Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » writing thoughts

Author Topic: writing thoughts
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having some difficulty with writing the thoughts of the characters. I know that sometimes they are done like dialogue, sometimes with italics, and sometimes just written into the text.

When is the appropriate time for each of these three types? When i say "he thought" do I have to put the thoughts in quotes?

This is assuming that I'm in third person. However, if you are in third person limited, where you are focusing on one character (not sure if I used that term right), do you have to say they are thoughts?

[This message has been edited by ethersong (edited February 15, 2006).]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many ways to do that.

I use italics for thoughts in my stories, usually followed by he thought or something like that. Wondered is also one that I've used before.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ethersong,
Like Monolith says there are many ways...I've used italics as well, but I've seen examples where this can spoil the page!
Wondered/thought/consider/deliberate just a few options on Word when you ask for alternatives, I love my Thesaurus - it helps too
Hope this helps.
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I often use dialogue, but to those who read my work it they all see my MC as an insane egolamaniac (sp?) who rambles. I sometimes use italics, but as John MC said it can ruin the page.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use dialogue, mainly because I've seldom seen it done well.

Italics are fine, but as Johnmac1953 points out, they tend to drag the story down. I find it simpler to put a "he/she thought" if the penetration warrants it, and to leave the thoughts in standard format. I change paragraphs when I get out of the MC's thoughts, in order to reduce possible confusion.

If you're in deep 3rd-person, though, you don't even need the "he/she thought". Check out OSC's "Characters and POV", which sums up the problem pretty well.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Light penetration:

I'll never see the point in this sort of thing, James thought. The evil robot monkeys are on their way. Why does Maria insist on talking about rotisseries?

(Just like dialog, but no quotes.)

Deep penetration:

James never had seen the point in this sort of thing. The evil robot monkeys were on their way. Why did Maria insist on talking about rotisseries?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
What always trips me up is whether or not I can use the "I" without the "he thought" tag. Probably not for the first occurrence, but it sure is a nuisance avoiding first person throughout a short story or novel length piece. So, after the 3rd limited has been established, could I simply go with:

James slammed the door. I'll never see the point in this sort of thing. The evil robot monkeys are on their way. Why does Maria insist on talking about rotisseries?

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're writing in POV, then everything is something the POV character percieves, thinks, or does.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
So if you choose one style, should you stay consistent or can you change?

And also, if you use italics for emphasis, can you also use it for thoughts?

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay consistent, definitely. You don't wanna confuse people.

Same with italics: use them for one thing only. Avoid having your reader wonder whether you meant to emphasize the whole sentence, or whether it's the MC's thoughts.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay consistent.

Every expository sentence is a thought of the PoV character. he thought, she thought can be thrown in here or there, but are generally unnecessary.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.