Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Another 1st Person past narrative

Author Topic: Another 1st Person past narrative
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to my high pain load and narcotic use this past weekend, my brother persuaded me to read Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz, which is presented as an autobiographical account. Which causes me to wonder again if I really need to rewrite my book. It also gave me a strong sense that if I would just put the work in to finish my book, it is easily publishable.

I don't know, I guess there is a difference between actual fictional autobiography, which DK's book would be, and ficitonalized autobiography. So if I were to depict the character representing my mother in law as saying something she never said there is more potential for misunderstanding if I am going for the more direct 1st person. But if I represent her in 3rd person, it's a little more obvious that I'm making stuff up.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...isn't that the point?

I like the story about how they were wondering about what kind of pain-killers to give you and then when the X-rays came back they were just like "Okay, morphine. Lots and lots of morphine".

Or more like...that's not the kind of thing that you like doctors to say, but it's a good story. Like that "fortunately/unfortunately" story Onee-san made out of the incident.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.