Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Fiction Markets

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Markets
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn that we've had this topic before, but I used my best searching abilities, and couldn't find it (which isn't saying much: I'm not that slick with a lot of technology). Does anyone know of good markets that publish flash fiction? I've found a handful of not-so-great-looking e-zines, and right now, I'm mostly interested in markets that will look reputable at the bottom of future query letters. Any ideas? Thanks, in advance.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll email you some.

Several of the flash forums which share users with this site have lists. If you enjoy writing flash, you might look into joining Liberty Hall or Notebored.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the listings on ralan.com list the market's word count requirements; that's a good place to start your search.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
After the Liberty Hall post, and this one, I'm curious... what is 'flash'?
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
very short fiction. Different markets define the upper word count differently, but 1000 words is a common cut-off.

The flash challenges at LH are timed writing challenges; you're limited to 90 minutes, which in most cases means the word count tends to be low (but there is not a word count limit most weeks).

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, wordcount tends to be low. Unless you're me, in which case you just find a way to type faster...
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I've proved capable of writing 2300-word "flashes"... and a lot less capable of writing sub-1000 ones.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last year my flashes have increased in length from about 750 words to 1000 words. I've learned to create (or at least do a better job of creating) a complete story arc and one or more characters in about 10 minutes, then write for 60 minutes or so, and edit for a few more before I submit the story to the challenge.

Notebored also has flash challenges: http://www.notebored.com/

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.