Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Lull in My Confidence as a Writer

Author Topic: A Lull in My Confidence as a Writer
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel . . . it's like roller-coaster. One minute, your thinking your going to be the next big thing and then like a nano second later, you think you are a horrible writer and will never do anything other than eek out mediocre sentences. I know how that down slump feels. I remember once, I got one of the books from one of my favorite authors and was reading his hooks to see how they were compared to mine and his writing style is a lot different than mine and so I was feeling bad because I could never be that good. How I got over it? Well, I'm reading one of his books now and I am find all kinds of things that aren't perfect. That doesn't make him any less of an author, but it shows me that even the "professionals" have flaws--so just because I have them doesn't mean that I am a bad writer.
I think I'm kind of in a similar situation because I am editing my novel and I'm seeing so much that is bad or just doesn't work and it is frustrating because then I have to go in and fix the problems (sometimes it's like "Who wrote this stuff? Yuck!")
But I say rejoice in all the yuck stuff that you find because it means that your looking at your story through new eyes--it's a lot easier to edit when your looking at it through new eyes, instead of the I-love-this-story eyes of when you first write it.
Sometimes, I think you can try the attention-wanting child method for this (it worked for me).
You know how sometimes, children will act up to get attention from their parents? If the parent's punish them, they are giving them attention--so they say just to ignore the bad behavior and they'll stop.
Well, that works great for novels. If you have a little novel that is just giving you a headache and the editing is not working . . . just put it aside. Pick up a new project. Maybe the rough draft for a new story or a short story. I've used both new story and short story--they works miracles. After a bit of time, your trouble-maker novel will come crawling back, begging you to work on it again. It's amazing how if you put something aside for even a day or two, when you re read it, it is like bam--I could change this part to make it better and edit this.
I guess the last thing I can say is just don't give up . . . because you've taken the time to write a story and are taking more time to edit the story means that you are an author--the world just doesn't know it yet--but they will, just don't give up.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not alone! Don't despair!

One writing book I read, (Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course by Jerry Cleaver) addresses this exact situation. In fact I highly recommend you read it for more information, but I'll go over a couple of his main points.

On the subject of emotions he says: "It's like having a trusted friend who helps you with everything, whom you *must* depend on to get anything done, but who every so often without warning and for no reason decides to clobber you."

What separates successful writers from ones who never make it has nothing to do with an author's perception of him or herself. The successful writer is the one who finds a way past it and emerges into the light at the end of the tunnel.

Fact: this isn't the only time in your life you'll feel this way. It's part of the creative process. So what do you do about it?

Recognize the fact that your emotions are irrational, and that they are perfectly normal.

Then give yourself permission to write one or two sentences of what you're working on, and stop. Don't worry about the quality. Let those sentences kind of drift into your subconscious while you do something else. Then do that again. If you can get five minutes in, that's great, and you're already working past the block.

Work on turning off the internal editor. When you get depressed it is a sign that the editor is on overdrive and needs to be sedated . Just focus on producing anything no matter how terrible.

And lastly, if you can't even do that, make a promise to yourself to never give up writing entirely, because you're depressed. Make the proviso that you can quit anytime you are in a good mood, but never when you aren't. Then, next time you're in a good mood, try writing and it probably won't be as bad as you think.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Jessica I 'juggle' with my writing, if one piece is going nowhere I switch to someting else...
Emotionally we all have our ups and downs, and being human they affect our writing and our ability to judge...whatever you do don't abandon a story - just put it to one side and divert your attention elsewhere
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you friend. I finished reading Martin's "Feast for Crows" and then re-read my own novel WIP. I wanted to delete it all and stop writing forever.

I just reminded myself that Martin is Martin, and I am me. Really, it sounds stupid, but it helped.

Let other writers write their OWN books. Write yours.

Don't give up. The stories you have in your head need to be told, and if you don't, who will? And if they do, would you be happy with how they are told?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that way all the time. I'm feeling that way a lot right now actually.

When I read the latest draft of my WIP, and find it horrible, I try to remind myself that what I'm reading is an early draft of a relatively new writer's first novel. You have to remember that even the worst novels in the book stores are finished, final, polished drafts of a story written by someone who likely has several novels worth of experience. (Even when they call something someone's "first novel" they really mean "first published novel," which could very likely be the fourth or fifth novel that the person actually wrote.

It's too bad some good famous writer doesn't release the first draft of his first ever novel so that new writers can read it, see how horrible it is, and realize that everyone starts that way. (In one of is writing books OSC has the first draft of the opening page for Ender's Shadow, and he talks about how bad he thought it was, and how he changed it to what it is now).

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
It's normal to get depressed, but keep in mind that you can't get everything perfect the first time. If you ever feel that your WIP is crap, put it aside, and work on something else. (don't start destroying what might be perfectly valid for the sake of a depression).

And don't ever start comparing to a published author. They've got tons more experience, and several editors between the first draft and the final product.

As an aside, OSC said that every writer had two mode: the "I'm writing the best story in the world" and the "This is utter rubbish". He said it was perfectly normal

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfectly normal...and usually simultaneous.

Many's the time I've read someone's work, and it seemed so good that I couldn't possibly do anything as good. But, then, many's the time I've read something, and it seemed so awfully bad that I couldn't understand how somebody would print *that*, and my stuff can't find a home.

(Some of these awfully bad stories have been critically praised, even won awards. And, even on further look, I couldn't see it...and doubted the worth of the awards.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyndafitz
Member # 3154

- posted      Profile for lyndafitz   Email lyndafitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our "writer's insecurity" is natural because we don't get daily feedback on our writing as we do on other types of jobs. We just have to have faith that we're writers. If we weren't, we wouldn't have been given this intense drive to write, not to mention a way with words, a love of stories, etc., etc. Philosophy aside…

I'm not sure if you're editing a completed work or one in progress. If it's a completed work, one writing teacher at Emory told me that if a passage isn't working, look at it from a different angle or through someone else's eyes. If it's written from Joe's point of view, go back and write it through Jane's. Even if you go back to your original point of view, you'll have a much better understanding of what you're trying to get across. That's worked for me a bunch of times.

If it's a work in progress, I can share my own experience. Of course it reads like garbage! I long ago decided that rough first drafts are supposed to be ROUGH. I don't begin to edit until I type The End on the last page of my manuscript, primarily because I don't think we have a good idea of how the first chapters should read until we've written the final chapters. It will change with every word you write. The only thing I do is jot little memory joggers when I notice discrepancies. If I've decided that Brad should have ice blue eyes in chapter 17, I have to go back to chapter 2 where he was introduced and change those liquid brown eyes. I have a bulletin board over my desk where I post the notes to be used when I begin editing.

I draft a loose outline, and then write my entire first draft as quickly as I can. It usually takes editing a second draft before I have a final, but it's worth the extra step to me. And I think it saves a lot of mental anguish.

As a postscript: When I read authors that wow me (Barbara Kingsolver, among others), I feel inadequate…so then I read a really lousy book and KNOW that my work is better.

Keep on writing.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything that's been said.

But you have to realize that it takes years to become a good writer. Some people say you need to write 1,000,000 words before you have a chance. Others say 5,000,000. If you write 3,000 words a day you're looking between 1 and 5 years of work. It's daunting as hell, I know.

Most every writer has boxes of unpublished manuscripts. Sure, there are exceptions. But don't let the stories of the old pulp writers who sold their first stories they ever wrote get you down. (Heinlein) There were HUNDREDS of pulp magazines back in the 1940's.

Just keep writing and writing and writing and someday, hopefully, it will click for you (and for me).

For what it's worth, my goal this year is 1,000,000 words of fiction. (Big, yes, but worth striving for.) I'm not worrying about rewriting. I'm not worrying about publishing. I'm just writing to get all the dreck out. I'll re-evaluate where I'm at in 2007.

Until you're resigned to the fact that this is a long process you won't be at peace with yourself as a writer.

Final word.

The single-best article on how to become a writer is John D. MacDonald's "Introduction" to Stephen King's NIGHT SHIFT. Get a copy of it. Paste it on your walls. Read it daily.

[This message has been edited by Karloff (edited January 20, 2006).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in that mood myself and I need to "destroy" the short story that has caused me to feel that way. But I need a satisfying way to destroy it like shown in old movies. The writer sits in front of a manual typewriter and types a few sentences. Then, in disgust rips the paper out of the platen, which makes a satisyfying whirring and clicking noise; then the author crumples the paper with a satisfying crunch and throws the wadded up words across the room. The crumpled paper thumps when it lands next to a wastepaper basket overflowing with more crumpled-up wads of the story.

Now, all I can do is click "delete" on my computer screen and that is just not a very satisfying way of destroying the story. No sounds effects and no pile of trash. Even the desktop trash icon on the computer screen is not satisfying. But I must destroy that story to feel the emotion of finality and say goodbye before I can start again.

What's your most satisfying way of destroying that monster of a story you have created?

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just the schlump between Christmas and Valentine's day. You can't really get much mileage out of making fun of people for MLK day or President's day. Though you can make fun of retailers who honor them with sales. The cynicism batteries run low. I guess we could make fun of the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras. Are both still going in in the Big Easy this year?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
As a writer, you must always feel that your work is the best thing ever written, and also the worst thing ever written, and do it simultaneously.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be pessimistic, but I have a genuine question: How do you know the difference between a good writer suffering through a bad slump, and a bad writer?

On my worst days, this question haunts me.

On topic: You're depressed now, but you'll get over it. Trust me.

I wanted to say more, but most of it has already been said (along with some great things I haven't heard before), so I won't repeat them.

At the risk of sounding cliched, "This, too, shall pass."

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've said this before somewhere, but I don't know if I want to try to go find it right now.

When a writer begins to improve, that writer goes through a stage in which everything the writer writes looks like garbage. This is simply because there are two sets of skills that are improving, and they don't improve at the same rate.

First there are the writing skills, and second there are the critical skills.

What you all are describing is probably the developmental phase where the critical skills are improving faster than the writing skills. This is the stage that kills off more potential writing careers than any other.

What you have to do to get through this is to keep writing even though you think you are writing garbage. As long as you keep working at it, your writing skills are going to improve, even though they may not improve as fast as your critical skills.

I promise you that if you keep writing and keep improving, there will come a time when your writing skills will catch up and you won't hate your work.

I also promise you that you will go through this developmental phase more than once. You just have to keep at it.

The people who succeed are the ones who don't quit.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you know the difference between a good writer suffering through a bad slump, and a bad writer?

Time and work ethic. That's it.

If you've been writing for two years, you don't have enough time put in to make a good determination.

If you've been writing for twenty but write hapazardly, you don't have a solid enough work ethic to make that determination.

John D. MacDonald -- a favorite -- received 1000 rejections before he sold his first story. Have you received 1000 rejections?

Gene Wolfe received rejection letters for 10 years before he sold his first story.

My advice -- get a copy of John D. MacDonald's Introduction to Stephen King's NIGHT SHIFT and memorize it.

A KDW said -- those who succeed are those who don't quit.

[This message has been edited by Karloff (edited January 20, 2006).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
What KDW describes is probably what has got me down. I went into a writing workshop and was the first crit, which was of something I wrote nearly a year before. Then in the succeeding weeks we critted the other participants, and I didn't get to do much writing, but I learned more and more about how to critique.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
So now you know. For the past six months, everything I write is the greatest thing I've ever written. I post it for critique on Codex to help me find the holes I know are there. The day I decide that I'm too good to learn from somebody else is the day my writing career is finished.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Just goes to prove that writing isn't for the faint of heart. Like with that crazy maze on the other thread, sometimes you hit the wall. Glad you've recovered.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that you're back with us on the happy side of writing.

Keep at it!

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.