Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Formatting problems

Author Topic: Formatting problems
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supposed to send a new version of my story to an editor, and he wants a couple of changes that I'm not sure how to implement... (I'm under MS word here)

He says "Garamond 10pt". Is 10 pt the same thing as size 10, because it seems awfully small to me?

How do you put the smart quotes back in? Specifically, I have straight quotes throughout. Is there a simple way to replace them all with curly quotes?

Similarly, how do you replace the "--" with real em-dashes? (I turned all those options off a long time ago...)

Thanks a lot,

Silver3, fighting her word processor

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
10 pt is the font size, yes.

What word processor are you using?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Word. But it does look awfully small to me. Is the pt system the same in the US as in France, or is it like inches vs centimeters?

For instance, what's the standard Courier size for a ms. ? (for me, it's size 12...)

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's a little crazy. Not the Garamond, 10pt, which is pretty standard for print. It's just that the things he's asking for are what a typesetter is for.

Do you feel good about this market?

Anyway, to answer your question, 10pt is the same as size 10. There is no easy way to replace the curly quotes. The closest you'll find to easy is to turn the smart quote option back on and then find each instance of " and retype it. Find replace doesn't work because of the how the macros function.

The em dash is easier because that's a straight character. Depending on your word processor, you should be able to insert a special character to get your initial instance of an em dash. Then you just find/replace the "--".

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Hum, I don't feel that good about the market now that you mention those things, but they did pay me, so...

Ok, thanks for the advice. I discovered that I had forgotten to turn off the smart quotes back when I typed the story, so that's one fewer thing to do

Beth
Member # 2192

You can also download RoughDraft; it has a built-in function to replace curly quotes with straight quotes, and vice versa. Then you can save that as a .doc file (or copy it back into Word).

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for pity's sake. I didn't know that.

I will now go grumble quietly about replacing them by hand when typesetting Shimmer...

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Oh my. I had no idea you'd been doing that! That'll teach you to grumble quietly.
Silver3
Member # 2174

lol
I downloaded RoughDraft a couple of weeks ago, but had no idea it could do that

Thanks

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
EDITED: Sorry, complete misread this. Never mind.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Now that I've read this properly, allow me to try again.

There is a mostly simple way to restore smart quotes in MS Word.

1. On the menu bar, select Tools > AutoCorrect

2. Choose the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab and check the "straight quotes with smart quotes" box (i.e., make sure it's ticked). Click OK.

3. On the menu bar, select Edit > Replace.

4. In 'Find What' type a double quote mark: "
In "Replace With' type a double quote mark: "

5. Click "Replace All"

I've tested this and it works fine. It doesn't take long to do. Mostly simple. To do the opposite, or to replace smart quotes with straight quotes, simply reverse the procedure in step 2 (or make sure it's unchecked). The above also works for replacing smart single quotes ' ; simply modify step 4 with the singe quotes instead.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Ok.
Thanks a lot !

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm ignorant. What are smart quotes? And, why is there a problem with the traditional type quote that curls to show opening quote and closing quote?

For actual writing and printing out of manuscripts I use WordPertect 5.1.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited February 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Smart quotes ARE the ones that curl ("smart" because the word processor figures out, usually correctly, which way to make them go). In general, standard manuscript format says to use straight quotes. I'm not sure why they have this particular rule, but it may be that, in Courier (the standard manuscript font of choice), the open and closed quotes look almost identical anyway. They're both straight, but tilted a bit, as if they were italicized.

One thing to watch out for with smart quotes is that, if you have a word like " 'tis ", the apostrophe will invariably get placed the wrong way.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited February 20, 2006).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Often, "smart" quotes get garbled when you transfer them from one application to another. They do not seem so smart when they all turn into question marks or other odd characters.

arriki
Member # 3079

Here's something else. I'm preparing to format my mss for mailing out to F&SF. I read here that standard is courier 12 but I remember in the past that it was courier 10. In fact, my word processor (WordPerfect 5.1) doesn't even have a courier 12 option.

Is the size fixed at 12 now or at 10 or what?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for the days of typewriters, where with most models you were confined to just one type of type and one size...I wouldn't worry about precisely what typeface or typesize a physical MS is in, so long as it's large enough to read and not all in italics or boldface or any such. Ten point or twelve point were pretty much all typewriters came in...either will do. Italics should be marked by underlining...anything more elaborate should be indicated by proofreader's marks.

My last submissions, printed out, were in Times New Roman. If anybody rejected something of mine *because* a printed MS was in Times New Roman, I'd probably stop submitting there.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I'm sorry, but it does need to be 12 point font. Even if it won't get your manuscript rejected, it will be harder for the slush reader to read at 10 pt. Anything that makes it difficult for them to read means one more hurdle for your story to get over.

It would be better to switch to Times New Roman than to use 10pt. That said, I find it difficult to comprehend a word processing program that does not allow you to switch font sizes.

TNR and Courier are the two standard fonts. Of the two, the reason Courier is still more widely used is because, as a mono-spaced font, it is very easy for the editor to use existing formulas to figure out how many pages a story will take up in a magazine by looking at the manuscript. (I can go into a lot of dull detail about this.)

Beth
Member # 2192

Robert, if guidelines specify Courier (as many do), why would you send in TNR? Very curious. (Other guidelines specify TNR, I've seen that as well.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my most recent rejectons mentioned fonts or sizes.

It's one thing for a magazine to require an e-submission to be in such-and-such a format. Compliance can be accomplished simply and easily by clicking here and there. No hassle, no harm, no problem. I'm not talking about e-submission here.

It strikes me as quite another thing for a printed MS to be submitted in a particular typeface. Is the market in question so great that you must print out something special for them, and only for them? If they tell you they like it but would like to see it in an e-file, couldn't a typeface change be accomplished then? What's so wrong with Times New Roman, as far as reading a printout goes? Can the editors read a printed MS only if it's in Courier? Suppose someone is still working with a typewriter; what would they do?

If a market had a requirement that a printed MS be in a certain typeface and typesize, it strikes me as unwarranted arrogance. Y'know, even the top-of-the-line SF / fantasy markets don't pay so much as to justify too much in the way of arrogance.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked on the other side of the fence, but I did live with a copy-editor for a couple of years. I would guess that the requirements in terms of typeface and layout are for the convenience of publishers. Double-spacing and a fixed font like Courier allow editors to do all the things they need to do for typesetting, physically scribbling things on a physical, paper, manuscript. Simple as that.

And I don't know what rejections you may or may not have received, but my understanding is that editors are in general pressed for time, and will use form rejections. "Thanks for your submission but it isn't right for us" can cover a multitude of sins, including "if this guy can't be bothered to format his submission in the way we want, there's no way I'm going to bother reading his story".

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If an editor is, say, waving a check at me and saying, "I'd like to have this MS reformatted in Courier and reprinted for the proofreaders and typesetter,"---well, then it's a reasonable request.

If an editor says, "I can't be bothered reading this MS because it's not in Courier," then it's not a reasonable request. It's an arrogant assumption of power on the part of the editor.

I've learned to be wary of this kind of arrogance. Once, a long while ago now, I submitted a story to "Amazing." I got back a slip with a couple of comments. I liked the comments, and made revisions in the story accordingly. I sent it in with a letter telling them I had revised it. I didn't ask for any special treatment on that account.

I got it back within a week, with a scribbled note on a usual form: "No Revisions." I didn't like that---I could have revised and sent it somewhere else if I had known that up front. I don't think I submitted anything to them again---or at least not right away.

I've been writing and submitting for over thirty years now, and it's something that (a) brings me joy in the doing but a great deal of aggrivation in the selling, and (b) has so far brought me no money. I believe I've behaved in a professional manner by sending them a MS in an utterly readable typeface like Times New Roman, with a self-addressed-and-stamped-envelope, with my address printed in the upper left corner of the first page, my word count printed on the upper right corner of the first page, and my name and story title printed on each page with the page number. I expect a market to conduct themselves in a professional manner and read the damned thing and either accept or reject it (comments or printed form).

I object to the idea of being rejected because my printout is in a type they don't like. Especially since problems of this nature can be dealt with after a sale is closed.

I am willing to forego sales---forever---rather than accept this kind of treatment.

Beth
Member # 2192

I just can't understand why you'd rather forgo sales than spend the 15 seconds it takes to change a font in order to have your submission meet the publisher's guidelines. I guess we each pick what's important to us.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall wrote:
quote:
If an editor says, "I can't be bothered reading this MS because it's not in Courier," then it's not a reasonable request. It's an arrogant assumption of power on the part of the editor.

But from the editor's perspective - assuming they have submission guidelines that say things like "Courier 12 point double-spaced 1" margins" - it's an arrogant assumption of ppower on the part of the author to say "I can't be bothered submitting this in Courier, I'll submit it in Times New Roman". Perspective, perspective, perspective.

And as I tried to point out, there may actually be good and practical reasons for the submission guidelines, rather than "mere" arrogance.

But if you wish to carry on submitting in your preferred fashion for another 30 years, then that is utterly your prerogative. After all, I'm not an expert; I've submitted precisely one story in my life to date. I did so because I wanted the market to publish it, so it seemed appropriate to me to do everything within my power to meet the criteria that market requested.

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"Assuming they have submission guidelines that say things like 'Courier 12 point double-spaced 1" margins'"---why should they?

In the olden days of typewriters, you only had so many typefaces available---usually, if you didn't have, say, an IBM tyepwriter with the changable little ball you only had one. If a market said, then: "We will only look at manuscripts typed in 10-point pica," that would be unreasonable.

I see no reason to change my perception of what's reasonable and unreasonable because we live in the Computer Age. Times New Roman is thoroughly readable...an MS printed in Times New Roman should be acceptable to read through and accept or reject...if someone wants another type after, why not? But beforehand...no, it's not.

And for what? For the honor of appearing in print? For a minimal amount of money, or for some markets no money at all?

Let's just say it's no longer worth it to me...

Beth
Member # 2192

finally! someone who's a bigger crackpot than me!

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it odd that someone is willing to turn the issue of font size and type into a power struggle. Get real!!

I've DONE typesetting for a living when I used to manage a print shop. Speed and visual clarity is everything when you are setting type. Times Roman, while readable, is NOT the best choice. Heck, Bookman is a lot better than TR. Times Roman is considered a "kerned" typeface. Courier is monospaced, which gives it advantages for a number of reasons: readability, and line calculation are only a few.
My suggestion is that if you've never made your living at setting type, don't try to second guess the reasons behind the completely REASONABLE requirements that publishers set for submissions. In my opinion, a publisher is well within their rights to toss out a submission if an author can't follow the rules.

You can see it as an affront to your dignity if you like. Or, you can opt to see it for what it really is: a simple request to make THEIR job easier. Complying with manuscript requirements is about professionalism and common courtesy. It's NOT a power struggle.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some sympathy for the perspective that sees scrict manuscript submission guidelines as an insult. Basically, the editors are saying "we get hundreds or thousands of unsolicited subscriptions from unknown writers, and we throw them all into this big stack of paper called a 'slushpile', and only bother reading the ones that do enough things right to justify our effort." They're kinda rubbing it in, too, because complying with all of the manuscript submission guidelines can take not only time, but money as well.

Yes, they're indirectly charging you for the courtesy of looking at your manuscript. However, those charges are truly indirect, they're only asking for you to do whatever it takes to make their job a little easier, they aren't asking you for money up front. They're also asking you to take the effort on behalf of your story, if it's worth their time and effort, it's worth yours. If you can't even take the time and show the confidence to do things they tell you must be done, how can they believe it likely you've really put much into the writing?

Basically, you can take their treatment of you as an insult, or accept that it reflects the truth, you're unknown to them and they have a lot of other authors begging for their attention.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Elan. Having worked editing and designing magazines and books for fifteen years, I find it frustrating to not get manuscripts/files in the format you ask for. It messes with your systems. Similarly if you wanted to include an image and the publisher asked for a 300dpi CMYK tiff sent on disk would you send a .gif via email? No, because the result will probably not be what you -- or they -- had hoped.

Like Elan and Survivor said, it makes their job easier. They know what they need for best results.

Having said that, those requests made to you Silver,are kinda weird. I can't see a reason for them unless they are using MS word as layout software. Hmmm.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

So, what is standard these days? Courier 10 or 12?
hoptoad
Member # 2145

You will find that somewhere here on this sight HSO has supplied a standard manuscript template you can download, I will try to find where it is and post it.

Edit: Can't seem t find it... anyone?

Ahh here it is:here Scroll down a bit.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Courier 12 is standard, but you should always read the guidelines. Ellen Datlow, for instance, prefers TNR.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I prefer to look at it as "I must go the extra distance for an editor for the privilege of being rejected."

Also---as I thought I made clear when I began ranting on this subject---I'm not talking about a computer file. I'm talking about a printout, a manuscript, a bunch of paper with writing on it. Changing a computer file is no trouble at all. Changing a manuscript, well---it's time, effort, extra paper, wear and tear on the printer, a chunk of ink out of a printer cartridge. Without a really good reason [and a check in hand would be a really good reason], I can't see the need.

Mostly thanks to me, we seem to have wandered off topic---helping Silver3 with formatting problems.

I hope to shortly put another thread up to discuss, say, "professional / unprofessional" behavior among writers, editors, and publishers. Not limited to discussions of typefonts---I've got a few other stories, my experiences and those I've read about. But it'd probably come out as a short essay, so I may wait a bit, when I have a little more time.

Survivor
Member # 213

I appreciated your feelings. Looking at the situation from the point of view of a writer who fully expects a rejection, it is easy to see how unattractive these demands appear.

Of course, these demands are supposed to discourage you from submitting unless you seriously believe that your material is publishable. Remember, while it might take less work for an editor to reject a submission, editors get nothing from work they reject (okay, to be brutally honest, sometimes they get a chuckle and a juicy anecdote to share, but that's all).

If you're confident that a market isn't going to accept what you've written, then don't submit to that market. If you're unwilling to follow their submission guidelines, save yourself the postage. Only submit something when you can believe that it is going to be of value. Sure, that's giving in to what the editors want...but it should also be what you want.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Robert;
That's hilarious. Its just about the most petulant gripe I've ever heard here. I can almost see you clinking up the steps in some bell-tower somewhere...

An editor wants to work with someone they can get along with. By all means, send up as many red-flags as you like to them AND continue to be perplexed by the rejections you get in return.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 23, 2006).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki--Courier 10 is the NAME of the font, not it's size. You set the size independently. So go ahead and use Courier 10, size 12 pt.

Most people these days seem to use Courier New. But it looks awfully pale to me--the lines are so thin. I always use Courier 10 BT, which looks darker, more like a real typewriter.

And Robert, I always produce a new printout for every submission, and changing the font before I print it is just as easy as if I were submitting an e-file. Do you make a stack of printouts and then go looking for markets?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It's cheaper to print out a new copy than to pay the return postage. Manuscript disposable, I always say.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm amused that *anyone* thinks this is a gripe. I've just found I have limits to what I will and won't do---without some promise of payment.

I wonder if the top pros of the market are pestered with such conditions.

I've mentioned elsewhere on these boards that I took a foray into Internet Fan Fiction for a few years. I wrote about a hundred thousand words of that---and, whatever you may think of the ethics of doing it, I got more feedback and more personal satisfaction from it than I did from the million-plus words I did before that.

I wonder whether being published, printed in the traditional manner in a book or magazine, is even worth pursuing anymore. Constant fiddling with formats is just *one* of *many* pecularities of the marketplace. I may just write for my own satisfaction, and put it up on some site somewhere, and hope for the best.

(I mentioned posting a short essay above---I probably won't get to it till Tuesday or Wednesday. My day is top-heavy with something that makes me money, and unwinding from that takes up most of the rest of my time. (This is part of "unwinding."))

Beth
Member # 2192

"I wonder if the top pros of the market are pestered with such cnditions."

In my experience, the more credentials a writer has, the more likely it is that their manuscript is formatted correctly; the ones who mention publication in several top markets invariably (INVARIABLY) have perfect industry-standard formatting.

It's like a man wearing a tie to a job interview. It's not necessarily a sensible request, and I am sure the man looks perfectly nice without it, but it's in his best intererest to conform to the dress code at the place where he wants to work, or find a place which won't make him wear a tie.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited February 25, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Yeah I read some of the Daria stuff, thought it was quite funny.
I wasn't trying to cheese you off.

I just thought it was amusing too.

Survivor
Member # 213

I'm almost never trying to not cheese anyone off, but I'm not trying to cheese you off in this instance. I think that you have a valid viewpoint, but it needs to be clearly distinguished from the viewpoints of those who are really trying to get published by a conventional.

Little admission here, I'm not aggressively pursuing publication myself. So I'm not casting stones. I'm just pointing out that many people here (including the topic starter) are working under that paradigm.

I belong to the "purist" sect of literature, which doesn't subscribe to anything except the actual text. I don't care about grammer, only syntax. I don't care about interpretation, only the reader's experience. And I don't mind putting off publication till after the end of the world.

But I don't evangelize for such a position. After all, I also don't care how many purists there are out there, that's part of being a true purist Also, as long as the members of this board are constantly helping me by teaching me more and more about writing, I figure it's unjust for me to hinder their efforts to learn how to get published and paid for their efforts. And while I may only care about the text, striving to meet an external standard does much to help writers improve their craft. So I regard the publication process as potentially helpful, even though I'm putting it off myself.

For most writers, the discipline of submitting their work to markets is well worth the hassle. It may not be the case for everyone (it isn't for me, not just yet), but it is the case for most. Everyone needs a goal, a standard by which to judge whether or not something is "helpful". Publication in a respected market is a good goal, one that helps serious writers improve their craft.

Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of courier, and other "old" style mono-spaced fonts that publishers want. There is the very easy misunderstanding about font-size (measured in points) and font-pitch (measured in characters per inch). A 10 pitch courier (the standard) translates to a 12 point courier. A 12 pitch courier translates to a 10 point courier, easily confused.

Pitch is rarely used as a measurement anymore because it ONLY applies to monospace fonts, as it is a horizontal measurement of how many characters you get in an inch.

Point size is the standard measurement for fonts these days because most fonts, like Times, are proportionally spaced and cannot be measured using cpi (pitch) because the spacing is different for each character.

One other note, while I'm lecturing, is that point size only measures the height of the tallest character in the font set. So you can't equate two fonts based solely on their font size, because it tells you nothing about width, weight, or spacing.

Hope that helps.
Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I lost a longer reply somewhere in cyberspace, but I'm trying to cut down on this lengthy off-topic diversion that I provoked. Suffice it to say that I'm always happy that someone reads what I've written, and that I haven't had time to order my thoughts for that "short essay" I've talked about posting but hope to do shortly.

And that I thought there was some kind of override on the "proportional space" thing, at least in the word processing programs I've worked with (mostly Microsoft Works). But what I don't know about computers could fill a printed manual, and I could be as wrong about this as most of you seem to think I am about the other issues I've cluttered this thread with.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.