Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fantasy Novelist's Exam (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fantasy Novelist's Exam
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, today I'm not in so jovial a mood. Okay, really it's just right now, pekko pekko
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to make your story a knock-off of LOTR if you haven't actually read Lord of the Rings?

I've read purported Tolkien knock-offs, though.

I wonder, is a knock-off of a knock-off a double negative, or just really, really sad?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 

. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .

just sad

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kherezae
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for Kherezae   Email Kherezae         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom actually has no sense of humor, and my dad actually has no sense ;]

So, has anyone read George R.R. Martin? I think even someone sick of fantasy would enjoy him.

I looked over that list during NaNoWriMo, haha. I have all nos so far, but that's mainly because I'm still planning x_x; I need to get on with the writing already.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
cvgurau: Depends on whether you've seen the movies or not. In any event, just because you haven't read LotR, doesn't mean people can't call your work a rip-off.

Kherezae: Martin is the best contemporary fantasy author around, in my opnion. His books are fantastic, though very huge! I'm just glad he hasn't pulled a Robert Jordan with the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. In fact, my desktop wallpapwer in from amoka.net, and has John Snow and Ghost standing on the Wall.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kherezae
Member # 2855

- posted      Profile for Kherezae   Email Kherezae         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, another GRRM fan =] I've been to amoka.net, and the artwork is pretty amazing.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If you've actually read The Lord of the Rings, then you are fairly well defended against any danger of writing a LOTR "knock-off" as they are usually defined.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked! Harry Potter violates 1,4,6 and often 8 right off the bat.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Shocked? I'm shocked that the darn things are so popular if it's so bad to write that way. But then again, what does the general public know?
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...seems the only question I violate is the following:

"How about one [artifact] that will destroy it [the world]?"

But I cannot answer a definitive "yes", either. The story doesn't fit that mold exactly, though it comes close enough that I think I would risk violating that rule.

Otherwise, not too bad. Maybe there's hope for me after all. (If, of course, I ever actually FINISH this thing).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Appropos of this thread...over at Locus Online, they posted a link to Jeff VanderMeer's "Exhaustive Essential Fantasy Reading List," with a short list of an essential sixty followed by a longer list in alphabetical order. I apologize in advance for not contributing a link here...it's beyond my simple abilities, at least on this website.

None of which appear to be written by anybody named J. R. R. Tolkien...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried to write a story where all the answers are "NO!"

Do you think anyone will buy it?

I wrote a novel that was supposed to look like many of the answeres were yes but were really no. DAW sat on it for 9 years and sent back a 1 page rejection letter.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
This one?

http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2006/04/exhaustive-essential-fantasy-reading.html

You need only to copy/past the link into the Reply area and the forum software does the rest.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...
I've not even read ONE of those books listed 1-60... I guess I'm not cut out to be a fantasy writer after all...

:-(

pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

whatever

-leaf

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
None of which appear to be written by anybody named J. R. R. Tolkien...

I'd like to point out that the author was immediately asked (paraphrased): How can you not consider Tolkien essential reading?... and the reply was: I assumed everyone has already read Tolkien. Of course he should be on the list.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I've read a number of books on that list. Those ones probably belong on the list...but I think that I tried to read some of the others mentioned and gave up on them.

That, for me, renders the list pointless. I don't care what he failed to put on there as "essential reading", if he puts something on the list which I simply couldn't enjoy, it discredits the list entirely.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
First off: Thanks, Jammrock, for posting a proper link. I tend to worry about my skills in such things...besides, I also worry about where the link might lead, and what it might bring to somebody who linked on it. (I still haven't figured out how to do some of the tricks I see others do on this site...)

Leaf II: I think I'd read six of the One-Through-Sixty list. But I don't consider myself ill-informed.

Elan: I imagine there are still some fantasy-oriented readers who never read Tolkien. I first read "The Hobbit," then "The Lord of the Rings," when I was fifteen or sixteen---but I'd had plenty of opportunity to do so before that and passed on it. All I can offer for an excuse is that, in those days, the Ballantine paperback covers were just plain awful and utterly unappealing to the beginning reader that I was. (I picked up a (hardcover) copy of "The Hobbit" at a school book sale, on the grounds that I felt I had to buy *something* and that was the closest thing to science fiction that was for sale...but once I read "The Hobbit" I just had to read "The Lord of the Rings.")

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
...I've never read Tolkien. Yet I write fantasy... and as R.N. said.. I'm pretty informed of the genre as well.

Is that bad? Have I commited some cardinal sin?

10 hail mary's and... something something..

Well.. RELAX everyone...

I've seen the movies.

-leaf

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have six 'books' in various stages.
Here are my results:

Story- Legion of Dead. Yes the MC is heir to the throne and doesn't know it, but the throne does not exactly exist yet and even if it did the man lives in a cave for most of his life. A very nice cave with many dead servants.

Story- Change of World. There are 5 MC's, each one is "coming of age", each one is gaining "great power" because everyone who survives does and together they defeat the supreme badguy. That is kind of the idea behind the plot. As I understand it 'tropes are not bad, it is all in how they are handled.

Story- The Ordained. It is a story that looks at the question, "How does anyone know that this one item will destroy the bad guy if this has never happened before?". So yes, there is a magic widget that "saves the world".

Story- The Ordained. See above. In this case the prophecy is not a mysterious knowing of the future, but a way to manipulate the people involved like pawns in a very long game.

Story- Change of World. One of the characters wants to be an FBI agent and has more skill with a gun than a curling iron.

Story- The Ordained. The main character's name takes part of the mother's and part of the father's name. Hyphen was required to make that work.

Story- Emily. She travels through the entire book doing what the Gods tell her until she finally tells them to leave her alone.
Story- Change of World. The characters go from America to Europe to track down the "supreme evil character".
Story- Not King. The main character travels with militia and by the end of the book ends up leaving the kingdom. Really it only kind of applies. It depends on how you define "inordinate".

Story- The Ordained. The beings that are manipulating people could tell them that it is all part of a very long game, but that would be cheating.
Story- Change of World. One of the group is actually on the side of the "supreme evil". Telling would be counter-productive.

Story- The Ordained. (Hitting often, eh?) If by number they mean two or more, then this one counts. There are three races, The game players and two sets of pawns.

So, of the six stories I ran through this exam Seth and Not King did not get a single yes, though Seth had one "Kind of" and Not King had five "Kind of's". Emily scored only one yes and Legion of Dead got one yes and five "Kind of's". Change of World had three marked yes and three marked "Kind of" while The Ordained (which is supposed to have cliches) got five in the yes category and another five in the "Kind of" section.

This was fun!

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 

I read LOTR as a kid. To be honest, I wasn't impressed. I thought it pretentious.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited April 27, 2006).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, it wasn't really written for kids.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working my way through LOTR right now. It takes some dedication (he gets a little long-winded, sometimes), but all in all, it's a good read. Makes me wish I'd read them sooner, when I didn't have a dozen library books on the To Read list.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deRost
Member # 3089

- posted      Profile for deRost   Email deRost         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does your main villain punish insignificant mistakes with death?" - Well, that's what makes him the villian! Well, that and he's trying to take control of the government....

"Do inns in your book exist solely so your main characters can have brawls?" - Would you rather they brawl in the church?

"Does anybody in your novel ever stab anybody with a scimitar?" - Of course!! There is no better stabbing weapon out there! A poniard? A dirk? Bah! Give me a curved blade wider than my hand, any day!

"Is your story about a crack team of warriors that take along a bard who is useless in a fight, though he plays a mean lute?" - Well, my main character had his iPod broken when he was ambushed by a band or goblins. Can't smash things without music, you know.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Now that you mention it, a brawl in a church sounds like a totally cool idea.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.