Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story outlines

Author Topic: Story outlines
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but could anyone describe HOW an outline should look and WHAT to include? I'm taking into consideration TOR's requirements for submitting a story to them: the first three chapters of the story and the outline of the rest of the book.
Now, I know the general idea of 'outlining'; say main point 1 and then the subsequent ideas under that heading and so on and so forth. But is there a set pattern or whatnot to follow in submitting the manuscript with that outline? Uh, help me untangle my mind around this will ya? Thanks. :-)

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Novel outlines are not like the table of contents of a non-fiction book. There are no roman numerals, levels of indendation, or any of that.

Basically, an "outline" is a synopsis. Depending on what they're asking for, it can be anywhere from a page to ten or fifteen pages. If it's one of the longer type, you'll probably have it broken out by chapter. The short type would just be narrative.

Write it in present tense, and don't put in any teasers (i.e., "to find out what happens next, you'll have to read the book").

If you don't find it painful and annoying to write, you're probably not doing a good job.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Adn if I understand it, just state the story plainly and simply. Not flashy. It's selling the story idea and giving enough info for someone to want to actually read the manuscipt and fall in love with your characters.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
More detail:

It should be present tense, and since we aren't used to it, it's easy to slip up and put part in past.

Find out how long it should be; requirements vary.

No cliffhangers. Tell the whole thing.

Some say no dialogue, but I think the point is, only if it's the best way to summarize.

I recently helped a fellow writer who'd written her synopsis, and it gave her the devil of a time. You can omit entire sections of the book as needed; you can omit characters; you can omit movements. What you *do* need to tell is what matters.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
when they say outline they just want something written about the contents of the rest of the book to show that you have actually finished the whole thing and understand how to carry a plot through.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susie
Member # 3224

- posted      Profile for susie           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have an article about outlines for short stories. I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like.

Susie

[This message has been edited by susie (edited February 08, 2006).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Please do send, Susie! Anything that helps me get a better grasp on stuff I'm way too ignorant in will be a big help! Thanks!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
susie:

Is the article something you can post or post a link to? I'm interested as well.

Otherwise, my email address is pjp@gentoo.org.

Thanks!

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.