Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Nochnoi Dozor or Night Watch

Author Topic: Nochnoi Dozor or Night Watch
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out about this Russian film only recently and wondered if anyone here had seen it and what they thought of it. Even though parts of the premise sounded a bit... overused, some of the images intrigued me.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Alex and I went to see Night Watch, a decision we made based off the trailers, which looked cool. Truth be told, I didn't see more than 10 minutes of it before falling asleep, and I slept through the whole movie only to wake up at the credits. Alex, however, saw it all and said it was "fairly awful," and "didn't make any sense," and "had some serious plot issues." Visually, some of the effects were nice, he said.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, HSO.

I remember reading a few reviews on imdb.com by Russians that said they didn't think anyone outside a Russian audience would really understand the movie. There were inside jokes/references that just wouldn't translate. I had hoped they were wrong: some of those images looked awesome.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The culture barrier can sometimes be insurmountable for books or movies. Yet I've seen foreign films I've loved. I recently caught a movie entirely in German ("The Harmoninsts.") No dubbing, just subtitles, even the songs were in German...but I loved it enough to go out and round up two CDs worth of songs by the artists.

Maybe this movie would work that way...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the writers didn't know how or possibly want to reach a wider audience.

Some things can reach across any cultural barrier. Some things can't. Tone does, tricksy word choice can't.

Did you know that the tones of voice used by a mother talking to her baby are the same in any language? Interestingly, it is the same way most people talk to their pets.

I'm a total layman on this subject and all my conclusions are derived from too much time reading on my owne and watching cable TV late into the night. To my undereducated mind, culture is merely shared context.

Like gravity, where every atom in the universe exerts some tiny amount of influence on ever other, every person shares some contextual understanding with every other person. The more context they share, the more culturally alike two people are. That there are some natural or convenient demarcation lines leads to the idea of seperate cultures.

Demarcation leads to barriers and toll booths which, of course, have to be staffed by bureacrats.

I will stop typing now. I look forward to a lively discussion.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.