Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Powwow

Author Topic: Powwow
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This relates to a book title.

What connotation does "powwow" have for you?

Exotic; down-home; or silly?

This is because someone was telling me that it felt like a silly word to him -- something cute you would say when you wanted to confer with someone. Not a connotation I want.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for a title, or some text in the book? The word 'powwow' does seem a little dated and juvinile, but then again if it is right for the character, it could be perfect. It all depends on context. For example, I could see it used by a younger and more naive individual, or from some smart a** kind of character as a snyde remark, but not from a character that is intelligent and mature, unless their making a joke and haver a tendancy to do such things through out a story. Just my opinion.

As part of a title, I would be ok with it no matter what. In fact, I think words like this draw interest in the story because everyone brings their own ideas into it.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
"powwow" to me immediately evokes a meeting between Indian chiefs. There's no connotation other than that. I don't think it sounds silly.

But keep in mind English is not my first language, and history tends to be my gut reaction in any case.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
A powwow is an Indian party. It brings up images of food and native dancing. I'm not aware that there's any other meaning or connotation...

just checked Merian-Webster. What I said pretty much sums it up. I don't know why it would sound juvenille or silly. I guess in elementary school we might have had a powwow when discusing Native Americans but that's still in line with the only definition I'm aware of.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
You people must never have read the Hardy Boys books... I think they were always having powwows; it was rather a convention among youth literature from that time period to use the term to refer to a get-together, usually for the purpose of planning or figuring something out.

If I used it today in conversation, it would be with a faintly joking, sarcastic sense (like I say a lot of things). But I wouldn't think anything odd about a character (especially if he's a character with a sense of humor that enjoys the slightly-out-of-place) using the term in conversation. And in a book title, I wouldn't have any particular expectations at all.

[This message has been edited by Minister (edited April 11, 2006).]

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm most familiar with the term as an indian gathering however have heard it used as a light hearted lets get together sort of thing as well. Indians came to my mind first when reading this post however I think what it boils down to is the context it's going to be used in. We don't have enough information to render a valid opinion, given the differing uses of the word.
Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Sounds like a mixed bag. The title was Big Powwow, and I think I'll change it to Great Powwow, since Big is a lighter word than Great.

Not sure. Generational, maybe? Regional? I don't want anyone to think I'm being cute; I intended only the "Indian gathering" meaning.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 3340

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden         Edit/Delete Post 
"Powwow" is not the most frequent term used to describe meetings, but I typically hear it a couple times a year. Usually, someone it is referring to an adhoc meeting or "fact finding session".

I imagine the extent to which "powwow" is going to deflect the needle on the sillyometer is going to be dependent upon the reader.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
the term itself is a little silly to me; the Hardy Boys and ironic usages have overshadowed the original indian chiefs meaning.

But if it becomes clear from the cover art, or the first few pages, that the older and more dignified meaning is the correct one, it's probably not going to be a problem.

It's my understanding that novel titles are often changed by the editors before publication - so I wouldn't get too attached to it, whatever you decide.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Powwow to me is a family meeting.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly it has adopted a meaning in the US that hasn't percolated to the rest of the world. I'm with Silver3; I immediately get the Native American/First Peoples/whatever context, and that's basically that.

If you want to get that impression but avoid powwow, I'm not sure what other words you could use. So I'd suck it up and reclaim the word for its proper meaning (I'm generally a fan of this, although some words have been devalued so much they're beyond hope).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think of Indians (the Native American kind) having some form of discussion. After checking the definition, it is more formal than I realized.

Would also likely depend on the context the word is used in.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds a bit silly, just because of the contrast it has to the consonant structure of most English words. Also, the specific meaning is very limited in general conversation, and the colloquial meaning is...pretty informal.

I don't have a problem with it in your book title, because the association there is sufficiently close to the specific meaning that we're mot inclined to take it seriously.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's two white guys saying "let's have a powwow." Then it is silly. If it is a meeting between the Shoshone and the Soux then it's not silly.
I've been to a powwow and it wasn't silly, but it was fun. If you ever get a chance to see a full hoop dance take it.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Powwow to me is very specifically a Native American event. I've attended more than one powwow. It's a gathering of the tribes, there is food, dancing, music, drumming, usually vendors selling handmade crafts. It's a celebration, and the ones I've been to have been very inclusive. It's a powerful spiritual experience, and I've had the privilege of watching dancers literally enter another "zone", which is a state called by some shamans "ecstatic dancing."

Native Americans are also pretty proprietary about their language being co-opted by whites for commercial purposes. If your story doesn't have anything at all to do with a proper powwow, I'd seriously consider looking for a different term. It's a matter of respect, IMHO.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Will -- there is nothing silly or ironic about the word Powwow.

And "Big Powwow" is a great title. There's just something about that title that feels *right*, *classic*, you know? It's like the melody of a perfectly-constructed song.

It's a tapped-into-the-zietgiest title.

If you change that to "Great Powwow" you're insane.

"Great Powwow" is a bland, boring title, because it plays to expectations people already have. ("Great". Vey.)

When I hear the title "Big Powwow" I think, that's a book I want to read. When I hear the title "Great Powwow" I think so what?

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
you are getting into the realm of regional nuances to words that may be emotionally laden in one location but not in another. This happens on hatrack occasionally.

Initially for me 'powwow' is a term for having an informal and probably low-key meeting. A sit-down talk with someone. I know where the word comes form, but powwow is used as a kind of 'cutesy' word for a meeting that is more than informal but less than formal/offical.

It CERTAINLY does not imply anything solemn.

A 'big powwow' compounds the silliness, as would 'heap-big powwow'

BUT: If 'big powwow' is not used as though it is silly, or applied to an indigenous culture that would not use that word, then it would be fine, barring Elan's concern. I once heard someone refer to Australian Aborigines having a 'powwow' -- that was just stupid.

I don't know how detailed a response you want but I will expand anyway: If I described a meeting that I attended as a 'powwow' it would mean a low-key informal discussion. If I used the word 'powwow' to describe a meeting that I had not attended, it would be meant as a vague put-down, as if those that did attend were taking themselves too seriously.

These are probably regionally specific takes on the word but hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited April 11, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of "powwow," I think of either the Native American get-together or a football huddle.

I'm not sure why I think of the latter, but I do.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up in southwest, powwow is a native american thing. Makes me think of fry bread and circle dances. Then I think about all the kiosks that were there last time I went. Which leads me to commercialization and selling out of society. So, like has been said before, people's thoughts are going to be regional.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think that I should mention that the "mot" was supposed to be "more" rather than "not" (or mot, which wouldn't make a lot of sense in that particular place).

Also, from what I know about the story, it concerns itself primarily with events that take place somewhere in North America prior to any extensive contact with European culture. So the term "powwow" would be considered in that context.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if the cover art (if any) were to depict "Native Americans", no doubt in an embarrassingly inaccurate and purile manner. I can't consider that a plus, but it's highly likely anyway.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my handy-dandy big-thick thirty-year-old Webster's dictionary, "powwow" comes from Algonquian, which, according to another entry, is a linguistic group extending from Labrador to the Rocky Mountatins. (I would think the term was first picked up in Virginia in the colonial period of the early 1600s, but cannot support that with info out of any book close to hand.) The definition reads: "n. [Algonquian] Among the N. American Indians, a priest or medicine man, or a ceremony, esp. one accompanied by magic, feasting, or dancing, performed for the cure of disease or for success in a hunt; a council or conference of or with Indians, colloq. any conference or meeting---v.i. To hold a powwow; colloq. to confer."

[Aside: all you would-be writers out there, and maybe some of you already-writers, should get big and thick dictionaries and use them. There are a lot of answers in there.]

The religious implications of "powwow" are unmistakable in this definition. But, nowadays, in Modern America, it's more of a term for a general discussion between two groups, any two groups, than one between Indians or between Indians and others.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the "an American Indian party" camp. Drums up images of war chiefs sitting in a tent, dancing around fires with drums and food, etc.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited April 12, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what powwow reminds me of: http://www.toontracker.com/powwow/powwow.htm

An old cartoon. Other than that, I'm familiar with the other definitions mentioned, specifically the meeting/gathering of Indian tribes--and the more colloquial "let's get together to hash things out" between various groups or individuals. Like others have said--it's silliness is based upon context.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, nowadays, in Modern America, it's more of a term for a general discussion between two groups, any two groups, than one between Indians or between Indians and others.

This is not a fact. This is a perception. My guess is that it is the regional perspective of someone who does not live close to (or associate with) the Native American population.

Out in the Old West where I live, within a couple of hours of a multitude of various Indian Nations (Yakama, Wisham, Warm Springs, Umatilla, Silez, Nez Perce, Klamath to name just a few), the word Powwow is rarely used in the manner you suggest. It is, as I said in my earlier post, used in OUR region as a reference to a specific type of Native American gathering. While the usage of the word Powwow to mean an informal meeting between two people or two groups is not startling or unheard of in this area, it's also not common.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 3340

I don't know Elan- the place where you live sounds pretty close to the place where I live... and I still hear the word "powwow" being used either way. However, you did put the qualifier "uncommon" and at that point I pretty much agree with you.

There is only one thing puzzling me.

You don't have to be a Frenchman to have a rendezvous.
You don't have to be German to yodel.
You don't have to be Filipino to live in the boondocks.

But you have to be Native American to have a powwow?

[This message has been edited by Snowden (edited April 12, 2006).]

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the meaning you use. If you are looking at the ceremony aspect with its religious connotations, then you are unlikely to have non-Native Americans around.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 3340

This is the point where I agree and disagree.

The word "powwow" is no longer a "Native American term". It is a term picked up by early English settlers that was applied as a blanket description to any "Indian gathering".

Each tribe has its own word for a sacred gathering. I grew up around the Navajo and Ute reservations. They only time they advertised "Navajo powwow" was when they were trying to pull in tourist dollars.

If they were performing a Blessing Way or a Night Chant- it was a ceremony referred to in their own language with their own words. And it wasn't performed by the Navajo- it was performed by the Dineh. It wasn't advertised and it wasn't called a powwow.

There is only one post here that has kind of gotten me to the point where I am like "Whoa- easy there."

>If it's two white guys saying "let's have a powwow." Then it is >silly. If it is a meeting between the Shoshone and the Soux then >it's not silly.

I mentioned before- I hear it said several times a year among "white people". "Let's have a powwow".

That may seem silly, but...to defend it with

>if it is a meeting between the Shoshone and the Soux then it's >not silly.

Well, most "ShoshonE" refer to themselves as "newe" and use the word "shosonI" to refer to "other native americans". Sioux (not Soux) is pretty much an artificial term used to describe several large groups of culturally similar people- their own word for their own selves is "Lakota".

What may be happening is a whole lot of people discussing whether or not a group of people would be offended if white people use a word we appropriated from people who vaguely look the same (but have a completely different culture and language) as the people Europeans borrowed the term from in the first place.

In short, it appears people are being offended and defensive FOR a group of people we are in no position of even remotely understanding- much less "sticking up for".

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
rest my case about regional/colloquial vs regional/specific equating to ambivalent vs emotive.

Powwow is a word that has been co-opted into wider English usage with a general meaning of 'a meeting where you hash things out.' But there still exists a specific meaning which in a sense 'belongs' to a group of people. The nuances of meaning that exist in the areas between the general and specific meanings will always be debatable.

On a practical note, the only time I would hesitate to use powwow is when you are referring to a meeting between indigenous peoples, especially Indigenous Americans. I know that's exactly the opposite of what has been suggested in some posts above. Snowden's response shows what can happen when you try to use such a word's specific meaning.

I got a fair grilling recently on a thread when I assumed someone was using a term in a specific way when they intended the term in a general sense.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited April 12, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
From The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins:

powwow. American Indians called the medicine man a powwow, ultimately from an Algonquian word meaning "dreamer". Early settlers used the word in the same way but were soon applying it to a ceremony or meeting where the medicine man performed his magic. It wasn't until the early 19th(italics added) century that powwow was extended to mean any meeting or conference at all.

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited April 12, 2006).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

This has been very informative. So many different perspectives!

I'll give mine, as though I hadn't started the thread. For me, a powwow is an Indian festival, with vendors and fry bread, centered around a dance competition.

I think it's not only regional but generational.

Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, on a healthy percentage of the message boards I frequent, I take the name Snowden. Even on the other side of Hatrack and on Ornery. Tanglier is a lark because I was writing a story about a man named Tanglier. I guess I've developed a proprietary interest in the Snowden appellation because when I saw someone else with it, I thought, "Who is you?"

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan is right about my definition. It's a perception. Maybe a judgment call, based on what use I personally see it put to---and I have certainly heard a group meeting referred to as a "powwow" on many occasions.

But that doesn't exclude the traditional use, at least in this case. Words do evolve in meaning, and what seems set in stone may actually be fluid. I figure the colonists learned the word in its original context of an Indian religious ceremony, applied it to meetings between colonists and Indians, and eventually to any meetings.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I defer to your greater knowledge Snowden, I was just making generalizations about the two definitions of the word. One is silly, (As had been agreed upon already) and the other is not. I wasn't trying to defend anyone against anyone.

But I have known a family that refered to themselves as Sioux.

(One last bit, if they call themselves newe, would they be offended if I called them that?)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.