Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Breaking the narration

Author Topic: Breaking the narration
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to write a short based on myths. Is it a good, bad, or awful idea to insert, after each scene break, excerpts from myths and legends (very short excerpts, one or two paragraphs at most)?

It sets the mood nicely, but I'm afraid it might break away too much from the real narration (what happens to my MC).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Try it, and find out. If it works, it's a good idea.

I think you're smart to be concerned, but it's all in the execution. So find out.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently did something similar with a short SF story using biblical quotes from the New Testament. The story was critiqued in several stages by about 20 people. No one said they hated the usage and several said they liked the way it split the scenes of the story, so I know this kind of thing can work. I think the important thing is to make the snipettes relevant to the plot of the story and to each scene that they start.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I agree, try it out...though a short story seems too small a field to use more than brief comments about more than one myth or legend. (After all, Tolkien put lengthy slices of myth in a very lengthy story.)

Of course, I may be completely missing the point here. Are the myths / legends part of the culture of the story and created for the purpose, or our own culture's, where they are just, well, around? Or maybe some other existing culture's myths / legends are in play here?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

They myths are created by me and are part of the culture of the characters in the narration.

I'm just wondering if I'm not picking the lazy option to avoid info-dumps, and it bugs me. I hate taking the easy way out.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea personally. I agree that it breaks up a scene and prepares you for the next. Now, just to make sure I understand, the quote would prepare you for the next scene,yes?
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Not exactly, although it would have a connection with the scene. The narration deals with the same characters throughout, but at each break I insert a mini-quote.
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be plain to people who can't understand unless everything is pointed out but, I like stories that make me think.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this sort of thing done as a quote or preface to each chapter of a novel, but it seems that it would slow down the narrative in a short story. Although, I will admit I prefer short stories that run fairly quickly through the plot.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a tool, like a lot of them the tool needs to be used properly for the right job.
From what you say it seems you are using the right tool for your story. How about putting an example in the F/F section?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I did something like this. Everyone wanted to see more of the myths, which was a problem, because I was mostly concerned with the main story! Anyway, it can definitely work.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
For a great use of Interlogues on the Novel Scale take a look at Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy.

Each on of his interlogues is a nice little vignette.

I agree that a good interlogue is a great way to break up narration, however I would also say that a bad interlogue is a horrible way.

I mean to say that its better to not to do it all than do it poorly but I suppose you already knew that.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this sort of header can work to slow things down on purpose. That's a little inaccurate. If significant amounts of time pass between sections of a short story, then taking the reader somewhere else can help, precisely because it does break the action up.

If things move very quickly, then that slowing might not work for you. As Beth says, try it. It's easy enough to cut them later.

Actually...what I might recommend would be to write the story without them first, just use a placeholder, and then add them in after. That way the story can still stand on it's own for those folks who skip header text.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited February 01, 2006).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Mary: I've actually got the story (it's "City of the Gods", for the LHers who remember it)

A fair number of people complained about the lack of background, both on LH and another forum, though, so I thought I could insert some quotes to give a feel for the civilization. It's short, though, so I worried about slowing it down.

Thanks everyone for the answers! I'll be mulling this over (and trying it).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.