Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing short versus writing long

Author Topic: Writing short versus writing long
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried writing a lot of flash fiction over the past couple of years, and what I'm finding now is that it's hard for me not to write flash. Even when I want to write longer stuff, I find myself winding up the story at around 1000 words. I'm actually trying to just write, without thought of length now, but still find myself in this pattern. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
I found myself starting with very short stories, around 1000-1200 words. I'd go back to see what I could put in that would add color and depth to the story. If I said a door, then maybe it should be a wooden door, or an old metal door or something else that shows rather than tells. I think us flashies need to learn to show more as it's so easy to just tell. That's my particular problem, anyway.

You might also try to write a series of flashes with the same characters and setting. Maybe they could then be melded to form a longer work? Just a thought.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Plot complication showing up on the ship sensors now, Captain.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
I can't write flash. Even on a time limit, I go way past 1000 words.

Plot complications are good. So are characters you know in depth, and who have extra backstory. A non-standard setting, if that's where your affinities lie, can also be pretty good.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice from all of you---thanks. I think I have just felt trapped into cutting things to the bone.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
As I've posted on a couple of other threads recently, I've felt trapped by the same problems, so it's not just you.

I've stopped flashing in fact, for the time being, just to try and break out of the rut.

My solution so far, and this is the first one I've found that seems to work for me, your mileage may vary, is to write down every single specific scene idea I have for my novel. Then go back and figure out an approximate word count based on how much I need to cover in each scene. Once I have a target to shoot for, when I'm writing I can look at my projected word count and try to make the goal, while not padding my prose unduly. Just taking the time to flesh things out a little; putting in bits of description that I would have cut in flash, that kind of thing. Seems to be doing well so far.

For example, I wrote out an outline of each scene that was fairly detailed. I estimated my outline would be 4k. It ended up being 5k, which is fine by me. Longer is okay at this point. If I need to cut bits of the novel later, I'll be able to. I'm just getting the dang thing on paper.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
It's only just recently that I've even considered writing anything shorter than 85,000 words.

Flash fiction versus short stories versus novels... All fiction, all related, but they require different skills.

Try plotting the story out, adding more plot details. Put your characters into the worst positions you can think of, and make their lives complicated and messy.

Good luck.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. Not different skills, but different aspects of the same skills. There may be scenes in a novel where flash writing is perfect because you want to get a point across in as few words as possible. Consider info-dump, if you are going to do it, brevity is best.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I went through an interesting exercise to expand a flash that I thought was too tight. Somehow just rewriting it wasn't working for me; it seemed too finished already.

So I broke every sentence out into its own paragraph, and then wrote several more sentences to finish each new paragraph. The end result was about 3 times longer than the original, and I'd found ways to work in a lot of the information and nuance that I needed to. It's also repetitive and dull in a lot of places but for me it is much easier to cut than to add, so that will be easy enough to tidy up.

Now if I wanted to take that thousand-word piece and expand it into a novel, I'd need to add several more fairly significant characters. I'd make sure they're all in conflict with each other, and that each has problems of his/her own that need to be resolved, preferably in ways that conflict with other characters resolving their problems. And then at the end I would have the evil robot monkeys kill them all.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
lol-Beth.

I guess that you could begin with a short flash as Beth has done, but instead of focusing on every sentence, focus on particular areas that you know could be expanded, like details(Sights, sounds, smells,tangibles) and characters.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.