Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » use of "in and on"

Author Topic: use of "in and on"
duv2
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for duv2   Email duv2         Edit/Delete Post 

I have been working on a story seriously for awhile now, and as I go through to edit it a couple of questions have come up for which I could use some help…..here is one of them…

Which of the following is(are) correct/incorrect? And why?

1)
“He bent and placed the lettuce into one of the dozen terrariums which sat in the center of the white ceramic floor.”

Or

2)
“…. into one of the dozen terrariums which sat on the center of the white ceramic floor.

or

3)
“….into one of the dozen terrariums which sat, in the center, on the white ceramic floor.”

4)
or (and this one does not sound right to my ear…

“…into one of the dozen terrariums which sat centrally on the white ceramic floor.

Or is there a better way to say all of that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS …I have been lurking here for awhile and have learned a lot….not ready for fragments yet, but working at it…..also I think it was in on this forum that I got clued to http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk1.html
which have been helpful and I have been working through it. But I have had a hard time keeping it all in my head! Also tried to search for a previous thread on this topic…but if you try searching “use of in on” you will know why I will apologize for asking this if it had has been discussed before.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'd be 2...on. Because the terrariums aren't technically in the floor, are they?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you remove all doubt and say in the center of the room and leave the floor out of it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Spaceman.

Unless the color and kind of floor is important right at that moment:

"... on the white ceramic floor in the center of the room."

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 is right, because an object is never on a center. Substitute the word "middle" and it becomes even more obvious.

I'd avoid things like #3 because the commas break up the flow of the sentence too much. It lurches.

#4 is trying too hard to avoid it. It also turns "center" into an adverb, which sucks out whatever life "sat" had to start with.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is with placing the lettuce "into" something.

It sounds wrong. I think it should be placing the lettuce "in" the whatever. You might shove something into a whatever but place feels like it needs the in instead.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Put it inside something.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about "at"
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the plural of "terrarium" not "terraria"?

Since twelve things can't all be at the centre of the room, I would just leave out that part of it, or maybe cover it elsewhere (are they stacked together, in a line, in some neat geometrical pattern, etc etc - if it matters, tell us, if not, leave it be).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
In Latin the proper pluralization of -um is -a
In English -um becomes -ums

Either one can be used with terrarium in English writing/speech.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't blink at 1 or 2.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duv2
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for duv2   Email duv2         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! We have a saying in my profession “get 5 beekeepers together and you get 7 opinions, six of which are right….” I don’t know maybe for writers its more like 10 and 9…..

Seriously thanks to everyone for the pointers,,,,

I guess like spaceman and corky suggest ...if its not needed leave it out.

Tchernabyelo – does this sentence really imply all twelve are in the center of the room? I assumed, since one of the twelve _terraria_ was identified the rest of the sentence would refer to that particular terrarium
(…..you know the one the lettuce was placed in. (and boy saying placed _in_ really has me wanting to say placed into, is _placed into_ really wrong?)

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#1 is right, because an object is never on a center.

Nonsense. Here's an example:
The quarterback could see the jersey on the center.

That said, I would go with #1. There is nothing wrong with that sentence.

Edit: I take it back. If all the terreriums are not in the center of the room, then the sentence is unclear.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited February 13, 2006).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
"Placed into" is fine. "Into" implies motion from outside to inside, while "in" does not.

As an example:

He jogged into the house.
He jogged in the house.

The second sentence could describe jogging that takes place entirely inside the house. The first cannot.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:

He jogged into the house.
He jogged in the house.

The second sentence could describe jogging that takes place entirely inside the house. The first cannot.

Yes, but either can imply the jogger missed the door.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited February 13, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No..."in" is sometimes allowed to mean "into", but only with verbs where the "into" is naturally implied. You can jog in your underpants, you can jog in your house, nothing about doing either indicates that you had to start jogging while out of your underpants or your house.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the narrow question: 1.

Sentance one conveys that the terrairiums are grouped in the center of the floor and therefore works. All the others seem like fussy attempts to be gramtically correct.

But I have to question broader things:

First, the lack of specificity of which terrarium gets the lettuce: Is this a deliberate hiding of a fact? Why not the third or fourth? Or is it that there is only one occupied terrarium and the rest are empty for some important reason?

Second, also about lack of specificity: What is meant by a "ceramic floor?" Ceramic is a very generic term. Is the floor made of ceramic tiles or was the floor cast as one piece in a kiln? Would white tile work better than white ceramic? Should the reader care if the floor is made of baked clay or linoleum? Is this an attempt to get the reades to visualize the floor or is it to convey important information to the plot--that the floor is hard and resistant?

Hoo boy, one sentence and we're devining deep questions! Meta point:

What does the sentence need to do? Are we informing the reader about plot or setting? Feeding critters in terrariums is plot, describing floors is setting. Can this be broken into two simpler sentences?

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely #1. The only reason to imagine that #2 might be right is that the terrariums are "on the floor." And it might well be better to simply say that. But, as the sentence is phrased, you have to use the right preposition for the right object: [placed where?] "in the center" [which center?] "of the floor." Diagram it, and you can't get it wrong.

Oh, another way #2 could be right would be if "the center," instead of merely identifying a place, meant some particular identifiable object--say a round bull's eye painted in the middle of the room that everyone called "the center." You could place the terrariums "on" that.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.