Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Contemplation Through Doing Nothing?

Author Topic: Contemplation Through Doing Nothing?
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
All writers need perspective and stepping back from your work is the only way to get it. Read and think. Make notes. Write a short story here and there. Then go back to the novel after a few weeks or months and see what you've learned to help you over the hump.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I do the same sort of thing. If I'm badly stuck, or if I just finished a draft of a novel, I'll stop writing for a bit. I'll read a fiction book. I'll read a book about writing fiction. I'll spend a lot of time here, and critique a few short stories from F&F. Then, when I go back to it, I've remembered all sorts of things about writing, and have had time to let my subconscious just work through things. I know some people advocate writing every single day, but this is what works for me -- long stretches of writing followed by stretches of not-writing, doing writing-related things.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I came to a dead halt in my novel... I knew something was wrong, but wasn't sure what. I did what you are doing; I read. I knew my problem was characterization and dialog. I read a book titled "Dialog" by Gloria Kempton, and suddenly it began to click. I went back and rewrote the chapter where I started losing momentum. I cleaned up the problem areas and resubmitted it to my critique group, who agreed it was greatly improved.

We are all novices, to some degree, elst we would be taking money baths in all the dough that a publisher was throwing at us. You HAVE to pause from time to time to analyze your work. It's the only way to improve.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Money baths . . . mmmmm.

I like to do all that daydreaming before starting the work. But it sure does take a long time.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in that exact way most of the time. I think and think and think and then write. Sometimes the thinking period is shorter, sometimes it's longer. I've written stories that I've thought about for a week or two, and I have stories still cooking inside my head that've been sitting there for years. They're almost ready to come out. Not yet, though. Maybe a bit longer.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Orson Scott Card spent two years thinking about Ender's Game -

- then wrote the first draft in two weeks!

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought -

As folks have said above, now and again you need to step back and get some perspective on the work, or just simply leave it alone for a while in order to let the subconscious work out a particularly knotty plot point.

To this end Stephen King works on several projects at once, thus enabling him to continuously produce even when he sets something on a back burner to percolate for a while. For example, if he hits a stumbling block during Book #1 he'll set it aside and work on Book #2 and then when/if that second book hits a stumbling block he'll go back to the first one, where he almost always finds that his subconscious has worked out whatever problem is was he was having with it when he abandoned it. More often than not, whilst all this is going on during the mornings and afternoons, he'll spend his evenings revising completed stories, i.e. short fiction, Book #3 etc.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Paul said about Stephen King. I find it so amazingly helpful to have like 3 or 4 different projects going so that if I get sick of one I can always work on or think about another one. Especially if you have one still in the planning stage cause then if you can't really get the words out at least you can think about the plot of another one.

I think it also helps to have a book and a video game to fall back on...as long as you don't get hooked and stop writing.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I do too, I have a few projects running, so if I'm stuck on one...As has been said.
That said, no method is fool-proof, personal preferences rule!
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot depends on the experience of the writer, and obviously their preferences.

Shortly before my 'introduction' to this forum, I'd writtern ~3000 words in an hour. I could've kept going, but I didn't like something about it. Prior to writing it, I spent some time thinking about it, but not a lot.

Mainly, I think it is just a matter of writing more, and learning more about writing (I've dug up and started my 10+ year old unread copy of Characters & Viewpoint). While I'm doing this now, I don't expect to have to do the same thing after I've writting 10k, 50k, 500k, words. Each progression teaches us something, so we're learning different things (hopefully anyway).

In an ideal world, I'd like to have multiple projects in progress at any given time.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, with David, Micaelangelo had to work with a less-than-ideal stone and it is one reason it took so long.

He preferred working with pure white carrara marble without flaws or imperfections of grain.

This meant he preferred working in an ideal medium with which he could do anything.

All writers are challenged by the imperfections, 1 of their craft and 2 of their characters.

To display a 'perfect' idealised figure in writing, as Michaelangelo did in sculpture, would be to create a cartoon. Essentially, a writer has to use imperfections and less-than-ideal situations to create 'perfect' stories.

It is a different kettle of fish.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 06, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Asimov wrote about this a little as well. He said that if he was stuck, he'd go watch a movie, or take a drive, or something.

He'd let his subconscious work through the problems, and when he went back to the story, he'd often find that he had tons of new ideas to work with.

I think he called it the "Eureka phenominom."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when you concentrate on a problem you focus too much on details without looking at the whole thing as a single entity. This often happens to those who post, rewrite, post, rewrite all in a matter of days.

Take a step back, chill out, and actually think about the whole story, including what you want, what your readers want, and what your characters want. After a couple of martinis or non-alcoholic equivalent everything should be in perspective.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is realted to the subject of finishing a story too.

When you finish something I think it is good to let it sit for a while (overnight or for a couple of days). If it is ready to send it will still be ready to send tomorrow or in a couple of days. If it is not ready you have given yourself the chance to make those final adjustments.

It is easy to send off a short story in great haste because it is 'finished' only to regret it the moment the mail-box flap swings shut.

Sleep on it first.

PS: In revising a novel, I think you probably have a clearer picture of whether it is ready to be sent off or not.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can offer is "a writer is always working."
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been meaning to mention...if the info in "The Agony and the Ecstacy" (the book, not the movie) was accurate, the block that Michealangelo carved his David out of was cut for somebody else, in a deal that fell through. And, I think, it was also contracted to be a David as well...

Contemplation and thought are fine, but commissions and deadlines will also help focus the mind...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard that the piece of marble was considered useless because it had a huge, long flaw in it. But Michaelangelo just removed the flaw when he carved out the space between David's feet.

I checked on the web, though, and couldn't find anything to support that story.

Oh, well.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was considered unusable because of something about its shape but whatever.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had always heard that it was unsuitable for use because one side had a gigantic marble flaw jutting out of it that looked like Mick Jagger's face.

Don't tell me that's an urban legend, too.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the original topic. Yeah, sometimes it is good to back away from a work. My subconscious will ALWAYS let me know when something isn't right, usually in the form of writer's block. But don't stop writing entirely. The very act of writing is necessary in order to improve. Get that novel's worth of drivel out of your system as quick as you can.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.