Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Orson Scott Card

Author Topic: Orson Scott Card
x_nikki_x
Member # 3297

- posted      Profile for x_nikki_x   Email x_nikki_x         Edit/Delete Post 
Who here has read his book(s)?
What one was your favorite?
Mine was Enders Shadow. My one friend, Brittany, she is totally obsessed with him. She even has the nickname Bean because Bean Delphiki is her fav. character and shes like totally obsessed with him! 'tis quite funny!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Nikki, welcome to Hatrack!

I'm sure everyone on this forum has read some OSC. (My personal favorite is Enchantment.) This topic would probably be better suited in the 'Published Books and Hooks' section of the forum, however.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
oh sorry!
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
shes not like obseesed like love like roi anythign. she just thinks hes spiff!
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm confused...
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW, Is the emperor naked yet?

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I enjoyed his short fiction rather than his novels. I didn't enjoy the sexual content or the cursing, but there were several good short stories.

The Alvin Maker series is also a good one. Can't wait for the concluding volume to the series.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing OSC is the reason many of us came here in the first place. At least it's true for me.

"Hart's Hope" is my fave of his. Wonderful fantasy.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a high school flashback...but I'll still try to answer the question.

Er, yeah, I do like OSC's stuff and have read most of it.

Constipation: are we talking about the same Orson Scott Card? Seual content and cursing? Say what?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 19, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I came here on Kathleen's recommendation / referral---then wondered how I missed this site these past several years. I knew *of* Card, of course, and had read some of his shorter works over the years and liked them, but haven't read any of his stuff lately, that I can recall.

*Then,* after seeing frequent messages of approval, I picked up the Alvin Maker books---and, now that I've plowed through them, I'm sorry I didn't do so much sooner. Someday real soon, I hope to browse through some others.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here because of OSC's review of the movie "Serenity".

I've read his fiction, but cannot say that I'm as impressed as other people here are and I don't think his teachings on the craft are the bible of writing. Most of what he says will make a person a better writer, though. I believe that following all of his teachings will keep someone from being among the best.

OSC is a great writer.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
My absolute favorite was Ender's Game (and it's one of my favorite novels of all time), although I've enjoyed several of his other novels. The Alvin Maker books just didn't do it for me, and I haven't read some of the older stuff yet.

And I ended up here because of his books, I believe. Seems like a long time ago now.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine,

Yes, we're talking about the same OSC. Go read his "Maps in a Mirror" collection of short stories and you'll see what I'm talking about just in the first half of the collection. I could name the names of the specific stories where he includes these things but that's hardly what I'm mentioning it for.

I'm not saying that he's got HEAVY objectionable content like some other books I've read, but it's still there and I think the stories would've been better without it.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe that following all of his teachings will keep someone from being among the best.

Well, there is at least one counter-example, as Scott's Hugos and Nebulae will attest. He follows his own teachings.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyna
Member # 3062

- posted      Profile for Nyna           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites of OSC's were 'Songmaster' and 'Speaker for the Dead.' I haven't read everything he's ever written, for sure -- only a few of his short stories, and I've never read any of the Biblical riffs, among others. (I also never finished the Alvin Maker series.)

I don't think he's the God of Fiction Writing, to be Obeyed Or Else, but but some of the things he has to say have merit. Probably different things for me than for other people. Individual preference and style is kind of the name of the game.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, there is at least one counter-example, as Scott's Hugos and Nebulae will attest. He follows his own teachings.

Does that mean that he's one of the best though?
Don't get me wrong, I /love/ OSC's books. He's a brilliant author, probably one of my favourite.
But everything is preference.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all of OSC's books except for Lovelock, which for some reason I've been at a complete loss to find.

I don't think there's a writer in the world whose work affects me with as much clarity and precision as his.

My favorite novel by him is Songmaster, though the first book I read by him was, as is usually the case, Ender's Game. I was in tears by the end of Songmaster---I loved (probably still do) every single one of the characters.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I currently am reading all of his books and forum through his site. I personally like Speaker for the Dead--think that's his best written. As far as plot and intricacy goes though, The Alvin Maker series just amazes me.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Exactly. His teaching are about what works for him. They are the guidelines that steer his inner storymaker into written words. But everyone has their own inner storymaker.

Its like mapquest:
The directions from OSC's inner storymaker to a great story are dictated in his teachings.

If anyone else started at their own inner storymaker and followed OSC's directions, they will not end up at the same place.

But, if they study OSC's teaching and can identify what is true for them, compare them what they know and learn elsewhere, they might just find the directions they need to arrive at their destination, their own great stories.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chemo_man
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for chemo_man   Email chemo_man         Edit/Delete Post 
my all time favorite book is enders game, but i just read shadow of the giant, and that gives it a run for its money

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does that mean that he's one of the best though?
Don't get me wrong, I /love/ OSC's books. He's a brilliant author, probably one of my favourite.
But everything is preference

Judging by how much shelf-space he gets, I'd say that a lot of people think he is one of the best.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Danielle Steele gets a lot of shelf space, too. But I'd rather listen to Card's writing advice than hers.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is like one of my all-time fav's too!!! I really think he's spiff as well!!! It's like the other day I was like at the B&N and this guy was like diss'ing him, and I just like totally went ballistic and told him off, because like the Alvin Maker series and Enchantment are like some of the best stuff I have ever read!!!

Seriously....

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese Whiz, Beth, did you have to mention Danielle Steele? I think I'm going to be sick now... *mutters* Where's that vomity smiley when ya need it?

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
x_nikki_x? So, are you two people? Nikki, and Plumeh?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmcalduff
Member # 2963

- posted      Profile for pmcalduff   Email pmcalduff         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. I was thinking she (I assume it is a she) was three people:

x_nikki_x
Plumeh
TruHero

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
...and here *I* was thinking TruHero was being a tad sarcastic.

But I would venture a guess that both X_nikki_X and plumeh are under the requisite "age 18 or older" ...'salright with me as long as the junior whelps behave. Just don't tell She Who Must Be Obeyed.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited March 20, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that someone recognizes good ol' sarcasm when they see it. On the other hand, I guess that means I can still pull-off a good pre-pubescent when the situation arises.

If I had to guess, I would say that Nikki, Plumeh, and Sockeh are the the ones below the age limit. But, I just calls 'em how I see's 'em!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmcalduff
Member # 2963

- posted      Profile for pmcalduff   Email pmcalduff         Edit/Delete Post 
Now don't I feel foolish.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sockeh has admitted to being below age, so that one doesn't count. Trying to puzzle out a poster's age here on Hatrack is a good exercise in how dialog can convey a voice and a sense of the age of the character. Like, wow!
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wusong101
Member # 3320

- posted      Profile for Wusong101   Email Wusong101         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read many of Orson Scott Card's books. He is definately one of my favorite authors. I came to this forum through his novels.
I think that I owe a lot to OSC. He provided this web site and shares his knowledge and opinions here. He really has inspired me to write.
My favorite book by him is probably Ender's Game. Although I just finished Treasure Box, Magic Street, and Shadow of the Giant. He has a writing style that really impresses upon me.
Is his way THE WAY? No, of course not. But having the choice to write without hearing his advice and to write with his council I'd choose to hear him out. You can always learn from someone who has been there, even if you don't agree with them.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Planet Called Treason"
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who finds objection to content from a poster called "Constipatron" pleasingly ironic?

Also, there is a discussions on OSC forum over in the "Forums" section. Though most the people who post there seem to think criticizing OSC illustrates their intelligence, so people who like OSC sometimes don't find it a fun place to hang out. But here I am criticising them. Now I feel bad.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Outside the Ender books, "Treason" (which recently got a reprint in paperback for those who have never read it) is by far his best. "Hart's Hope" and "Wyrms" are other classic Scott favorites. Though Wyrms is a bit ... off the beaten path for Scott. Or anyone for that matter. But good nonetheless.

"Maps in a Mirror" was very good too. I highly recommend it to all short story lovers. I'm with Contipatron in a way, being an old school OSC fan in a lot of ways. Back when he was almost exclusively SciFi/Fantasy outside his religious tales.

Jammrock

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited April 06, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

I really like OSC's writing, honestly. His style and imagination have definitely contributed to my meager and midiocre talent to write. I definitely owe him my gratitude for where I'm at.

The "criticism" was reluctant on my part but I wanted to be completely honest with those who post here. Not my intention to have attacked anyone.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
FL was just fooling with you, Consti. I will say that your user name would have been better without the, um, obvious associations. I'm not quite willing to say the same about all the "objectionable content" in Card's works. I don't really feel that he's ever reached the level of clearly gratuitous use of sex and cursing, though I can probably make an argument for some of his "characters examining their own belly buttons" scenes.

But, as far as I know, character introspection doesn't usually count as objectionable.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.