Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bishonen in Shonen Anime

Author Topic: Bishonen in Shonen Anime
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
While I was watching some Black Cat the other night, I noticed something interesting. See, I'd read a review of a fan event for the show and noted an interesting statistic, the ratio of female to male fans at the event was reported as 3:2. While I watched the opening, I realized that the show was definitely a bishonen anime. Not shocking, but I hadn't thought of it that way before, anime is anime, after all. I've enjoyed a couple of bishonen series before.

At this point, I should back up and explain. The relevant terms here are shonen and shojo, meaning boy and girl, respectively. Shonen anime is marketed towards a predominantly young male audience, shojo towards a predominantly female audience. Naturally, there's a lot of crossover, anime is anime

I won't go farther than that, though any serious otaku certainly would. In my world, anime is for boys and girls, and that's that. Now, even though these two market catagories are very broad and overlap in many places, there are some definite differences. For example, shonen anime often contains some kind of fighting or battles. While the same is occasionally true of shojo anime, the battles in shonen anime are tactically explicit, meaning that a good deal of time is devoted to showing exactly how the hero wins (or loses) each battle. That is markedly different from shojo anime containing battles, where it is usually underlying strategy or alignment which determines the outcome of battles. Clearly, it isn't as simple as all that, but the distinction is evident when you take a series as a whole.

Now to the meat of the discussion. One characteristic (and predictable) difference between shonen and shojo anime is the degree to which anatomical differences between main characters are emphasized. In shojo anime, young male and female characters look pretty similar, differing mainly in clothing, hair-style coloring. Minor characters may have exaggerated physical differences like oddly shaped eyes or anatomy, and adult characters are more clearly male or female in body type and facial structure, but the distinctions don't usually go much beyond that.

In shonen anime, it's just the opposite. All the main characters are very physically distinct in anatomy, and the differences between males and females are clearly evident even in pre-adolescent characters. Now in shonen aimed more at a teen+ audience, there will usually be at least a few bishojo characters, meaning hyper-attractive young females. Depending on the context, these characters might actually have less exaggerated anatomy than other female characters in the same series. The important thing is that they are always drawn a bit more carefully so they look good.

Back to shojo anime, you naturally have bishonen, hyper-attractive young male characters. If you have enough of them and some of them are the main characters, then it's a bishonen anime. Now the important thing to note is that while bishojo characters are hyper-feminine, bishonen are never hyper-masculine. Both words use the mei (ӟ) character, implying a more feminine beauty. While bishonen clearly have a masculine body type, they are always slender and delicate rather than muscular. And their faces are generally indistinguishable from those of females, particularly in terms of the nose and chin. It is also worth noting that all the bishonen designed by a particular artist will have nearly identical body types, varying mostly in height, where bishojo will always have very distinct body types with lots of obvious variation.

Clearly, all this says a lot of interesting things about how men and women naturally want to view the differences between the sexes and between individuals. But really I'm just introducing these concepts as a prelude to a specific theme I noticed when I started thinking about bishonen.

You see, bishonen and characters influenced by the bishonen aesthetic appear in shonen series as well. Probably the least (or most ) ambiguous example is Sai from Hikaru no Go. With a gentle contra-tenor voice and delicate features, as well as his archaic clothing and make-up, a lot of fans had trouble telling whether he was a man or a woman. Obviously, he's a guy...but he's also a bishonen. Another major character with clear bishonen influences is Touya Akira, with his somewhat feminine hairstyle and delicate facial features. Turning to a show like Bleach, we see Kuchiki Byakuya. Very manly, but clearly a bishonen, actually prettier than most of the female characters. An interesting point about these bishonen, they display an important characteristic of bishonen in shojo anime, their "manlyness" derives from extremely advanced abilities rather than from masculine physiques or voices.

Another interesting thing about them is that they are all much more complex than the main characters of their series. They all have melancholy aspects, a bit of dangerous passion (or dispassion, depending on the situation). Very bishonen, and it's interesting that all the shonen shows I really like have these types of characters. The show I like most of all, Madlax, also has such an one. So why is that?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that the shows geared toward a young female audience tend to emphasise similarities/equality between sexes and the ones geared toward young males emphasise differences/inequalities.?

Is there also an observable difference in the way these shows portray people of other races and cultures? Also, are hyper-masculine/muscular types relegated to the position of dimwitted henchmen?

It would be interesting to subvert the stereotypes and see what happens (other than failure in the market).

Edit: PS. You can probably tell the only anime-esque stuff I've ever watched is Spirited Away. So am pleading ignorance here.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 26, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, since bishonen anime is actually geared towards an older female audience, I wouldn't limit it to young girls, but yeah, I'm saying that. As for different races and cultures, it is already conventional to draw characters with very diverse coloring (and racial traits in shonen) theoretically all representing japanese people, so I really couldn't tell you about that. To show that someone's not japanese, they have the character mispronounce common phrases or use a lot of Engrish. It's funny, though, because sometimes they go ahead and design minor characters with recognizably japanese or other racial features and it really stands out in contrast to the main characters. An important note on that, the "traditional japanese girl" characters are never drawn to look racially distinct from other anime characters, but the concession is made in terms of coloring.

Now, to get back on track (or rather establish a track here) I find that I like my heroes in written literature to win by virtue of agility, intelligence, grace, dexterity, etc. rather than by virtue of brute force. It seems that would tie into the bishonen ideal, along with the concept of being a little tortured (or at least conflicted). I don't mind if a guy is ugly, in fact I prefer it since I think that winning by good looks is the same as winning by brute strength. But in anime, the good guys can't be drawn to look bad, it's a bit of a rule

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to disagree with your statement that minor characters are made to look different through things like eyes and such. They usually look pretty similar, except for the points that you used for main characters. And vice versa, I think main characters in animé/manga have differences like eyes and such.

I'm female, and I enjoy shonen manga. It was the first stuff I watched & read, other than Inuyasha which has points toward being both shojo and shonen. Romance and action...shojo and shonen, basically. Now, I prefer shojo manga, but I still love shonen manga, too. I buy both Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat.

I don't get the question, but it's a fun topic to discuss.

I don't mind if the good guy is ugly, either.
Mind you, good-looking is always a bonus.
And as you said, in animé/manga, good people /can't/ be ugly.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, the question was based on the assumption that bishonen play a different role in shonen than in shojo. I mean, they aren't the main characters or love interests of the main characters, or even any other characters most of the time.
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one are you talking about where they don't play important roles? Shojo or shonen?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I didn't say anything about their roles not being important. I said their roles in shonen are different from their role in shojo.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.