Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Synopsis format?

Author Topic: Synopsis format?
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally finished going through my novel one last time (I realized I needed to make some big changes and had to essentially go through it and rewrite alot of the scenes).

I finally finsihed it last night!! (whoo-hoo!)

In any case, now that I'm starting to look at submission requirements to publishers more closely, a lot of them mention sending a few chapters and synopsis for consideration, so my question is, what exactly is the standard format for a synopsis?

I mean, essentially the first three chapters will try to sell your writing style / skill level, but the question of whether or not your story is any good is all determined by your synopsis, so does anyone know a site that gives some tips on writing a good one?

Essentially I'm worried that any story, broken down into, say, one sentence summaries of each chater, just sounds horrible.

Hobbit finds inherits magic ring.
Takes ring to wise council.
Council decides to destroy ring.
Hobbit and friends volunteer.
They can't get over the mountain, and fight orcs down in the mines.
wizard saved them from demon, falling to his death.
They reach the border of evil empire.
Friend tries to take the ring.
Hobbit runs off alone to destroy ring.

Granted I didn't put alot of time or effort into the above, but even book 1 of LotR sounds stupid if you state it so summarily. So how do you write a synopis that really makes someone want to read the rest of your story?

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're confusing a synopsis with a chapter-by-chapter outline. A synopsis is an overview and should have an obvious flow to it that a chapter-by chapter outline doesn't. It can be one page or eight pages or more. There is conflicting advice about length, but usually, the shorter the better, and the one-pager seems to have broad appeal. Follow individual guidelines.

Use present tense, even if your work is in third, and write as though telling the story to a friend. Don't go into detail -- just tell what happens. And give the ending.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 28, 2006).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you're right I was thinking of an outline. No wonder I was confused.

After searching through some informational web sites about constructing a good synopsis, however (this site: http://writing-world.com/publish/synopsis.shtml was particularly helpful) I've run into some other problems I'm not sure how to deal with, though.

The emphasis of the synopsis is the main characters, the POV characters, essentially only the ones we care about, and describing their motivations is essential, just as it is in the work itself. The problem is, in my novel (and maybe this was a bad idea, I don't know) I have a lot of "main" characters. I would say I have three main characters, whose POV we get frequently (in different chapters) all of whom have completely seperate motivating factors behind their decision to work together for a final goal. Added on to that are another 1-2 side characters who are fairly major, but not quite as much, whose POV we is occasionally given, and another 3-4 more minor characters who, nevertheless, all have their own motivations explained in the novel.

How can I possibly fit all that into a 2-10 page synopsis? Especially if these "pages" are the manuscript format pages, meaning only 250 words per page? Should I just completely ignore some characters in the synopsis that are crucial to the plot, simply because it would make it too long? Or would it be better to just slug out a 15 page synopsis?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have three main characters, whose POV we get frequently (in different chapters) all of whom have completely seperate motivating factors behind their decision to work together for a final goal.

--

HOOK

Nathan, Denise and Bob never knew each other. They didn't even live close to each other. But when Lord Darkstorm's machinations threatened their country they came together to fight him and win back their way of life... ad nauseum

MC INTRODUCTIONS

Nathan only ever wanted to be a teacher... etc

Denise was never happy at home. She longed to escape the life her family planned for her... etc

Bob, on the other hand, would have been glad to muck out stalls for the rest of his life. .. etc

CONFLICT/INTRO TO ANTAGONIST?

COMPLICATIONS

RESOLUTION

--

That's one approach.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
What might help is getting your story down to one succinct pitch sentence -- a 30-second tag line. It's a challenge. Then enlarge it to a paragraph, like a jacket blurb. Then do a one-page synop, then a three, five, eight, whatever. You'll learn a lot about your story because you'll get a feel for what the main elements are and the relative importance of the lesser ones, and you'll be prepared for whatever length different agents/publishers require. The one-sentence tag line, or log line I've heard it called, and the paragraph blurb are immensely important to writing query letters and pitching to agents/editors.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting approach, Mike - haven't seen a synopsis treated that way, I've only ever seen the "plot summary" approach, and I have an incredibly hard time with them. It's like having to take all the cool stuff out of my writing, and I have yet to find a way of doing it that doesn't just sound, well, frankly, dull.

I may well try that version, when it comes to trying to hawk one of my novels around. Of course, I'd have to finish one, first.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.