Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How do you go from raw to polished?

Author Topic: How do you go from raw to polished?
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a critique back saying that my writing was raw. I am now wondering if this is a way to describe all of my writing or just this particular piece. Also this piece I am writing by thinking it through rather than dreaming it and then putting it on paper. I know that it wasn't meant to be hurtful, but the comment sticks in my mind and I am wondering now if I should continue writing. I wonder if I can actually make it polished or I just can't write. I am really working hard on this one, following the flow of it and then editing it as I go, making sure that it reads like I intended it. Maybe I'm wasting my time.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I am pretty sure that giving up on it is not going to result in a polished piece. I'd say that's step 1. It requires persistance, and it takes time to learn skills.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing successfully takes work. Practically no one just starts out writing with a full set of skills, instantly capable of producing solid, publishable material. So if your writing is raw, that likely just suggests that you need to work on some aspect of either that particular story or your writing in general. Did the critter identify some element in the piece that needed a lot of work? If not, I'd suggest checking for the basics. When I think of "raw" or unpolished writing, I tend to think immediately of grammatical/typographical errors, formatting problems, or awkward wordings. Of course, there are a lot of other more subtle things that can give a piece an unpolished feel. Instead of getting discouraged, why not try to identify why that piece came across as unpolished to that critter? If his complaint wasn't shared by anyone else who read the piece, and if you don't agree with the complaint, then it's just something to file away. If it is something that others also highlighted (perhaps using different terms) or that you can see needs work, then get to work on it.

For honing particular skills in writing, I always recommend the LH flash challenges; they aren't well suited to producing polished works -- you rarely have time to go back through and smooth everything out -- but they are great for focusing on any one issue (say, dialogue problems, or character motivation, or adverb abuse -- all of which can make a piece come across as sloppy).

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice, practice, practice. =) Just whatever you do, don't stop writing.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Try to recognize that we are ALL on a learning curve. Every writer in the world, regardless of how successful they are, has room for improvement. I look back on what I wrote 20 years ago. Then I thought it was pretty good. Now I see how far I've come. I expect fully that in another 20 years, I'll look back on what I am doing now with the same viewpoint.

So maybe you have room to improve? You knew that already; it's why you are here. Don't take critiques to heart. They aren't personal and not intended to tell you that you shouldn't write.

You HAVE to develop a healthy attitude about it --- "Hmm, this person is trying to point something out to me that, if corrected, could improve my writing. What is he/she trying to show me?"

Instead, ask yourself: what does this critiquer MEAN by "raw"? Without seeing your writing I cannot interpret that vague comment. (Frankly, unless there were specific examples of what they meant by "raw" I'd say your critiquer needs some work on THEIR wordcrafting skills.) "Raw" to me might mean a couple of things: Is your technical mastery up to speed, ie: spelling, punctuation, grammar? Is your premise/plot cliche? Are you using a good balance of dialog, action and narrative? Are your characters well developed, each having a unique voice?

Being "raw" isn't the worst thing in the world. The challenge to you is: how fast do you improve? My suggestion is that if you have not yet done a full critique for someone else, like a story of 2000 words or more, start volunteering to read and critique. By seeing the "raw" writings of other people, you'll probably begin to see what your critiquer felt was raw about your own stuff. Seeing it is half the battle. Once you know what raw MEANS, you'll know what to focus on to improve.

Or, you COULD just give up. But if you are a real writer, it would be easier to give up breathing.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited February 21, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not sure what the comment meant, you can always ask for clarification. After all, "raw" might describe the emotional tension or subject material of the text as well as anything else.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I did, haven't gotten a response, but I'd like to fix it. I mean there's a problem with my writing, I want to fix it. I can't make it perfect but acceptable would be nice.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have read every post in this topic Susanna you have probably realised already what I want to say...
You know(we all know)nothing is perfect, a critique should be balanced to give both negative and positive points about the work. You have allowed a negative aspect of the critique to spoil the rest of the critique - didn't they say anything positive at all? If they didn't, that critiquer's opinion (to me) is not worthy of being considered a critique.
Anyway, why didn't you ask for volunteers from here in Hatrack - just flutter those eyelashes...
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I did, and it was overall positive, but the raw threw me. The critiquer wants to keep reading when I have more to read. It's Sarem's Tyranny.
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
As many people pointed out already: ask the critter what they meant. That way, you'll know what they had in mind.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when I ground and polished a telescope mirror, as I recall, I went through successive grades of emery and then switched to rouge. For writing, I don't think telling somebody it's "raw" or needs "polish" is very constructive or concrete. Though often enough there might be little more anybody can say.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Susannaj4, if you want another critique back on your story, go ahead and send it to me. I tend to be pretty thorough in my explanations. (Some might say too much ) *I* won't give you any vague comments. You can email it to buce@charter.net. Put the word HATRACK in the subject title.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I want to be clear that I am not bashing this critiquer. Quite the contrary. I just don't know how to interpret the response in such a way to fix my writing. I think that this person is really good at this.
Elan
Member # 2442

Most people are fine with having you email them back and say, "Would you mind clarifying what you meant when you said..."

It's only when the writer emails you back and says something to the effect of: "You stupid cow, can't you tell how brilliant my writing really is? You must be blind. By page 419 you'll understand everything!"

THAT sort of response really doesn't sit well with most critiquers.

Be patient if you've asked your critiquer for clarification and you haven't heard back. There are lots of people with busy lives, and sometimes it will be a week or more before I hear back from someone. Maybe they've been gone on business, or working overtime, or in some other way slammed for time. I suggest you just move on to the next thing, then if you don't hear from them in a couple of weeks, shrug it off or email them to ask if they got your note.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone who gives a critique is a critic not a critiquer.

If anyone is uncomfortable using the word 'critic' because they find it has harsher connotations than they intend, then they should use the words 'review' and 'reviewer'.

The made-up word 'critiquer' is used around Hatrack all the time and is a personal pet peeve.

As to your question:—

'Raw' in this instance could have meant many things. In my opinion, it most likely meant that the reviewer thought they saw elements in the story that betrayed the writer's inexperience. At Hatrack, we are all new writers and, in one way or another, we are inexperienced. The only way to gain experience is to keep writing and keep sending out stories to reviewers while resisting discouragement. The frustrations we experience along the way are normal. It is also 'normal' to quit writing because of them. What is not normal is to have the heart to keep writing through the difficulties. Assiduity is the trait that allows a writer to master their craft.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 21, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not in my dictionary, but "critiquer" seems a valid word. I'd define it as "a person who writes a critique."

"Critique" is in my dictionary: it's defined as "n. [Fr.] A written estimate of the merits of a performance, especially of a literary or artistic performance; a criticism."

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I understand. For give the mistake.
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
On a sidenote (sorry for hacking the thread, Susannaj4): "critique" is the produced written product. "critic" is the person who writes it.

Many are the English teachers who repeated to me that "critiquer" was an abomination unto the Oxford Dictionary of English

(edited for typo)

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I guess I have a lot to learn. Thank you.
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides what everyone else said:

Realize that, at most, a critique is an OPINION. I've done several critiques for folks here, and any one of them can tell you I'm pretty blunt and opinionated. I can do this because it's not my story, and I don't have the emotional investement in the writing. That's the whole point of reviewing circles such as Hatrack or more traditional writing groups. It's a tough thing to watch your baby get dissected by someone. That makes it incumbent upon the reviewer to critique without criticizing, but it's necessary. If people who are willing to read your work are "underwhelmed" by it, then trying to get people to lay down their hard-earned cash to read it is going to be next to impossible.

I try to be as clear and as honest as possible. I also try to give ideas on how to correct or change things. I don't assume the author sees what I see or sees it the same way I do. Maybe something I point out may spark a totally different idea for the author. If the author likes my ideas, great. If not, oh well, it's not my story. It's just my opinion.

And as opinions, getting several reviews is key. I wouldn't rely too much on what one person says (although you should at least give some thought to their comments). If several people read and point out the same things, sit up and take notice.

Good writing is a process of revising - period. If you can, find a copy of The Real Story by Stephen R. Donaldson. The version I have has an appendix where he takes us through the creative process in writing the book. It took *years* just to "polish" the concept, and even then he knew there was more to the story than what he'd written. He wrote it, revised it, let it sit on a shelf for a while, revised it again, and eventually it worked.

Frankly, I think you've got the basics, simply because you've got a decent grasp of the English language and because you're willing to put the necessary effort into revising your work until it shines. As long as those two things are true, you're not wasting anything.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The other valid word is criticizer, but that comes with some baggage.

Suzannaj4, just my 2 cents, and not necessarily directed at the critique you mentioned. You will get some very painful critiques that hurt not out of spite but out of truth, and it's usually about a problem you were already at least subconsciously aware of. These critiques really sting, and they really piss you off. If you let it pass for a few days, then go back and read the critique and your manuscript again, you should start to see some of the offending prose, and you realize that it is right on. These are the critiques that end up doing the most long-lasting good for our work if we use them to improve. If you can't go through that process you will not likely produce professional quality work.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Ok, let me first make it clear that I respect and value ALMOST every opinion I receive on anything I write. My question about my writing being described as raw threw me because no one has ever said that to me. That's what made it stick. I write every day. This is what I do. It is my passion. I also try to research what I am writing to get the facts on even the most fictional of topics because I consider certain things established. You can add to it but you can't directly change the norm, it isn't believable. I have been writing since I could hold a pencil. My style has changed over the years and I am by no means new to the writing process. It's writing a novel that I need help with and that is why I am here. As far as getting more than one critique, it's awfully hard because not a lot of people want to read my subject matter. I have tried to write straight Sci Fi and right now it just isn't in me. I can't force it. I like fantasy. I have been asked several questions here about my writing and the storylines themselves. Just because something hasn't been heard of doesn't mean that I can't make it up. I thought that was what fiction was all about. I am struggling to find the right way to go about making my work readable and worth reading.That's why I am here. I can take the critism. Especially if it isn't a personal attack. I know that there are people who think I should give it up. One in particular on this board tries to remind me of that every time he/she responds to anything I say. And remember, life is about perception. That's a hard rule I have had to learn.I appreicate the responses I get and when I don't understand them, I ask questions. When I look at someone else's work, I try to be specific in any advice I offer. I could not pick out the reasons why the word raw was used to describe something I wrote, so I came here to get your take on that. Thank you for giving it to me. I appreciate bluntness. I am hardheaded and sometimes I just don't see the forest for the trees. I am not trying in any way to be offensive, I value this time I get to spend here, I value your opinions. Thank you for that. Thank you for helping me.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Hey Susannaj4,

This is my 800th post, how cool.

quote:

I know that there are people who think I should give it up. One in particular on this board tries to remind me of that every time he/she responds to anything I say.

That is disturbing if it is true.

Thinking about your comment, I don't believe there is anyone here on Hatrack, and certainly none I have encountered, who would deliberately discourage anybody else from writing. From my experience here I believe it is not part of this group's ethos.

On another note, my comment on 'critiquer' is not the important part of my post. It was not directed at you alone. Look through the posts and the 'word' pops up a few times. You will find it throughout the whole of the Hatrack Writer's Forums.

The important part of my post was about developing the qualities of persistent application and unflagging effort while avoiding disheartenment at the obstacles. The obstacles, especially the negative remarks of others — or a particular individual who just can't seem to 'get it' — are normal.

There is something else I want to mention. Sometimes when a person gives a whole-hearted and thorough critique they receive a response that is similar to the sort anyone might get from a she-bear defending her young. It can really surprise the critic and shake up their confidence in the value of their criticism.

I am not suggesting you are more like that than anyone else. We all get that way from time to time. I find that, when I receive that kind of visceral reaction from a comment, I have to look carefully at what buttons the critic pushed and why I reacted the way I did. Did it somehow challenge the image I have of myself as a writer? It is a valuable exercise that, if done honestly, leads to improvement.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that "critiquer" is a valid Hatrackism, but you should be cautious about using it in general company. You know, like handwavium.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

This from Mister six thousand and something posts... I defer.
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been putting off reading my critiques from September. But as I was watching some figure skating the other night I realized how much it would help the skaters to listen to the comments on their skating, and I resolved to look at the critiques sometime before too long. Of course, a lot of times the commentators were just talking to make sure their brains didn't start working (ala Ford Prefect) but many of the comments were valid.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I think that getting angry is good. Taking it out out someone else before thinking about it first is bad. Anger is the first step to seeing what went wrong. Then you can go about doing it differently. We all get yelled at and we all yell back. It's a part of life. I hope that I haven't yelled at anyone for any critique(There, it's a noun! ) I have been given. If I have I am sorry.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.