Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » E-books--would you submit to an e-book publisher?

Author Topic: E-books--would you submit to an e-book publisher?
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering if any of you ever have submitted to an e-book publisher, if you ever would, and if you have, what was your experience? I'm thinking of submitting my novel to such a publisher and would like some feedback from those in the know.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to check out the thread about Christine's novel getting published.
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002923.html

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I just sold my novel to an e-book publisher, I can unhesitatingly say...maybe.

Twilight Times, the one that bought my novel, does both print AND e-books. The way the market is right now, I would not submit to a publisher that only does e-books. The truth is, I think e-book readers are just about to become friendly and convenient and not too far away from being affordable. Also, since you can buy an e-book for just a few dollars, I see e-books being a viable publishing technique in about a decade.

Right now, though, you need to get your book in print to get read. People will buy e-books, but I often hear that they only do this if there is also a print version available.

Also, check out "Predtors and Editors" for ideas on who is going to screw you over.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

quote:
Since I just sold my novel to an e-book publisher, I can unhesitatingly say...maybe.

Twilight Times, the one that bought my novel, does both print AND e-books. The way the market is right now, I would not submit to a publisher that only does e-books. The truth is, I think e-book readers are just about to become friendly and convenient and not too far away from being affordable. Also, since you can buy an e-book for just a few dollars, I see e-books being a viable publishing technique in about a decade.

Right now, though, you need to get your book in print to get read. People will buy e-books, but I often hear that they only do this if there is also a print version available.

Also, check out "Predtors and Editors" for ideas on who is going to screw you over.

Thanks Christine. Does is TT a POD publisher? And if you don't mind my asking, what kind of marketing are you doing?

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that the only way that other people will see you as truly published is if you didn't have to pay anything out of pocket yourself. Many of the PoD Ebook companies offer services rather than publication. Be wary.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

POD? Good lord no!

I say it that way because, IMHO, print on demand is not right for writers who truly want to be read. There is limited use for this if you've got a small audience in mind (say butterfly collectors), but on the whole DO NOT GO POD. This does not tend to "count" for being published. Also, POD books are EXPENSIVE. (And I really do mean that in all caps). Due to this, you simply aren't going to get anyone to buy them. I'm afraid I'm not going to spend forty or fifty dollars on a book, even if the person is a friend of mine.

Also, a lot of POD stuff is self-publishing. This means you pay...and the rule of thumb is that the money flows towards the author. If you have to pay for anything, then run away...quickly!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a matter of "people" seeing you as "published".

It's a matter of having someone who'll actually market your book. POD publishers get paid for every copy they print. Conventional publishers get paid for every book they sell. POD services are employed by you to print your book, conventional publishers employ you to write a book they can sell.

This is why anyone can get anything printed using POD. A book publisher, on the other hand, will only accept material they believe can be sold profitably. And having bought it, they will work to sell it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Smaug -- I just saw that you asked about marketing. I'm not going to answer here, though. I'll try to get a preliminary answer to that question in my novel thread (where I plan to keep updating everyone on the process). As time goes on, I'll get far more specific.
Smaug
Member # 2807

Well, I do agree that POD is not the best of ways to go, especially considering the expense. However, there should be a venue for someone who just can't find the right editor at the right moment. I guess my point is, if you believe in your book, but can't find an editor to accept it, or it can't get past the slush pile, what recourse is there other than self-publishing or POD? There are some great books out there that began in one of those kinds of distribution and ended up being picked up by a major publishing house--not the least of which is The Christmas Box. I've actually thought about self-publishing a lengthy cowboy poem I've written, along with some illustrations, and trying to market the heck out of it on my own and just see what happens.

Then again, for my novel, it's just kind of sitting there, even though one editor I know suggested I send it to Double Dragon Publishing---which is recommended in Preditors and Editors, but publishes e-books and POD---so I haven't sent it there because of my concerns about POD--and I know your thoughts on that!

Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
However, there should be a venue for someone who just can't find the right editor at the right moment. I guess my point is, if you believe in your book, but can't find an editor to accept it, or it can't get past the slush pile, what recourse is there other than self-publishing or POD?

I'd say your best recourse is to write another bbook. If that sells, you have a much better chance of finding someone to take a look at the first one. If the second book doesn't sell, write a third. Did you think Stephen King got his first book published? In fact, most people write several books before they find one that can get published.

I agree with you in spirit on the rest, but the reality gets in the way. You see, YOU can believe in the book all you want but how do you sell it? Bookstores only buy through distributors and individuals can't sell to them. Do you have some means of getting your book to the public without going through a bookstore? Is your book even on amazon.com?

Some people think the internet will be the next great way for people to get their books out there without going through editors who quash their creative spirit (in the words of disgruntled artists ). Let's assume that people do start buying e-books (which, for various reasons, I think they might in the next few years). How do they know to buy *your* e-book?

There is true power in someone who has had success selling books saying, "This is a good book." There is no power at all in a writer saying of his own work, "This is a good book." Same words, possibly even the same enthusiasm, but totally different power. Credibility is essential.

I don't really want to discourage you by saying this. I really, really, really don't. I hope you do find success, but if you're really serious about becoming a writer I have to tell you this: It takes YEARS. Years and years and years and years and years. You have to get rejections from dozens of agents and publishers and you may not be able to sell you first book.

Keep in mind that it takes months for a query to be read, then as long as a year for the whole novel to be read once they ask for it, and there is no simultaneous submission to publishers. Agents, yes, but not publishers.

I have some questions for you now. How many books have you written? How long have you spent on trying to get them published? What steps have you taken?

Survivor
Member # 213

This is one reason that "reputable" publishers don't do more with POD.

There isn't any problem with POD other than that people trying to get "published" tend to mistake it for things it is not. A POD service is just the printer of the book (not all publishers even maintain in-house printing capabilities, so that's one good reason not to offer POD services right there). They aren't publishing your book. You are.

The great appeal of POD to the writer looking for fast publication is also the great bane of POD books. There is no editor. Anyone can publish a POD book. The only way I can have any confidence that the book is worth anything is to read the entire thing, I have no guarantee that anyone else has done so in the process of getting it to press.

If I already know and trust the author of the book to write well, then I'll trust it to be good. But otherwise...no.

So most reputable publishers don't want to risk associating themselves in any way with POD services, because both writers (the life-blood of publishers) and readers (the...um food, as it were) will be wary of the POD label.

One thing I'll note. A lot of successful webcomics end up releasing a POD book sometime in their development. Not all do, but enough to be worth mentioning. In this case, most of them are already publishing their material electronically. The POD books are merchandise just like the t-shirts and coffee mugs (or, you know, whatever). They may (okay, almost always do) contain original material not published already, they may be only tangentially associated with the webcomic's story and characters (if any), they may be text rather than graphic narrative in content. What they all have in common is that they are published by a person with a great deal of existing success in connecting to the potential market.

It's not an invalid model at all. But it has nothing to do with the question.

quote:
I guess my point is, if you believe in your book, but can't find an editor to accept it, or it can't get past the slush pile, what recourse is there other than self-publishing or POD?

My answer to that is simple. Improve your writing. I know that I'm often neglectful of the whole submission game. But submitting manuscripts isn't the heart of becoming a great writer. Learning your craft, sticking with it, finding something to say, these are all much more important in the end.

Will you get published eventually? Maybe. But we could all get fame and fortune more easily by other means. We write because we're writers.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor said: "A POD service is just the printer of the book (not all publishers even maintain in-house printing capabilities, so that's one good reason not to offer POD services right there)."

This statement could not be more true. POD folks offer a LOT of benefits as a result of setting up your titles with them...benefits that are GREAT for us Small Press Publishers (like not having to set a print run and pay all at once...being able to keep the titles in print and 24-hour availablity on Amazon...being on Amazon PERIOD...)

Please do not confuse "Vanity Publishing" and "Small Press Publishers who use POD technilogy to print their books." If the publisher is paying YOU to print your book, it's [usually] more legit than YOU paying to print your book.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
smaug, The Christmas Box and a very very short list of other self-pubbed titles have in fact done well, but they are the exceptions, not the norm.

Here's an article on self-publishing that has some interesting numbers.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,923-2073717,00.html

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

quote:
'd say your best recourse is to write another bbook. If that sells, you have a much better chance of finding someone to take a look at the first one. If the second book doesn't sell, write a third. Did you think Stephen King got his first book published? In fact, most people write several books before they find one that can get published.

I agree with you in spirit on the rest, but the reality gets in the way. You see, YOU can believe in the book all you want but how do you sell it? Bookstores only buy through distributors and individuals can't sell to them. Do you have some means of getting your book to the public without going through a bookstore? Is your book even on amazon.com?

Some people think the internet will be the next great way for people to get their books out there without going through editors who quash their creative spirit (in the words of disgruntled artists ). Let's assume that people do start buying e-books (which, for various reasons, I think they might in the next few years). How do they know to buy *your* e-book?

There is true power in someone who has had success selling books saying, "This is a good book." There is no power at all in a writer saying of his own work, "This is a good book." Same words, possibly even the same enthusiasm, but totally different power. Credibility is essential.

I don't really want to discourage you by saying this. I really, really, really don't. I hope you do find success, but if you're really serious about becoming a writer I have to tell you this: It takes YEARS. Years and years and years and years and years. You have to get rejections from dozens of agents and publishers and you may not be able to sell you first book.

Keep in mind that it takes months for a query to be read, then as long as a year for the whole novel to be read once they ask for it, and there is no simultaneous submission to publishers. Agents, yes, but not publishers.

I have some questions for you now. How many books have you written? How long have you spent on trying to get them published? What steps have you taken?

In answer to the last questions, I've only written one complete novel, and a bunch of short stories, articles, etc. I've tried going to writer's conferences, speaking personally with an agent who liked the synopsis, and first three, but after I subbed it to him via mail, he turned it down with a "I don't want to go into the details as to why" kind of comment. I had a similar experience with an editor at a conference who told me to sub it to him because he liked it. He said that he didn't represent fantasy/scifi, but he certainly knew someone who did at his office and he'd pass it along. I heard nothing back. I tried submitting it to Tor who says absolutely NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS. Iwaited over a year to get it back with no comment. I read all the guidelines for numerous other publishers, the majority of which either wanted over 80,000 words (mine is around 60K), or said "no unagented submissions". I don't really know who to sub it to anymore. I have two other novels in progress that will be better than this first one, once completed, but I think my first one isn't all that bad--I've certainly had my share of readers say that they liked it and have read much worse books that somehow got published.

You know I read once in Writer's Digest about a woman who went out and sold thousands of books that she'd self-published. She worked her butt off selling them any where she could, out of her car, at conferences etc. After she'd made the efforts to sell that many, and could prove it, she got a big-time contract with a big-time publisher who bought the rights to that book. Yeah, it doesn't happen very often and just maybe it's because not many have the drive to do the work to get their book sold.

I know I don't have that kind of drive--or maybe I do, but I have too many other priorities.

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited March 28, 2006).]

Beth
Member # 2192

Conventional wisdom says to not give up after 1 try at an agent. More like 100. Just sayin'.

If devoting all your time to selling copies out of your car sounds more appealing than going the conventional route, then maybe that's a path that could work for you.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Beth, sorry, I only mentioned that one agent incident, because that was the only one I met in person. I subbed it via mail to a bunch. Not 100 though. But I keep getting conflicting information. One writer I talk to will say "Don't send it to an agent until you have an editor interested." Another will say, "Ignore publishers who say 'won't except unagented submissions". Still others will say the opposite to those things. Whom to believe--you tell me.
Beth
Member # 2192

well, I can't think of any area of writing and publishing where you won't get conflicting advice, can you?

There are a lot of approaches. Research the merits of each, and decide what works for you.

Smaug
Member # 2807

Of course that's good advice--but I like to learn from others who have been there. If not, why do we even buy books on how to do things? We should all learn from the school of hard knocks instead of from our fellow writers? Another thing I've heard is that if you put out a first book that doesn't do well, you have a heckuva hard time selling the second one. That scares me. I keep thinking to myself that I've got to have a first book that will really knock the socks off of people in order to keep going in the business. I'm honest enough with myself to know that my first novel isn't that book, and since it's not, I'm probably better off tabling it for now.
Survivor
Member # 213

Have you tried writing short stories?

Okay, before we get into the "I'm not a short story writer" thing here, let's get one thing clear. I'm not suggesting writing short stories as an alternative to writing your novel. I'm suggesting it as an alternative to self publishing and then flogging your book on the street.

Short stories are a proven method to "break in" to recognized and respected print outlets. A few short story credits in the right places will do wonders for building a positive relationship with editors and agents. If you're considering doing all kinds of intensive self promotion that have nothing to do with writing, at least consider one very effective form of self promotion that is totally oriented towards your skills as a writer (even if it isn't exactly what you'd prefer).

Smaug
Member # 2807

Hi Survivor--yes, I write a lot of short stories, I just haven't been subbing them. I need to, and that's a great idea of getting folks familiar with my name by getting some short stories published. To tell you the truth, my family members, who can be brutal and honest when need be, have told me that they think I'm more cut out as a short story writer anyway. I tend to disagree with them--and I also have a "I'll prove you wrong one day" attitude. But I think all of us writers who want to succeed have to have that.
Po
Member # 3336

- posted      Profile for Po           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new here and I was going to wait to post anything until I'd trawled around a bit, but this thread was just too interesting to resist.

I'm a fairly competent writer who just cannot seem to get anyone in publishing to read my writing...unless it is a short story!

I was incredibly lucky to strike gold the first time I submitted a story to a publisher. It was picked up immediately and they have since put offers on two others, with a blanket request for first dibs on any new shorts I'd like to submit. They are both a traditional and e-publisher, but they only publish shorts in e-format, which can be a bit disheartening. What's worse is that aside from initial enthusiasm from the editor, I cannot seem to convince them that they should give my book a chance!

All that just to say that it is terribly difficult to get anything full-length looked at, nevermind accepted, at this point in time unless it is spot-on exactly what they want. It is a finicky business.

I actually feel fortunate to have my foot wedged in the door, even if I can't force it open all the way yet. Given patience, I may make a name for myself before I expire.

[This message has been edited by Po (edited April 03, 2006).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You should think carefully about exactly what you're getting in return for giving them first dibs on your stories. Are you giving up chances to submit to more visible and higher paying markets because your best stories are going to this one market? What are they giving you to compensate for that?

Unless you have a contractual obligation to give them first option on all your stories (and I can't imagine how a situation like that could happen with a legitimate publisher), you do have the option of submitting elsewhere. Let your highest aspirations guide your submission process, don't sell yourself short.

But don't push yourself either. Becoming a writer is a life-long process, and it's not all about making a name for yourself.

Po
Member # 3336

Ahh, Survivor, please don't assume I am so naive that I would actually agree to any all-encompassing offers. As a businessperson, I know well enough what a trap that could be. It is still pleasing and quite ego-stroking to recieve a request like that.

I am not afflicted with tunnel-vision. Because they like my writing enough to ask for more doesn't mean I think they are the only ones willing to publish me. I am, however, more than willing to deal with people (and yes they are legitimate) who respond in a positive manner within a reasonable timeframe.

I agree that it takes a lifetime to even approach mastering the writing process. After twenty years of laboring toward that goal, I have decided to approach the publishing field. Is it such a bad thing that I want to make a name for myself? I cannot be one of those who refuse the existence of audience. I am not so literarily noble that I don't want fame and fortune. Or at least recognition. I *must* be read, eventually.

To quote:

Are you giving up chances to submit to more visible and higher paying markets because your best stories are going to this one market?

Honestly, no. My best stories haven't been written yet, and I fully intend that my 'best' will improve until the day I am scattered over the Atlantic.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Po
Member # 3336

Of course now, after reviewing my post, I feel like a jackass. I apologize for coming across so smarmy and egotistical.
Survivor
Member # 213

I'd hate to see you when you're being altruistic, then

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.