Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Holiday Stories - Timing

Author Topic: Holiday Stories - Timing
RedSakana
Member # 3127

- posted      Profile for RedSakana           Edit/Delete Post 
When is the right time to submit a holiday (e.g., Halloween, Christmas, etc) themed story, or does it matter? Do editors get flooded with stories right after a holiday (I always seem to write holiday stuff right around the holiday, and I'd imagine other people may do the same thing)?
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same question. I finished a Halloween story in late October and submitted it to WOTF. I'm looking at it from the positive point of view. If the editors read your story in the particular Holiday season, they will probably be more in the mood and spirit to be receptive to the story. And, because publishing lead times are so long, they may place your story in the que for next year's publication when the Holiday rolls around again.

[This message has been edited by Calligrapher (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musestower
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this will help but I read some submission guied lines for mags that said all holiday stories need to be submitted 6 months before the holiday.

HTH

Nicole

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to remove not-very-helpful link.

[This message has been edited by Isaiah13 (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the mag. Print mags are generally going to differ from online ones. It also depends on the frequency of the magazine. If you have one in mind, it's probably easiest just to query the editor and ask.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
right. every mag's different in how far in advance it works. When in doubt, query.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedSakana
Member # 3127

- posted      Profile for RedSakana           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good advice everyone
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I replied to this...oh well. It's covered. You just need to do some research and query the individual markets.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.