Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » sylvia plath-the bell jar

Author Topic: sylvia plath-the bell jar
chemo_man
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for chemo_man   Email chemo_man         Edit/Delete Post 
hello. for my english class, i have been assigned to read sylvia plaths-The Bell Jar, and then write a literary criticism paper on it. i was just wondering, as i have never read the book before, what approach would be the best to take when reading, things to look for. thanks. ialso posted this question on the published books section, but no one has replied, and it has been a week.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
We keep getting questions from you on how to do your homework. Isn't that what your college professors are getting paid for??
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chemo_man
Member # 3150

lol, i do ask him, but he said that it is up to us to figure it out. sorry if you guys don't like questions on homework. don't worry, next month, i will be done with the class and can can back to writing for pleasure again.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chemo_man
Member # 3150

i ask the same questions i post here to my professor, the writing center, and several english majors i know, i am just trying to cover all of my bases here. besides, the best advice i have gotten on my papers have come from members of hatrack!
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Oh! I know the answers to these...

quote:
what approach would be the best to take when reading

Have plenty of light, sit (or lay), open book.

quote:
things to look for

Words on the page, generally speaking. See above comment about light.

Too easy.

Seriously: read it and find out what it means to you. If while you're reading it and you'd like to discuss what something might mean, then by all means ask away then.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Chemo, I say this with the gentlest intentions in the world: Some things you've just got to do yourself.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing some reading up on Sylvia myself. I suggest you cruise though this site http://www.sylviaplath.de/ read some of her other works as well. I had to do a paper on her in collage and now wish I had taken the time to learn more about her life and other works rather than focusing on just The Bell Jar. It may not be what you want to hear, but widen your knowledge of the writer beyond what you gave learned in class and the book will be more interesting.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 31, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite literary analysis work is the stuff where you go through and demonstrate that the piece in question contradicts Biblical teachings on a number of points. You should do that! I remember lots of unbiblical behavior in "The Bell Jar."
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that coming at a work of literature from the perspective of the author's life is always a little bit dangerous. Every author I know to have spoken on the subject agrees that such treatments are amusing at best.

Even when, or perhaps especially when, the work in question is substantially autobiographical, it's a dangerous game to illuminate the text with the author's biography. Plath was a writer, and she cast her novel as fiction for reasons other than an attempt to hide her identity. It is probably best to take it as it is.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that she was suicidal at the time, and that tends to skewer one's perspective...
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best approach would be to take a copy of the book, skim through the first few pages where all the copyright info and such is, skim over whatever literary intro there is (I don't know what's currently with the current edition), and when you reach page one of what Plath herself wrote, start reading more seriously. Then don't stop until you reach the end. Then write down what you think of it.

Me? Never read it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
It would probably help to read it twice.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited April 01, 2006).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps...for school assignments such as this, I generally read through just once and relied on a then-reliable short-term memory. (I read the whole of "Anna Karenina" the day before we were to discuss it in class. I did all right, but right now, thirty years later (my God! that long?) I only remember two specific incidents from the narrative.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Look up all the stuff on wikipedia you can find, then go and replace it all with spurious content so that none of your classmates will be successful. Oh, unless one of them did that first.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chemo_man
Member # 3150

I would like to thank all of ya'll who gave tips on this paper, i used a few, and ended up getting an A. oh, and J, i wasn't asking for anybody to tell me how to write it, or write it for me, i was merely asking for tips on how to approach the book, and help findind a subject, that is all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.