Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Trouble writing Short Stories

Author Topic: Trouble writing Short Stories
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that in SF&F short stories are big deal, especially for beginning writers. Yet, as I come up with ideas, none of them ever seem to be small enough to be contained within a short story. How do you limit your large ideas into a story that is only a couple pages long?

Perhaps I haven't read enough short stories. But it eludes me how you cut them down. To make reference to some of the people on this forum, MaryRobinette's Portrait of Ari seemed like it was a part of a larger story. Was that how it was intended and then you just cut a piece out? But then Silver3's recent fantasy story seemed like an entire story by itself. How did you come up with such a concise plot that moved so quickly?

Perhaps it may help also if you guys could recomend some other good short stories to me.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, a short story can be more than a few pages. One of mine was 15 pages.
Still, if your ideas need more space to grow, give it to them, restrain them not.

Edit: Oh, you're wondering about good short stories. I liked The Tell-Tale Heart, by Edgar Allen Poe.

[This message has been edited by x__sockeh__x (edited February 19, 2006).]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Oh, right, that was a good one...and rather engaging. But how would you make a sci-fi idea into something like that?
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest you read short stories that have been published recently.
OCS's Intergalatic Medicine Show is a good inexpencive way to read short stories. Fictionwise has free downloads of this year's Nebula Award prelim-nominated stores--by reading these stories you know you are studying stories that todays editors concider excellent).

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited February 19, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
And it helps to practice. Try some short story excercises or challenges. Notebored has some challenges, as does my site, Liberty Hall. Also, Scrawl, but... it's Scrawl.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
all good suggestions, and i am strongly in favor of people learning to write short stories. They're fun and you can learn a lot and it's good to have a small canvas to work on before you try to juggle the complexities of a big project.

But there's no law that says you have to. If the attempt is filling you with despair and loathing, just let it go.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen writers use short stories as "draft versions" of novels. For instance, I read a short story called "The Immortal" by Gordon Dickson that he later developed into a novel, "The Forever Man."

(As an odd twist, the anthology that contained "The Immortal" also had an early short-story version of "Ender's Game".)

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

I don't want this thread to go away yet because I still don't feel like my question has been answered.

How do you formulate ideas and limit them to such a small scale? How do you go about formulating a plot and developing characters in such limited dimensions? I really needs some tips on those two aspects.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to help you but I usually have trouble finding ENOUGH plot to make a novel-length story. I think I've finally finally got enough material to actually write Outleaf, but that's after years of thinking and planning and angsting about it.

I think Mike is right, though, that giving yourself a challenge, particularly timed, will help a lot. After all, how many novel ideas can you flesh out completely, and write down, when you only have 90 minutes? That's what I would do, if I were you.

When I write a short, I come up with a situation, and a couple characters. I don't develop them really extensively, especially at first. I get an idea for a plot with a beginning, middle and end, but no subplots, usually a very short timeframe, and everything in the story is related to that main plot and character(s). I often write the first draft in a single sitting.

Is that what you want to know?

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same problem you are complaining of. A book that I read but rarely recommend to SF writers (because its author repeated snubs us in insulting ways) is John Gardner's "The Art of Fiction", Vintage Press. In the chapter on plot he tells young writers to make note of their story ideas. Not all ideas can be short stories or vice verse. Look at your ideas that have no way to be made short, and discard them as short story ideas. For a short story, start with a single event in a character's life that is significant. A single scene so to speak. Then add a scene before it to set it up, (not the entire life history) and a short scene after to resolve it. There; one short story plot. I'm not trying to be trite, this really worked for me. Hope it helps you.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand remember that Samuel R. Delany published three novels before he sold his first short story.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Thayerds has summed it up very nicely Ethersong, now, as you write poems how about using them as ideas too?
I keep a notebook with me all the time, so if an idea pops up I can get it down before I forget it(happened a lot!).
Inspiration will come...
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Try to write just one scene. Don't worry at first about how good it is, just get it down on paper. Also, start reading a lot of short stories as well, and for each, try to write a paragraph on what you felt were the elements of the story; not a rehash or summary, but identify the elements. For example: the main character, supporting characters, initiating conflict, complications, resolution (if any). After enough reading and analysis, you'll start to recognize the elements as you write them. At that point you're starting to write as a craftsman, and you'll start to focus in on just those elements that are necessary to the story within the constraints of the short story format. This is what constant crituiquing does for us, and why I need to critique more than I currently am doing.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot. I think I will try to do as you have suggested. I'll probrably subscribe to an online magazine or two that has short stories and analyze them for those things. Then I'll try the 1 event thing and see how it works.

The reason I really want to do short stories is because I keep working on the huge projects that feel like they really aren't going very fast--so at this rate it will a year or two before I can really have complete stories and that doesn't suit well for me.

What you said John is brilliant. I never thought my poems would ever have anything to do with Science Fiction or Fantasy--or really any plot--but thinking about them, I see that I naturally have dramatization that could be adapted to a story. That'd be a really good point to start, since the ideas captured in my poems are short and concise. So, I'll try that too.

You guys are great! Thanks.

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent one summer trying to write short stories four pages single spaced. Out of some eight or ten stories, I got one within that limit, and it needs a couple more pages to make it right.
One thing this exercize did, besides getting my writing a little crisper, was to get me to finish stories, which I had difficulty with.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed that thread, sorry...

Basically, it's not something I'm good at either. My short stories tend to be hastily relabelled "novelettes" on the spur of the moment.

FYI, the story up at Deep Magic is pretty long, and it started just with the idea of what a metamorphosis curse, and of a hermit coming back to claim his former bride. It inflated beyond what I had foreseen, mainly because the backstory is heavy (too heavy, in fact; now, with hindsight, I'd never launch myself into something that complicated with the hope of keeping it below 7500 words).

My current idea of the whole process is: keep things at a bare minimum. Have a maximum of three, four characters that you know in depth. Reduce the others to cardboard and a minimal role in the story (should you ever need them). Keep the action to one problem, one conflict. No sidetracks. No secondary plots (the "one scene" method doesn't work for me, but that's personal).

Mike's idea of timed challenges is pretty good. It works for me (due to the way my mind works, I'm more a proponent of a slightly longer time, but the idea is definitely sound), and of course reading short fiction always helps.

I hope I've said something helpful.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it's useful to look at the chapters of a novel length MS and see if one or two can be adapted into a short story. It's not uncommon to see stories show up in novels some months after they're published in the New Yorker. Murakami and Coetze have both done that in the last year.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any difficulty writing short stories. I do find it hard to be satisfied with writing them. In other words, if I like a short story, I want to go on to the novel and then the series.

But ultimately, no finished work is ever 'complete' in the sense of exploring everything you find interesting about a character, world, idea, or whatnot. Only an open canon has that capability. The more you write about a world, the more you want to write. The same holds true for the audience, which is why there is so much fantasy based on Middle Earth and so much SF based on Star Trek.

Learn to save it for the next story/book/series (yes, I'm suggesting you could write multiple series of books based on a single subject ).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor: What exactly is that smiley face doing?

On the topic at hand, I have a very different frame of mind when I write long fiction than I do with short fiction. My long fictionallows me to relax and fully characterize, exploring many facets of the characters with subplots and parallel story lines. In a short story, I generally have one event or cool science thing that I want to explore. Depending on which of those ends I start, I develop the other side. When the idea has been explored, or the characters have changed in the way I want them changed, I'm done. As a result, I have never written any fiction between 6500 words and 75,000 words.

Number of pages is irrelevant. I add 10% of the page count by changing from TNR to Courier. But, as a benchmark, arecent story weighs in at about 5900 words and it is 28 pages long.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's winking. Okay, perhaps that's a little obscure, but someone once said he'd said everything he wanted to say about a certain subject with a well known book, then he went back and wrote a good deal more on the subject in a series that sprang from the world of that book, which had already been turned into a series.

Hence, a wink. Also, the ; ) thing is becoming part of my natural punctuation. Scary, eh?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.