Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Commonwealth Games

Author Topic: Commonwealth Games
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys.
I am just wondering whether the Commonwealth games get any coverage in non-Commonwealth nations?

I have seen how seriously it is taken within Commonwealth Countries. There is also a sort of tacit acknowledgement that this is really limited comp. where you can break a WR or you could break a Games Record. It made me wonder about such events in a Sci-fic setting where the "Commonwealth" may be intra or interplanetary or even intra/inter-solar but still be only a small part of a larger 'community'.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 21, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
uh... what's a "commonweath game"??? No, seriously. I've never heard the expression.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Do you know what the "The Commonwealth of Nations" is?

53 nations in total.

The thirteen original states in the US that fought for independance are eligible too but, realistically, would never join.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Refers to those nations that are part of the Commonwealth (what's left of the British Empire), right?

Anyone who still puts Queen Elizabeth on their postage stamps?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And are the Commonwealth Games soccer, or more than one sport (like soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis, etc)?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

No.
It's like the Olympics.

All 53 nations can compete.

A country doesn't have to be a former British colony to be a member of the Commonwealth.

It is a free association of independent, sovereign nations and most have a history of British rule, just like parts of the US has.

But not necessarily, others can join.

Its main purpose is to promote co-operation, democracy, human rights, and good governance.

I just wondered about the World Records that are getting smashed every day at the moment in everything from swimming and track and field and whether any of it gets a mention in a broader context. Clearly the question is answered -- not in the US. But I was wondering about other nations represented on the boards here too.

Nothing to do with postage stamps!

In a sci-fic context I was wondering how plausible it was for a HUGE event to occur within a 'federation' or 'commonwealth' and have it not even produce a 'blip' on the radar of closely associated societies. Stupid question in hindsight.

Elan
Member # 2442

Consider your source: I am a sports heathen. I don't care a fig about sports and in no way are they on my radar screen. So there is a lot of stuff in American sports that I am totally clueless about. So some American who is big into sports might know about this Commonwealth thingie. But as far as I know, American TV is mostly about football (our version of it), basketball, and baseball. Oh, not sure if you can count buffalo testicle eating as seen on Fear Factor...?
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I follow sports a little, just enough to keep track of my favorite teams, and I've hardly heard of the Commonwealth games. Don't know anything about them, or anyone who competes in them.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Canadian, and an avid fan of the Commonwealth Games.

In Japan I haven't heard anything about it at all so far.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan didn't mention NASCAR...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

We try to ignore NASCAR whenever possible.... But nothing holds a candle to WWE Wrestlemania.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had to have March Madness explained to me by my father (who was puzzled by how they could run it starting with 65 teams...so I'm guessing he got it second-hand from someone who wasn't strong in basic...uh, counting) and more throughly by my sister, who actually follows the games and has one of those little picks charts filled out. I was also surprised to hear that the Superbowl was held recently. As for baseball....

Look, I knew that the Olympics were happening, but I didn't follow any of the events. I only know the names of a couple of people who participated, Michelle Kwan and Apollo Ohno, and I don't know if they won anything. There was some other guy that everyone had heard of but didn't win...but I can't remember his name at all.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

...and there was the Flying Tomato.... not that I know his name or anything. I was merely grateful my son is old enough he now drives and no longer skateboards. I would have hated to have him try to emulate Mr. Tomato's moves on his board. I had enough trips to the Emergency Room with the kids as they were growing up as it was...
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Wow.
Human nature I guess. But while the Commonwealth Games are happening, the coverage seems very parochial. The media seems to only report on the success of the Aussies and only rarely on achievements of other nations (and usually only if it is something spectacular).

Often you only get the massive gaffs or accidents that other's have. Remember that footage of the gymanast running full-tilt at the beam and missing the springboard? He hit the beam end-on, smack in the middle of his chest. Surely you remember? Gives me shivers.

I'm wondering whether it is the same in other countries or whether it is particularly bad here.

Any Brits here?

My instinct says that it is natural human behaviour and it could feasibly translate into "interplanetary parochialism".

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 22, 2006).]

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of some americans who compete(d) in the commonwealth games. Not any names, it just that I am an sports/news/info junkie and remember during the sydney games and the US trials that a coupler of our lesser knowns had commonwealth experience.

Typically these are youngish runners trying to prove them selves on the world stage.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
The good old Commonwealth Games, I just enjoy the public transport and trying to get into the city now... Ugh, stupid out of towners!!

Ummm... yes, the Commonwealth games are going splendid. No other country will beat us Aussies, we are more than double our nearest rival and that being England.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any Brits here?

Over here, yes, the reporting is utterly parochial, as it is for any and all sporting events. I think that's pretty much a universal given, and is precisely why almost no-one in the US will have even heard of the Commonwealth games (I'm intrigued by Matt Lust's mention of US athletes having competed at the Games - presumably these are ones who have changed nationality? That's been happening a lot more in recent years, particularly with some of the Gulf States appearing to "buy" medals by offering citizenship and money to successful Kenyans and Ethiopians).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.