Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Silence or Ambiance?

Author Topic: Silence or Ambiance?
WolfofWar
Member # 3156

- posted      Profile for WolfofWar   Email WolfofWar         Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, when you write, what do you prefer to listen to: nothing, just total silence, or some type of music or sounds?
If you listen to something, what sounds or music do you feel inspires you to write more?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care, as long as I don't hear my name or the word "daddy."
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Music. I find it hard to write without it. As to what...anything goes. My current favorite is Vienna Teng's "Waking Hour", but that changes as I acquire new CDs.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Silence at home.

Coffee shop ambience when I'm out and then I prefer music without vocals.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, something I can have an opinion on.

Silence is golden.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Music, generally; it helps drown out the background noises. I usually prefer music without words (which distract me easily), and I like to match the music to the mood of what I'm writing, at least to a degree.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not feeling motivated, I have to have music, but sometimes I find it distracting so I have to have silence.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annabel Lee
Member # 2635

- posted      Profile for Annabel Lee   Email Annabel Lee         Edit/Delete Post 
Music. It doesn't matter what - I can mentally tune out the words if I want to. I have to have noise when I work.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like background noise, like restaurant chatter. Helps me concentrate in a way. But I don't usually listen to music. I tune it out when I'm in the groove, so why bother in the first place. And if I'm not in the groove, it distracts me.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to listen to music to write, without it I'm a fish out of water, lol. Whenever I'm out I take my mp3 player with me. I mainly listen to System of a Down, Linkin Park or The Offspring. I'm only 19 so thats why I listen to them.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to music. Usually music w/o words. I have a Mahjongg game on my computer with some cool oriental-flavored music...i put up the game, set the music on random, bring up Microsoft Word, and make myself write rather than match tiles.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to listen to music just to block out the noise of the room I'm in.

I usually put on something like Iron Maiden, but I don't really listen to the music. The CD will end, and I sometimes won't notic.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I've got the TV on in the other room, and I listen to the sound...news, usually, but occasionally other things. Of course I do occasionally listen to other things as well, most often music. Currently I favor a group called the Comedian Harmonists. (I've downloaded about thirteen hundred songs onto my computer since I got it---off my CD collection---and I've got lots more to get to someday.)

Of course, too, when I get really into writing something, I don't hear anything...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Either complete silence, or the music on my mp3, which mostly consists of Japanese music (favourite bands: SeeSaw, Do As Infinity), Country (favourite band: Big & Rich), Black Eyed Peas, or the slow & appropriate System of a Down songs.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I find music distracting, but since total silence doesn't really work for me either, I usually just turn on a fan for some white noise.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
Whichever I start with, no matter ambience or silence, it will become the scapegoat for writer's block eventually anyway.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It varies, and depends what I'm writing. if I'm really in deep mad creative splurge mode, then I have no idea whether or not anything else is actually happening ("What's that? The house is on fire? Well, just let me finish this chapter..."). If I'm trying to get myself kick-started, then I sometimes try and appropriately ethnic(ish) music, something that's got hints of the same cultural atmosphere that my story is set in (memo to self; get more Chinese-style music).

For flash challenges at LH, nothing; don't need the distraction, when there's only 90 minutes to write in.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.