Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I SOLD MY NOVEL!!! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I SOLD MY NOVEL!!!
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I get a list of demands? Neat! ... A pen would be good in case I forget mine.

Oh, you poor dear. You clearly need training in "How to Become A Demanding Primadonna."

You don't just ask for a pen.
You specify the manufacturer, brand name, point size, and color of ink.

I remember spending a half an hour one day running round the building trying to round up a handful of Sanford Sharpie medium tip black pens for a well-known folk singer's last-minute demand prior to his performance.

Regarding the public speaking thing... especially in regards to television and radio... Remember this:
The camera adds ten pounds to your figure.
The camera adds ten years to your age.
The camera adds ten times the goofy appearance to your unconscious fidgeting, throat clearing, "you know"ing, waving hand gestures and odd mannerisms.

Toastmasters is a natural for authors, as they use the critique method. You prepare and give a speech to your club, they analyze it not only for content and smooth presentation, but also your gestures, your stiff attitude, your unconscious as well as conscious gestures and mannerisms.

If you think you are ready for prime time, have someone videotape you during a mock interview. THEN make a decision as to whether you need polish.

I have a friend who is a professional consultant and marketer for newly published authors. It's the number one hazard of new authors going before the TV is that they have no clue how much the camera is going to accentuate their unconscious behaviors and mannerisms, and rarely to their benefit.

Toastmasters International ( http://www.toastmasters.org ) will help you speak like a pro in ANY situation. It's not just for people facing tv interviews, but for anyone who ever has to make a presentation in a meeting or give a rousing speech. I went to a toastmasters conference and heard the 2004 World Champion of Public Speaking winner, Dr. Randy Harvey talk about how he crafted his award winning speech. I learned a heck of a lot about WRITING from him: about including important details and leaving others to the audience's imagination, about pacing, about engaging the audience emotionally. Public speaking and writing are more similar than not.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 17, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a demanding client ( not an author but close... an artist) come into my office and with one sweep of his arm wipe EVERYTHING off my lightbox; film, transparencies everything, onto the carpet.

Then he produced his little 35mm slide and placed it squarely in the centre.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
PS: Seeing yourself on TV is like listening to yourself on tape. 'That's not how I sound/look... is it?' It's a photo that moves, you can't pick the shot like you can with a normal photo. The audience gets the whole sequence! Not just the tilted head shot.

It always horrifies the subject infinitely more than the audience .

Do avoid lairy patterned clothes making the audience feel strabismic.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 17, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the crazy m&m demand was so that they could get out of their contract by claiming that all agreed upon terms where not met. Yeah, I generally assume the other guy is trying to get one by. I think it comes from having a sister that was a tobacco lobbyist and then went on to corporate law.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Tentative release date for e-book: September 15th, 2006.

I have been making more posts on my website lately. (http://www.christineamsden.com) I am gearing up for the e-book release. Most of the promotion for the e-book will occur in cyberspace. I am thinking of setting up a question and answer session, either live or through e-mail. (Probably through e-mail unless there is enough interest in it in that form to warrant a live chat.) I am also compiling lists of on-line publications that may be interested in the release of my novel, including the 'zines that have published my stories in the past. I am hoping to interest some in an author interview.

My publisher has also recently been given the opportunity to showca her entire collection at an online writer's conference this October. She has asked me to send her a mp3 relating to my book to bundle with the book for this conference -- a forward, an interview, or me reading part of the book. I haven't decided what to do just yet.

Here's a link to the conference. I will certainly be posting it again as it comes nearer.

http://www.freewebs.com/themuseonlinewritersconference/

P.S. If I don't make the needed changes to my website by this weekend, you are all welcome to pinch or kick me. (but no hitting or stepping on my foot)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. Look like I may have the opportunity to be a presenter at the conference as well. I'll keep you posted...
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.