Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Crits that annoy you

Author Topic: Crits that annoy you
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure we had that one somewhere, but I just need to let off steam

I just received a crit (from outside Hatrack) that said the whole story was good--except for two points. The writing, it said, was quite unprofessional, and the setting was not very good either (without telling me what the problem was with my setting). On top of that, I got a grammar lesson on the use of conjunctions that didn't ring true to me.

I know this is not true. No, this is not me arguing with crits, but it so happens that those are the two strong points of my writing in general, and none of the other crits of that story made me feel as though it had a problem in those areas.

Anyway, I'm just angry. Baffled, and angry.

How do you phrase a polite answer to that kind of comments? (or should I give up trying now, and be at least glad the rest of the story seems to work fine ?)

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear critiquer,

Thanks for taking the time to read my story! I appreciate your efforts.

Best,

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Beth. Be short and considerate, regardless of whether they offered you the same. It does little good to get into an email battle over a story. It's even worse in person. You aren't likely to change their mind, and they aren't, and shouldn't, be able to change yours as the author. It's your story.

There are three things I think are important to remember about critiques in general. First, the critiquer may simply not get the story. Not everyone does, no matter what the story is.

The second, is that the critiquer may not be at your skill level, and therefor may give you completely wrong advice. The good part is, that if you truly are above the critiquer's level, then you will instantly know they are wrong, and can ignore them.

The third thing is that some critiquer's aren't good at the task of evaluating other's stories. I personally see way too many critiques that try to tear a story apart, thinking that's what they are supposed to do--be critical. Instead, it'd be nice if everyone understaood their real job is to help the author make improvements by truly evaluating both good and bad, and offering suggestions and encouragement.

It's like the old adage, 'The Customer Is Always Right'. Well, I can tell you, they aren't and every critique isn't valuable either. That said, it's still good to thank them for their time, since they did invest some of it in their review of the story. They did give you that consideration, at least.

This critiquer shows aspects of all three problems, and my advice is to simply thank them for the time they spent, and forget about it completely. Their advice means nothing, unless you find everyone who critiques a story saying the same things.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Check their profile, get their email addy and then go out and apply for every online offer using that email?

Be sure to use the name of the website as their first name so they get emails like

Hatrack, Lowest Mortgage Rates ever!!!

That would be a bad idea, so don't do that.

Honestly just go with Beth's response. Me I just post a reply that says "Thank you."

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

I wasn't about to enter an email battle, I know better than that
It's just that I can't write a mail of blatant praise about her critting skills. I'll go with "Thank you".

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Never take a critic's word as gospel.

I'm of the "feel free to argue" school of thought, though, where you ask them what they had in mind and also defend what you had in mind. (I'm aware that lots 'round here don't share that view.)

A polite query, asking what was "unprofessional" about the writing and what was wrong with the setting, might be worth it. If it degenerates into namecalling or personal abuse, I'd forget it...besides, if the critic starts the namecalling, the criticism couldn't be that good or valid. (The grammar lecture is something you could take or leave at your discretion.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Oh, I know what was wrong about the writing. The critter told me, quite at length, where I'd gone wrong. It's just that I don't agree with a word of it

I'm not sure it's worth arguing, though.

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I go with it if the more than one person has mentioned it, but if there's only person with this view about your work, forget it and be polite.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Well so far, the other crit from that forum has been "Man, this is weirder than Alice in Wonderland", so I can't say it's been really useful either
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I read it? You've got my curiosity up.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Mary once posted something wise about replying to bad crits: treat it the way you'd treat the ugly orange sweater your grandmother gave you for Christmas. It's awful and it's useless to you but you appreciate the thought and the effort. Just say thanks and move on.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

That's a smart comment, thanks.
I'm calm now
Thanks everyone for listening to the rants of the annoyed writer
Susannaj, the story in question is my SCC entry, "The Willow House". It's in the SCC forums at Liberty Hall.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Silver3, I've DONE a crit for you and I can attest to the fact that you are one of the better writers on the board.

You should have NO concerns about not being unprofessional OR about being able to describe a satisfactory setting. Whoever told you that is simply off-base. AND out of line...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think overly harsh critiques say far more about the critiquer's insecurities than the writer's weaknesses.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

PS: I agree with Beth,

Dear....
Thanks!

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two rules that come into play here. First, if you're confused, ask for clarification. Second, if you're angry, disengage and cool off.

The second rule trumps the first rule. Besides, you aren't really baffled, you're just angry.

And don't bother thanking someone for anything unless you mean it. I know that I disagree with just about everyone on this, but it is a major offense against most coherent moral systems to simply lie your way out of a sticky situation. I don't know why people think it's ever okay. It may or may not be polite, etiquette varies. It's also polite to tell people that their stories are totally flawless. If the critique didn't say that, then don't bother with fake politeness.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

man, I'd hate to be your grandmother and give you an ugly sweater for Christmas.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to have this arguement again, but what I am suggesting is not lying. The ugly orange sweater analogy is that you thank a person for things that honestly deserve thanks. With the sweater, I would thank my grandmother for taking the time to knit it and for thinking of me. The same with a critique that makes me angry. The fact is that the person took the time--volunteered, no less--to read your story and comment on it. Even if the crit is useless, they still spent time on it and I can offer honest thanks for that.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

That's what I meant to.

PS: I think you'd look good in orange.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Beth said (of course), and . . .

Sometimes I do get crits that annoy me. Sometimes they're right. I have more "fun" (actually, it's probably not that much fun) turning over in my mind the ones I think are really really wrong.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Critiquers are like editors. If you don't like what the critiquer said, get a new critiquer. If you don't like what a lot of critiquers said, write a new story.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I agree with Mary Robinette, that saying "Thanks for taking the time," isn't lying... it is a mark of appreciation for the time spent. Whether you find the information useful or not is another matter.

So, here's another question about offensive critiques:

I belong to a writing group, and we rotate submitting stories for critique on a weekly basis. One of our group has some serious problems with punctuation, grammar, spelling, and some glaring structural issues to the plot/story. I did a pretty thorough critique on her first few chapter submissions (it's a novel).

Apparently she wrote the entire novel out, and is now submitting it 2-3 chapters at a time. She is not taking the critiques we've given her on earlier chapters and using that information to revise her ongoing submissions. She even apologized last time she submitted, saying that she hadn't bothered to clean it up.

Was I off base to tell her "I've already said everything I have to say about your work as is, and I decline the opportunity to critique more of the same"?

I know I offended her. But I feel somewhat offended myself that I'm being asked to use my precious time critiquing for the same blatant errors over and over. If she was making an effort to cleaning up her manuscripts and trying to improve each round, I wouldn't mind the time at all. But at this point I see no evidence that my comments are being of any use. In my opinion, an ongoing group critiquing a novel really needs to see if the writer is improving, and we can't tell what the writer needs continual help with if we constantly see the skill level they had when they first joined the group.

Just curious as to whether my comment and refusal would be deemed offensive to a majority?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan - The person may take it offensively, but you shouldn't feel bad about it. If they're repeatedly making the same mistakes, you've basically already given the crit for it, haven't you?

I wouldn't take it offensively, it'd be a better use of time to just fix the errors and improve my skills.

[Edited to fix a mistake and to add an answer to your question.]

[This message has been edited by x__sockeh__x (edited February 08, 2006).]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad asked me to crit a story he wrote once. I spent time, went over it carefully. I knew he wasn't used to the whole writing/critique thing so I tried to be somewhat gentle, but it was godawful. I made suggestions that might make the story more palatable to readers. I spent over an hour on his six page story. Sent it back.

Two days later he sends me the 'revision.' I think he changed one word. He asked for another critique. I was speechless. I told him I had nothing to say, nodded and smiled when he told me it was submitted. At that point, I didn't feel there was any point in trying to help.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing an author tell about receiving a bunch of letters from a woman who kept telling her about the Star Trek novel this woman had written, clearly wanting the author to ask to read the novel.

When the woman asked if the author had written any "fan fiction," the author said she'd written some nonfiction about Star Wars.

The woman wrote back and said that she was telling the author for her own good that she couldn't write nonfiction about Star Wars because Star Wars isn't true.

The author did not write back. She said she couldn't stop laughing long enough to write.

Perhaps someday you'll be able to laugh about this, Silver3.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, there was a woman like that in a writers group I once belonged to. It drove me so crazy to have her bring a new chapter of her novel each meeting without having used any of the feedback anyone ever gave her to improve her stuff that I finally quit the group.

I think you have every right to refuse to spend more time on a story when the writer can't be bothered to try to improve it.

In spite of what she claims, such a writer doesn't want critiquers, she wants readers, and you don't have to be one of them.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Silver, why are you even taking any notice of this critiquer? Anyone who uses the word unprofessional in a critique is just asking to be ignored. And shot... well at least in the kneecaps.

I think that given you have been/will be published by 4 different publications and you regularly impress the pants off everyone who reads your stuff you have little to worry about here.

It may just be that this critiquer is expecting an overly literate style or some misplaced bs like that.

As for the orange sweater, that is a bad comparison. You never ever say thank you for clothes given by older relatives. It is just wrong to encourage them. Just say, "Oh, my dog will love it." Nuff said.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Well, I thanked her for her time, and that was it.
Thanks to everyone for the support (and Mary and Beth for the orange sweater )

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You never ever say thank you for clothes given by older relatives

Just remember than when you are old and no one is thanking you for presents.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I will.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What an experience, autumnmuse!

My nephew asked me to look at something of his. I was in helpful critique mode. I should have been in "isn't that cool" mode. I'll know next time . . . but I don't know what I'll do, if it isn't cool.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You guys better not start trying to guilt me out about my grandmother

It's okay to thank someone for their time if you feel that their critique represents an honest best effort. But you still should wait till you're calm enough to make that determination.

On the other side of the equation, people who send you stuff for critique when they obviously haven't used your prior critiques are playing you. It's basically an insult, but they make sure that you have to waste a bunch of time to get the point.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the story in question, I suggest you ignore the crit and go on. If that is unprofessional, well, who needs professional? I enjoyed the story, and so did quite a few others.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with LDS. That was a great story! I mean for Pete's sake it won the blasted challenge! I voted for it.

And who the hell cares about conjunctions anyway?

BTW: What is a conjunction?

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited February 08, 2006).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
And, But, Or.

You must be too young to remember saturday morning cartoons.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "School House Rock?" I remember those. Even after they stopped showing them on T.V., my English teachers would show them in class (even in high school).

"Conjunction Junction what's your function?"

Whatever happened to good ol' Saturday morning cartoons like that anyway?

Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I forced my brother to let me critique his story he's writing. I know I shouldn't of forced him to but when I was able to read snippets of it over his shoulder I was disgusted with it, and I do realise him being my brother there is going to be the whole sibling rivalry.

I critiqued it for him, told him what to fix and grammar mistakes.

What would you call a newbie of all newbs? Because that's how my brother writes, and plus he's copying me with the whole writing a story, lol.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If someone can't write well, there are alternatives. Why not do a game mod or something?
Elan
Member # 2442

I always worry that I'm too harsh as a critiquer. If there are 4 other people critiquing the same work, I usually flag 2-3 times the number of bothersome points than other critiquers do. Mostly it's when my brain runs into anything that creates a disconnect. I critique on my first read through AS I first encounter the information. Since most readers experience a piece in that same way, I feel it's a more valid reflection of their experience. Not many people read all the way through, then go back to re-read to clarify the stuff they didn't understand the first time through.

If I have strong feelings about a certain section, I'll advocate for my point of view. My primary reason at that point is to make sure the writer recognizes: here is a pitfall in your writing. If you choose to leave it as is, there will be a cost - alienation from your reader, loss of the ability to suspend disbelief, whatever. I'll identify what I think that cost will be to them.

Whether they fix it or not is really not my issue. (Unless they keep expecting me to critique the same mistakes over and over again.) After all, if they can leave something in that I felt was a blatant problem and STILL sell the story, then more power to them.

I try to be thorough when picking through a manuscript. The writer can accept or reject the crit as they please. But I worry that my thorough style will be offensive to some.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited February 09, 2006).]

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Reply with nothing, or if you believe their critique is mechanically erroneous, ask them to clarify. Explain why you are 'confused.' If they're wrong, they're wrong.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.