Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Words for Changing in Midstream Habit?

Author Topic: Words for Changing in Midstream Habit?
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else do this? I like to have enough book ideas around that I never run out, even if I get stuck or one book doesn't work out. I used to think if a book wasn't finished in two years, it meant I wasn't meant to write that book and better find another, so I'd second guess myself, that I was wrong about the book in the first place, and switch. As a result I've amassed a pile of book fragments, only a few finished books, and only one published.

One book in particular has returned so persistently for so long I figured I'll just finish that first IF IT KILLS me, then go on to the next one which has been waiting a bit longer but is a bit more difficult in some ways, and so on.

Is there a word for this bad habit? Changing horses in midstream? Shifting with the wind? Anyone else do it, or just me?

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
ADT?
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on how engrossed I am in the world I'm building. I frequently find myself switching manuscripts, that doesn't mean I won't get back to the other it just means the one I switch to is more fun at the moment. Sooner or later I force myself to buckle down on the primary, work my way past the sticking spot and get back to enjoying my world and the story that emerges.
Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Perhaps you mean ADD, not ADT.

One of the ideas of having more than one book going at a time is if I got completely stuck or frustrated on one, I could move to another. Rather than doing that, I seem to just drop them all for years at a time. What's more, most of them are long novels rather than short stories and at least as far as the one I've settled on, I'm convinced that even if hopelessly stuck on one part I could be working on another. It's as if I reach a point where I just let my fears take over, then something makes me think of the book again and I pick it back up.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound far more experienced than me, but I will try to be wise. (nods sagely). I find that I put the story aside when it has a problem. It may be a great story brought low by a tiny problem. I get distracted by the fun stuff.

So, for me, its about identifying the problem, for instance, this important character is not working out the way I want him to. How do I change that?

Writing stories is a bit like a marriage, the ones that work are the ones where you learn how to solve the inevitable problems instead of tossing your hands in the air. It can't all be fun stuff.

{mental note... fix busted window this weekend and stay friends with Tina. }

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 23, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words: Don't turn your stories into cuckolds.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 23, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yeah...thanks...I am trying not to obsess over the problems and forget the good parts.
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfectionism? Seeing that your novel can't possibly ever be perfect so you drop it and start on another? When all you're really doing is depriving yourself of the chance to learn from the stories that are not perfect.

At least, this is what I tell myself whenever I'm temped to drop a story in the middle.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of metaphors come to mind:

"Juggling." Think of your stories as balls in the air, where you toss (work on) one, then another, then another. Then sometimes you drop one...

I'm fond of a stovetop metaphor---when I stop working on something for a long period of time, I'll refer to it as being "on the back burner." Sometimes I'll get back to it---a novel I've worked on for, oh, fifteen years now (my God!) flared up for a month or so earlier this year. Sometimes not.

That reminds me---I've got a roast on the stovetop and I need to check it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Robert, you are on to something, but with Aalanya, WE HAVE A WINNER! Perfectionism.

I always felt that God put me on this earth to be a devastatingly great writer, and if I didn't succeed in good enough time He was going to see to it that I suffered a hideous demise. One time I really thought my time was up and God was coming to collect me. I found a suspicious lump and thought, that's it. God must have decided I hadn't produced the Great American Novel in good enough time and was cashing in my chips! I just KNEW I had cancer and was dying, I only made a doctor's appointment to confirm it. Before I could get to the doctor, everybody fell apart because Princess Diana died--older than me by less than a year. I thought, gee, why did she die? Everyone liked her and she had everything to live for. Why am I still alive? Then I went to the doctor's appointment and my "cancer" was only a benign cyst. Still here, *sigh.* (Which is scary because writing the Great American Novel doesn't necessarily provide any special protection.)

I've learned a lot more from things I don't consider my "job." For instance, the first time anyone was critical of my photography, I decided, that's it, writing is going to be my job, and photography is only a hobby. After that I never pressured myself again about photography, had a really good time with it, if I screwed up and ruined a whole roll of film just walk away from it, and learned as much or more from my failures as my triumphs. My friends love my work, it makes me very popular and gets me invited places.

Last year (after years of people wondering when I'd get a video camera) I added that. I am currently going through the editing project FROM HELL http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=041894;p=0&r=nfx and learning greatly from it. A number of people have suggested I drop more cash ($300-$1,200) on a decent editing program, which I refuse to do, as I've shelled out what looks to me like megabucks on what I consider "just a hobby." As someone pointed out, I have all this high tech equipment with the Mickey Mouse editing program which came with my computer when it was made several years ago. Later I will upgrade to a point, but not now as I'm nearly done editing (really, I am) and don't want to risk screwing anything up!

One of the things that worried me is I would have this great vision for a finished product, which something, not necessarily my own fault, would delay. (So far, true in this case. The latest glitch is some bug in the program. I followed instructions and it took me the longest to even figure out what it did and that it can't be undone.) Then people would get all antsy and collectively put the royal screws on me to just throw together a substandard product. Then people would think the resultant substandard product was what took me so long to do, and how could I be such an idiot as to take so long doing a thing like that? You can imagine how upsetting this would be when applied to books WHICH WILL HAVE MY NAME ON THEM IN PRINT FOREVER and be my legacy to this world when I am no more.

Well, from this woman going all psycho on me, I've learned I can stick to a project even under outside pressure, and that outside pressure is not as bad as it appears. Quite the opposite of joining her, my real friends are laughing at her for being like that! I've learned patience and perserverance in less than ideal circumstances. I mean, think, if I'd just bought the good editing program in the first place I probably could have thrown something together really fast and then felt pressured to always be quick and perfect, whereas now I've learned to see through things important to me despite obstacles. I struggled over this seemingly incurable glitch for several days, losing sleep over it, but found a way around it so I can continue with the project. So think how well I can do with a good editing program!

Now, if I can apply this to my writing, when I get stuck I can work around it. The main obstacles occur NOT on character, plot, or research (bad as all those are) but on this feeling that, gee, when it's finished this book may not be the best thing written by anyone yet on this planet, so why write it? So I don't! Which I am finding out now I SHOULD ANYWAY! On the editing job, I don't want to lose everything I've already put in. The same should be true of a novel, once I reach a certain point with it.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

My success writing has way too much to do with my continued existence on this planet for me to be objective about it, so I tend to panic at any setback the way one might over a major health crisis.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could get off this planet by giving up writing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I may be a writer, but I'm not insane.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Uh...you *want* off the planet?
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I seemingly only have one main idea, but many hundreds of ideas for the same world. Is that considered changing from story to story?

Well to me it is, as I write something for one time period, then I make up some history to why the war happened, then I think of the war, and nothing but the war, and I write furiously about the war, neglecting the story I had just started.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice planet, but come on...is there anyone here who wouldn't give up writing to get off this planet? Okay, so there's a few of you.

I'm not desperate to leave or anything. I mean, there's times of most days when I'm not desperate to leave...which could include any particular moment in which you happen to be reading this post. It doesn't include the moment in which I'm writing the post, because when I wrote "desperate" I suddenly felt the desperation that I usually try to suppress.

Really, I don't hate it here, I just really would like to be able to take a break now and then. Just for, you know...I'd come back, of course. Eventually.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Well, okay, I was just making sure you weren't desperate or anything.

My way of looking at it is this: I don't necessarily not want to leave because I enjoy my life so much. (Come on! I'm not insane either.) I want to stay because as a rationale for my joke of an existence I've created this construct that I have Very Great Work to finish and I can't leave until my writing is done. Now, if I can't do it, or I do it and it's not a success even after my death, and I'm going to die a nobody anyway and remain a nobody after death, I'd just as soon go now when I'm relatively young, healthy, and happy, as later when I'm old, strung-out, and miserable. I hope it won't come to that...I just acknowledge right now that the prospect doesn't look all that good.

A couple years ago I thought I'd be killed off if I didn't deliver the goods in a set time. Now that I'm past 40, I'm not sure if that idea was wrong, or the time was just set a little later than I'd figured. Haven't entirely abandoned the notion that if I do deliver the goods I won't have to find out--just one reason I'm very anxious regarding my writing!

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
The planet is wonderful. I wish some of the renters could be evicted though.

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited April 11, 2006).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't want to evict anyone that actually pays their rent. Heck, I don't want to evict anyone that acknowledges that they should pay rent.

Okay, and I don't want to actually evict any of those who aren't paying rent and don't acknowledge that they should. Eviction is such a civil way to deal with such people. I'm thinking more along the lines of lingering death by maggot infestation.

dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
"As a result I've amassed a pile of book fragments, only a few finished books, and only one published."

Oh yeah, I live in that zip code. Lots of fragments - some even good fragments - in the drawer. However, none of mine have grown to published noveldom, so you're well ahead of me on the race to avoid ADD paralysis.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

I've attained caution and like to know where I'm going. I've tried writing in a mad dash and ended up with over 200 pages and very little in the way of plot.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.