Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Outsiders! (If you've read come here)

Author Topic: The Outsiders! (If you've read come here)
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really horribly written book. Good theme and everything, but the author did a horrible job when writing it. Do you agree?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chemo_man
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for chemo_man   Email chemo_man         Edit/Delete Post 
i disagree, i felt it was a wonderfully written book. But if you felt it was sub-standard, always remember, S.E Hinton was 16 when she wrote it.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The forum "Published Hooks and Books" is the proper place to post a query like this. We regularly trash published works there. This forum is for Open Discussions About Writing.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing the book when I was a teenager and just beyond, before the movie came out...for a time it seemed like it was everywhere...but I never particularly wanted to read it. Why, I can't say for sure. Most of my reading at the time was science fiction, and it certainly was not science fiction. (My reading interests have shifted some since then.) But that can't be all. Sometimes a book seems like it's being shoved down your throat, and that's kind of off-putting in itself.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, the story was kind of sappy and melodramatic (melodram which was magnified to unbelievable proportions in the movie), but it's young adult lit. When you're 16, LIFE is melodramatic. I think it's a fine book for what it is.

Why do you think it was horribly written? What was horrible about it?

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited March 15, 2006).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I read it...something about angst-filled teenagers...but I can't for the life of me remember it. Can you be more specific about why you thought it was a bad book?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved this book when I was fourteen. Haven't read it since for fear of killing the magic.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, to a degree. The end of the book was good, but opening to mid-book was quite badly written. The author tells us everything. I long to be showed. When 'told' details, I never remember half of them.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
It twas a bad book because the author (like x__sockeh__x said) It told you what happened instead of showing it to you. In my opinion, a book that does that is not a very good book.
Like I said earlier, It was a good storyline, and a good message, it just wasnt very well written in the sense that she didnt use much detail in parts and overloaded them in others. It was very annoying!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading that book way back in middle school. All I can remember is that I didn't like it because I thought it was just so darn boring. It just wasn't really my thing. I don't remember the writing well enough to comment on that, I just remember the plot well enough to know that I didn't (and still don't) find it very interesting.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
When I read it at 17 and remarked on how good it was, my classmates looked down on me as they'd all read it 4 or 5 years earlier. Sometimes ya just can't win.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Chocolate
Member # 3301

- posted      Profile for Hot Chocolate   Email Hot Chocolate         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't enjoy it. It was way to melodramatic for my tastes, and nothing in it seemed realistic. To write a good book, your audience has to believe it. Truly good books are the ones that inspire the readers, and make them believe what was written could really happen, even if it's about fairies and elves. Hinton just couldn't do that for me.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it as an adult, after having finally seen the movie, and I liked the movie better.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie had a wonderful cast, an acclaimed director, and a great story to work from. I was very disappointed that it didn't come out better.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.