Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bootcamp (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bootcamp
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are just sending the first page, how does that work out as a format? I've looked around at relevant posts a bit, and do I have to allocate space for my name and title both? What about Margins? Would it be okay to go with 10 pt?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
franc li, if you look back though this thread and follow Eric Stone's link, you will see the page he submitted. Also somewhere on his site is a link to how it physically looked. That should answer your questions. And I believe that Spaceman and others who have applied did touched on some of your questions in this thread as well.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I used Eric James Stone's formatting for my sample, and so far no one has complained . I figure if it got him into Bootcamp it's good enough for me.

I would have used standard MS format with Courier, but with the first page I'd chosen (=a fair bit of dialogue), this ended up looking ridiculously slight.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I did look at that, but it didn't actually answer my questions.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

I put in title and name at the top. 1-inch margins, times new roman size 12, and double-spaced. But I don't think it matters that much.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

I did what Silver did. I picked a story I wanted to use, decided how much space I needed to include everything I wanted to and still have it look nice. I put the title, then my name centered and then the sample-- double spaced, 12pt, New Times ( because with that font I could squeeze a few more sentences in). Even though, with the sample and the application, it was only two pages I used a large envelope so I did not have to fold it.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Ah well...I didn't have any large enveloppes, so I had to fold. Hope he doesn't mind too much.
Kickle
Member # 1934

If I saw your postmark, I'd be thinking that anyone willing to travel across an ocean to take a workshop deserves to get in.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 29, 2006).]

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Did OSC give required parameters for formatting this year? He didn't last year. I don't think he ever does.

Some people sent in a page that was crammed with text, single-spaced, top of the page to bottom. One page of text. There really weren't that many who submitted in standard short-story, page-one format (thirteen lines, starting halfway down the page).

Later he allowed those of us who HAD submitted in standard format to send more. I didn't. I figure if my thirteen lines was enough to get me in, it was enough to serve me while there. Also, I think he probably doesn't request standard format simply so it gives him a prime opportunity to discuss what standard format IS.

So if you really feel like you want to, send in a whole page, single spaced, top to bottom.

And good luck.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I got in on a standard MS format first 13 lines. That's why I had to send more later (for a package that he hands out).
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
When is the application deadline? And where is the information on the class? Time, place, cost.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
arriki: The info is linked to from the main page... http://www.hatrack.com/ (though I didn't see daily start/end times, just begin/end dates)
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

The schedule is given with the material they send after you pay. (last year it included a copy of Characters and Viewpoints.)

If memory serves, I think we started at 8:00, broke for lunch, went went late, or went to dinner and came back and worked until 9:00 or later. Bootcamp is not a vacation.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Hum, I figured anything that styles itself as "bootcamp" is probably not going to be a vacation.

Silver, who has vivid memories of her (military) bootcamp deep in the mountains.

pjp
Member # 3211

Depends. Information Technology related "bootcamps" tend to be weeklong "9-5" type deals. Still a lot of information to process in that amount of time.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Ah. I obviously don't know all the connotations of that word
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Boot" as used in "boot camp" and in IT actually has some congruency, though the etymologies are entirely different (well, both derive from reference to boots, I suppose).

So, what base?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

I went to Ft. Jackson, SC (Army).

Can anyone who has been to the Utah boot camp offer more info on where it is held and lodging? The SVU location requires use of their facilities, which doesn't sound appealing to me. Plus, I'm in Colorado, so it'd be cheaper to get to the UT location.

Reading through past discussions of boot camps, it sounds very daunting. I typically take a long time to work out ideas. Reading about having only hours is very intimidating.

Silver3
Member # 2174

I went to Barcelonnette, in the French Alps. But it probably doesn't mean much to you. Suffice to say it's situated at a high altitude, and that the military believe long mountain walks do wonder for your body.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

PJP, you stay at the living arrangements of your choice in Utah. It's held at he small college in Orem called Utah Valley State College, or something like that. I stayed at the hotel across the street from the campus becaus it was the cheapest. The one they recommended was not.
pjp
Member # 3211

Thanks, Spaceman. Looks like it'd be ~10.5hr drive.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I drove to Orem from Phoenix. It's about 10 hours due to that big hole I had to drive around.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, Ft. "Oppression Starts Here", eh?

Yeah, the military derivation of "boot" comes from actual boots. Not fanciful boots that do the work for you.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Am I the only one biting her nails? The answers for Bootcamp are supposed to be in by tomorrow...
Kickle
Member # 1934

My nails are bloody stumps. I doubled checked, it says "by" tomorrow. But your tomorrow comes quicker than mine.
Are we really the only two Hatrackers who applied?

Silver3
Member # 2174

There were a couple of others who mentioned the possibility, but I don't know whether they've actually applied.

I keep on worrying. But I'll be sleeping through most of your afternoon, so I won't get to worry during that time

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited April 09, 2006).]

Kickle
Member # 1934

Yeh! I'm in.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Knock'em dead.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Congrats, Kickle. Prepare to work your tail off. I hope it changes your life.
Silver3
Member # 2174

I'm in too.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my oh my.
Well done!
Congratulations.

Have a blast for the rest of us non-mainland-usa-hatrackers.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, newbies!

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

Congrats Silver and it will be great to meet you. .
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you. Have loads of fun and learn lots of writing stuff.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, guys! I'm really happy for you.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! Have a GREAT time!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.