Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Changing POV after the first paragraph

Author Topic: Changing POV after the first paragraph
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that it's posted here somewhere, but can I do it? I will post my first thirteen of a new 'idea' in Fragments and Feedback. But I need to know if it's ok.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people say it is; some people say its not.

I think this falls under the category of: if you can make it work then it works.

In the rules of writing the absolutes only mean that few people have managed to break those rules yet. But they can pretty much all be broken if you do it well.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
According to OSC, the first paragraph is free. That doesn't mean it can be garbage, just that you can get away with breaking rules there. Just be sure you understand what you are doing and why, because even though it's free, it still has to work as a hook.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but usually you'll signal it by using a POV that couldn't easily be sustained long anyway. One good example is the dialog vignette opening, another is the character-about-to-die short prologue, there are other examples, but many of them tend to be less easy to work, a popular one is the omniscient opening (which tends to get used even when it doesn't work at all).

The problem is that you always have to justify both your use of the POV and your reason for abandoning it during a POV segment. That doesn't change just because you decided to make it only one paragraph long. If you have a definite reason for changing, that will come out on its own. The same is true of having a definite reason to use that POV in the first place.

In other words, if you really need to do it that way, it'll work.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Survivor, I will often start in an omniscient POV and move quickly and easily into first or third. Changing from one character to another is a little trickier, and I agree with your statements those cases, as well as changing from first to third or third to first.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It works as long as you have a clear reason for starting in omniscient and a clear reason for abandoning it (usually a character who would look more interesting from the inside is sufficient). The problem is that writing omniscient openings for no particular reason can (and does) rapidly become a bad habit, and it is a habit that many editors will have seen in many unpublishable writers. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing something that many novice writers do...most of the things novice writers do are obvious (and therefore valid) ways to tell a story. You just need to know why you're doing it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I agree completely. changing POV after the first paragraph is something that isn't going to happen all that often anyway, so doing so should have a good reason. It should have probably more thought put into that choice than even the overall selection of tense and POV for the rest of the story. In fact, any time you decide to stray from the well-trodden path (first/limited third past), the author should have a reason for it, even if that reason is nothing more than wanting to try something different.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.