Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ideal Writing Work Station (Equipment)

Author Topic: Ideal Writing Work Station (Equipment)
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here and have so many difficult and complicated questions I thought I'd start with a (ha) easy one. This is one issue which has impeded, if not prevented, my writing and badly needs to be addressed.

What is the ideal writer's chair and where might it be obtained?

I started out writing on an IBM Selectric II (okay, I'm old) and had a desk and shelves built at what I thought was a good height and size to work at. Over twenty years ago I switched to a Macintosh word processor, which was small and still fit at the desk pretty well. When I wanted to go online, I had to buy a computer and monitor, which are huge and take up most of the space between the shelves and the edge of the desk. There is barely room for the keyboard--about an inch between it and the edge of the desk--and no room for the mousepad, which hangs two inches over the edge of the desk--in other words, NO ROOM for arm support!

When I first switched from a typewriter to a computer, I developed this horrible clicking/crunching in my neck from looking at the monitor. In twenty years this hasn't gone away. My carpal tunnel syndrome became severe 14 years ago. Besides numbness in the first three fingers, I also experience pain in the wrist, especially the side of the wrist nearest the small finger, numbness in the other two fingers, pain in the arm between wrist and elbow, in the elbow, shoulder, and terrible "mouse clicker's" pains in the thumb and hand. My right hip and lower back are also at least bothersome if not outright painful.

My chair is a plain, 1950s-style thing with a wooden frame, vinyl upholstery, metal legs, not-terribly-well padded seat which is bum-numbing, no reclining, and no arm or head support. Due to the lack of arm support, I have to move the chair close to the edge of the desk, prop one leg against the edge of the desk, and rest one arm on that leg as I type. Do that till the leg goes numb or something else hurts, then switch to propping up the other leg till that hurts enough to move.

All of these conditions are enough to prove a real distraction to writing, but with this latest affliction I HAVE HAD IT. When I spend any meaningful amount of time in front of the computer, my neck hurts so severely I can't turn my head. I've tried pain pills, Sportscreme ointment, and stretching--IT'S STILL STIFF AND PAINFUL!

Something has to be done about all this! Where can I buy a chair with good neck, back, and arm support, adjustable seat height, that swivels and reclines, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE?

Thanks for any input--distressed writer here!

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Ergonomics for Writers

http://www.sfwa.org/ergonomics/

Ergonomics, A Personal Tour

http://world.std.com/~swrs/library/ergonomc.htm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that preferences for a chair that you sit in for comfort varies greatly by the person. I'm a lounger...I like my chairs to recline so I'm half leaning backwards. My wife sits up so straight I don't know how she can stand it. To each their own. So I would suggest a visit to an office supply store that should have a nice selection of chairs you can try out and see which one fits you.

As for typing, that is a matter of personal taste as well. Some people like the strang keyboards that drive me nuts, and some of us still prefer the nice normal keyboards we have been using for a long time.

Go try out a few things and see what works for you. You can also get a monitor stand, I'm not sure of the official name, but it has a drawer for the keyboard and mouse and the monitor sits above it...quite handy for reducing needed space.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you placing your monitor? Have you considered getting a low-end laptop just for writing?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Thanks for the links.

The monitor is on a stand that saves space and places it at good eye level, but there's still not enough room.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you afford to get a larger desk for your PC? That'll free up even more space for you. I have a large desk and it works wonders for me, but its your personal preference.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always attributed a lot of the aches and pains to the lifting and loading and repetitive motion I make at work, rather than just sitting here...but I do notice that I'm noticeably stiffer when I arise from here than I used to be.

My recent purchase of an ergonomic keyboard, described in a thread elsewhere, has made quite a difference, both for my hands and (apparently) for my output as well.

My desk is an old plywood table, purchased years ago at Office Depot. I've thought of getting something else, but I'd first have to remove all the accumulated piles of stuff, and that seems more trouble than it's worth.

My chair is down as far as it will go, and I still have to hunch over it---I can feel the strain in my lower back as I type this---and I've had back problems on and off for the last eight or nine years now. It also has armrests.

I did have a bout with some kind of repetitive motion syndrome 'round 1990 to 1995---derived from the keyboard (not typewriter) work I did at work. Swollen tendons, I was told. It ended when the job ended (eliminated by technological progress).

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest that you use a backless chair or one that you can't type from while leaning back. I'd also suggest that you place the monitor well below eye level, and your keyboard six inches or so from the lower edge of your monitor. That's just because that's how I like to arrange things, though, I have no idea whether it would work for you.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

It will cost me (but what's new?) but one HUGE improvement would be a flat screen monitor, which I will get if it will do everything the one I have does and doesn't break the bank. I don't know why I bought the one I have--whether it was cheaper, or someone told me a flat screen wouldn't do everything the huge one would, but I didn't take into account the appalling amount it would consume of my limited space, crowding the keyboard to the edge of the desk as it does and forcing me to take an awkward typing position. I've used it for years and must have got my money's worth out of it by now. A flat screen would also be adjustable and fix half the problem with my neck. The other half could probably be fixed with a better chair. Also, if I got the flat screen I'd have the other as a backup in case, God forbid, the flat screen crapped out in the middle of something really important as things can and do.

Another thing I will do is get a longer keyboard cable. The one supplied with the--ahem--Mac--BARELY makes it around the computer stand and in front of the monitor, and allows for NO shifting. If I could just shift the monitor and the keyboard I'd have room for the dang mouse pad and it wouldn't be hanging off the edge of the desk and taking periodic dives for the floor.

[This message has been edited by CoriSCapnSkip (edited February 10, 2006).]

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Regarding the wireless keyboard and mouse, I just asked to verify all the possibilities, and they do exist but different drivers have to be downloaded to make them compatible with the Macintosh. The drivers are free but of course the keyboard and mouse cost. The cable is only 3 or 4 bucks and I'm sure will be fine.

As far as actual medical conditions, the only test I've had showed the only actual nerve damage was to the right carpal tunnel nerve. Just figured all this pain can't be a good thing and I'd better start doing something about it.

[This message has been edited by CoriSCapnSkip (edited February 12, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.