Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Aspiring writer, will work for conflict

Author Topic: Aspiring writer, will work for conflict
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you find yours?

I can spin a good yarn, I'm usually quite clear and somewhat witty (at least half ), and my characterization ain't bad (but could use some work). The thing I struggle most with is finding a good conflict.

I've fingered at least two objectives:

1) It's got to make the reader wonder what he would do in that situation. That makes it interesting to me. Man vs. aliens or man vs. nature or man vs. man is cool and all, but I'd like to stir in some very personal and possibly angsty spice. I'd come up with an example, but then I wouldn't be starting this thread, would I?

2) It has to leave room for comedy.

So I have two questions. First, are my two objectives fundamentally incompatible?

Second, how do I meet them? I can easily identify whether a conflict does meet them, but finding it is difficult.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
*pounding head on desk* No your first two objectives are not incompatible, in fact the best writers do both. More later, time thieving.

Edit: time stealing references means I'm at work and ahead of schedule

For coming up with story ideas there are many methods. Try brainstorming, then come up with how seeming unrelated material fit together to make a story. Or try people watching, sit down at a restaurant (buffets are good choices) and listen in on conversation, pay attention to the children and take notes. WARNING: DON'T STARE. If you can find a cafe that has tables outdoors plop a notebook on the table and observe. Don't forget to ask the all important question, what if? What if that server was planning an alien invasion? What if the tofu is chemically altered to make people more docile? What if the waitress is a witch involved with a spell duel against a coven of satanists? See what I mean just start throwing terrible on paper or screen and see what you get. Then start your world building, rules of magic, etc.

[This message has been edited by wyrd1 (edited April 25, 2006).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two kinds of comedy. You can parse them out different ways, but basically I'd say it comes down to mockery and delight.

Mockery is an easy form of comedy, it merely requires that you not take the subject matter very seriously. I use it mostly as a way of punishing children for their misdeeds (yes, I know, I'm evil).

Delight is almost exactly the opposite, it is possible only when you not only take the subject seriously, but are inspired to love and affection.

Both forms can be combined in the same work, because almost all stories treat multiple subjects, some of which we find contemptable and others which we find compelling. In fact, the best mockery works by showing the contrast between the utter pointlessness of one thing compared (even implicitly) to something more worthy of attention. The same is probably true of the delightful, one of the joys of reading a really good story is that it is not about the wretched trivialities that waste so much of your time.

But the key is that some things inspire a bitter laugh and others a sweeter feeling. You don't want to try and get a laugh at the expense of something that is delightful, nor do you want to try and inspire joy in that which is a mockery. We can have a dark chuckle at the hero's failings, but generally we should feel more enjoyment of his virtues, whatever they may be. And vice versa for your villian or anti-hero.

As for where you find the conflict that drives your story...that has to come out of yourself. There are dualities in life, one phrase I liked recently "all lives eventually come to that fork in the road between redemption and...possibly not." That covers a lot of possiblities, though. And the possibilities it doesn't cover are also potential story fodder.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
How to expand conflict.

Every decision is a conflict, just find a way to make the decision harder. Add a counter-balance to the right decision - make it a double edged sword and the MC must weigh the choices.

Physical conflict, fighting, life or death, is an easy conflict. The only trick is making it hard to win to keep it interesting. Then there is the trick of finding a valid reason to include a fight to the death in a story.

Your character can be a source of conflict. They have a flaw that will inherintly get in the way of resolving some situation so put them into that situation.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.