Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Big decision, need advice(about submitting)

Author Topic: Big decision, need advice(about submitting)
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I sent a few query letters this time and I actually got two requests for the manuscript. I don't know what to do. I was trying to find something online to tell me how to handle multiple submissions and it *seems* to be as simple as stating that the manuscript has been sent elsewhere, not to hurry the publisher up, but as a courtesy and to save someone (me) from getting sued in case both of them want to purchase it.

But, I am afraid that if I don't send to both, time will pass and one publisher might not be interested three months from now.

I know, I'm rambling, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Which response did you receive first? All other criteria being equal, go that route. Is there something about one publisher you would prefer to deal with over the other?

If you received both responses the same day, what are the dates when the responses were written?

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Wow. Time to drop back ten and punt. Not a good idea to do this kind of thing - as you found out.

Look. if they want it now, there is no reason they will not want it three months from now. You could put one of them off for awhile - tell em you're having to do some revision - whatever - just to buy some time. Send it first to the one who will keep it the shortest time if possible.

Say nothing, send to one and then the other when you get it back.
Most of these editors operate at snail speed anyway.

If you like adventure, you could send it to both of them. Actually the chance that BOTH of them will want it should be something like the odds of being hit by a meteor. In the event both are wanted, I think you could withdraw one.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When the first one writes back asking to see the whole thing, wait for another week or two before sending it. If they phone, then they're eager -- so you send it. Otherwise, you wait to see if another publisher that you prefer asks to see it. Because when you send the complete manuscript, you send it to only one publisher at a time. Period. You never violate this rule without informing both publishers, and you can only do that when you're an established author and your agent is preparing for an auction.

EDIT:
http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1999-01-29.shtml

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited April 03, 2006).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Thank you. I had definite reservations.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you send the complete manuscript to both publishers at the same time. I'm actually surprised you found two publishers who would let you simultaneously submit queries. What OSC says aside (and he's been out of the beginning game for a while), the publisher's guidelines all say to submit queries one at a time. I found this to be very frustrating since they all wanted six months to a year with that query package.

In any case, you're past that point and congratulations on getting a couple of bites. Now, if it were me, I'd find out the followin:

1. Which publisher would you prefer to have your book?
2. Whiat are the typical response times for each publisher?
3. Which seems more eager? (IE which do you think you have a better chance with?)

Pick one. Send it off. If one can get back to you in two weeks to a month, pick that one. Don't say anything at all to the other, just send yours along when the first one rejects it (assuming they do).

If too much time goes by you're going to have to own up. As to finding some excuse (lying) here's what my mother would have said: "Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we set out to deceive."

Try not to say anything and then say the truth.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya.

Excuse me for being ignorant - but how would either publisher ever know that they have been submitted to simultaneously?

Thanks.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
a) it is a very very small world and editors talk to each other;
b) if a) doesn't happen, they'd find out super-fast if they both accepted.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I didn't send it to the second one. I'm waiting to find out from the first one who seemed very interested in it. I hope I don't disappoint.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.