Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » St. Patrick's Day and Ethnicity in Storytelling

Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day and Ethnicity in Storytelling
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the attorneys in my firm are Irish-Catholic. Some aren't. St. Patty's day is kind of a big deal around here. I heard a remarkable repartee over lunch (which, incidentally, was the first time I've ever seen corned beef, cabbage, and soda bread catered)

One of our proud attorneys of Irish descent proclaimed, "God created whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Another (non-Irish) attorney responded, "No, God created whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule Ireland."

Brilliant.

The witty repartee got me to thinking about the true spice provided by cultures of mixed ethinicity like America. Distinct ethnicity does so much for characterization, and the interaction between ethnicities provides so much opportunity for good dialogue, that I'm surprised that scifi authors, as a whole, largely fail to take advantage of the possibilites. Why create a flat and shallow alien culture to add spice to your novel when you could simply have your main character be Irish (for example)?

[This message has been edited by J (edited March 17, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by J (edited March 17, 2006).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Or, the better question, is why not utilize the strangeness between alien cultures to provide a little comic relief like you mentioned, where two characters recognize their differences and figure a way to work around them? The sort of incident you mentioned is a good way to develop characterization and highlight the challenges of a milieu at the same time.

I subscribe to Dr. Goodword's "Word of the Day". Today the word was "leprechaun."

quote:
Word History: Nothing seems more Irish than the Gaelic word leprechaun but lurking inside this word is a Latin borrowing that attests to the Catholic Church's influence on the language. The Irish Gaelic luprachán goes back to Old Irish luchorpán. This word is luchorp from lú- "small" + corp "body"—from Latin corpus 'body" + -án, a diminutive suffix. The Gaelic lu "small" is a radically reduced form of PIE *legwh- "light, having little weight" of which English light is a historical paronym. In Latin it emerged as levis "light" and in Russian lëgkiy "light". With a fickle [n], it also emerged in English as lungs which, not long ago, were called lights.

Just a wee bit of word lore for St. Paddy's Day...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
One problem with doing it in earth settings in political correctness. There is a blurry line and if an editor is even somewhat afraid you might have crossed it they won't risk publishing your work.

This is one way in which science fiction has an advantage over mainstream "real life" fiction. You can essentially say and do the exact same thing but without risk of political incorrectness since you "made it all up."

By the way, did the pope give out a special dispensation to allow Catholics to eat meat today? I seem to recall that he did the last time St. patty's day fell on a Friday, but that was a different pope...

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
(As I understand it, the Catholic diocese I happen to be parked in issued a dispensation to allow the consumption of corned beef. I heard it in news reports, not from attendance at church---I haven't been since 1968.)

Ethnicity seems to be a touchy subject nowadays. There are some aspects that can be commented on---followed closely by a whole bunch that can't be brought up. Who happens to be doing the commentary also affects what can and can't be said. Political correctness doesn't seem to account for it all.

You may have seen recent TV ads, for something touting its product as "so simple even a caveman can use it." (Some sort of insurance or insurance website, I think---see just how effective the ad is? I can't remember what it's for.) The next bit has cavemen complaining about how they're being portrayed---and also demonstrating how sophisticated they currently are.

I think they used "cavemen" rather than an existing ethnic group---and you can imagine the outcry if they had used a real group.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.