Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best Writing Compliment (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Writing Compliment
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say...
"Advanced plot, great character building." "This took me half an hour to read. It was really great!" --both from my gr. 8 LA teacher
Not a compliment, but my class was wowed by the same story I submitted to the gr. 8 LA teacher above.
Those are the best ones from people not close to me, 'cause theirs don't count. I don't think.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I applied to an accelerated 6 year undergrad/med school program just out of high school. The M.D. who read my admissions essay told me at my interview, "This is one of the most mature essays I've ever read." I took that as high praise, and fortunately I've become a writer instead of a doctor. Nobody's ever told me that my surgery skills were mature
Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Blinking at last comment.
wait, huh?

Sorry, maybe it's the percocet, but you applied to a med school analogue, were inspired to become a writer instead, and now no one compliments your surgery skills?

If you didn't go to med school, why are you performing surgery?
No wonder no one compliments your incisions; you're not supposed to be doing it, ya quack!

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited April 28, 2006).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

No one compliments my prescribing skills either, but I'd recommend you cut back on the dose of your percocet, pill-popper!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I got laid once because of a poem.

That was a pretty good compliment.

Oh, and the perc's are prescrip's for my wnd's (that last doesn't abbreviate well).

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited April 28, 2006).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been complimented on my surgical skills, but nobody's ever said they were "mature".
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhh...I've always been better at taking stuff apart than putting it back together. Guess that means no humanitarian awards for me...

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Po
Member # 3336

- posted      Profile for Po           Edit/Delete Post 
My high school English teacher told me he fully expected to find my novels on the bookstore shelves one day. I hope to prove him right.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I'd aim for at least a week.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 3385

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken   Email GodSpoken         Edit/Delete Post 
A highly critical friend I show fragments to (my fist test of chaff): You offend God when you refuse his pen. Write.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

My girlfriend says I offend God when I have too much Mexican food. But she also laughs at my stories, so I keep her around.
DomiParker
Member # 3390

- posted      Profile for DomiParker   Email DomiParker         Edit/Delete Post 
When I finished my first novella in 7th grade one of my close friends, who happened to be a sophmore in high school at the time, called me to ask me for a copy when he saw it in a writing magazine. That was probably the greatest compliment I've ever been payed, to have someone go out of their way to look up my number to congratulate me.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Chocolate
Member # 3301

- posted      Profile for Hot Chocolate   Email Hot Chocolate         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm.... A kid in my class tried to make me bring a story to school after reading an excerpt. I guess that's a compliment. :O
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an editor tell me at a conference that I had wonderful world building skills and my writing was very "vivid" (of course, he was sleep deprived). And he didn't sign me up for a contract, but it was nice chatting.

I also love hearing my dad laugh at all the right places in my stories. Then he talks about how great it was for like an hour. It may not get me a contract but I'll always hold that close to my heart.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.