: "If Walsh died, is everyone else going to survive?" All bets were off once the spike went through his chest, yanno? And the characters did respond to the death, mainly Zoe. She went off the deep end. Mal responded by steeling himself even more to succeed. That victory was for Walsh and Book and everyone that had died because of him.
(Spoiler over! Safe waters ahead!)

Anyway, here's my take on endings. I think it's already been said, but there has to be some kind of change in the main character by the end. He has to come out of the experience a different person, even if that difference is only slight.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki, unless I had a pretty clear idea from the story what exactly the character would do differently, I'd feel a bit frustrated if the author didn't show me what the character actually did and whether or not the different approach succeeded.

Though, come to think of it, in a "the MC learned better" kind of story, it wouldn't even need to come back to the same kind of problem. All the ending would need to show is that the MC recognizes what he did wrong before and resolves to do things the right way if/when he gets another chance. Any hint that he was going to get another chance would then be "icing on the cake" so to speak.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.