Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » audio recording

Author Topic: audio recording
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
In my WIP, the main character is listening to an audio diary left by another character. I want the full transcript of this recording to go in the novel, but I'm wondering how to format it. Mostly, there is only one character talking during the recording, but that is not always true. Mostly, there are no other noises but I do have a couple I want to add to the transcript. Since this is a diary, I initially wrote it that way, but now I'm thinking it needs more. Any thoughts?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean using quotes in the text itself or are the diary entries separate from the narrative? Or is this part of the question you want answered?
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

At the moment, I have the recordings offset from the narrative using a hard line break.

Mostly, I want to know how to make the offset part look and feel like an adiot recording, complete with interruptions such as knocks on the door, moments of silence while the speaker collects his thoughts, etc.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm re-reading a book with a scene where a character is doing something similar, the difference being he was viewing a recording. Still, I think it may apply to your situation. It was handled with a sentence that said the recording began to play, a scene break, and then everything that happened in the recording was written as as normal dialogue and action *without* the listening/viewing character's thoughts in the way. Finally, a scene break took us back to the present, so to speak, with the character mulling over what he saw and heard very briefly. I think this format could work well for audio only. I don't even know if you need a scene break to pull it off effectively.

Of course, you could try for a transcript format, but that might be more than a little dry. Basically it's:

Speaker 1: I love dogs.

Speaker 2: Cats rock. Dogs are dumb.

A knock on the door.

Speaker 2: Get that, will you?

Speaker 1: Sure, dog-hater.

Anyway, since you're character is listening to a recording, then the transcript thing is probably not the way to go (I just wanted to see how it looked, actually...)

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

So then something like this:

Grace pressed play.

#

"I love dogs," speaker one said.

"Cats rock. Dogs are dumb," speaker two said.

There was the sound of a knock on the door.

"Get that, will you?" speaker two said.

"Sure, dog-hater."

#

Grace mulled over the import of that.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that _could_ work, and that's how it was handled in the book I'm reading now. Whether this is what your story needs is another question. To be honest, I don't really know, but I wouldn't be offended by seeing it handled that way, nor would I be offended if handled differently sans scene breaks. Your call...?
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want large sections of the diary in the story, then I think HSO's idea is great. I've also seen books that handle huge amounts of info from diaries with written entries by setting the story the diary tells in a story of its own with a POV transition and a hard line break just to make it absolutely clear. It's pretty mundane, but it's never distanced me as a reader.

For example:

Ginny dried her eyes and sat down with Grandma Sally's journal.

#

Sally stared at the lights all around her. She didn't know there was this much electricity in the whole world and here it was at Coney Island, lighting up the gleeful chaos around her. She leaned in toward her latest beau.

[continue story of Karen then...]

#

Ginny heard a noise and closed the journal.

Like I said, pretty mundane, but I've seen it and it's worked for me as a reader.

Forgot to add that I think it could be adapted rather easily for audio. I guess that goes without saying, but anyway...

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited April 26, 2006).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
A simple use of italicized text within a standard paragraph might work. Example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The record crackled as I set the turntable's badly worn needle on its grooved vynal surface.

"I love dogs," the first voice said.

"Cats rock. Dogs are dumb." another retorted, playfully. A knock sounded in the background with a muffled, scratchy thump.

"Get that, will you?" the second voice sighed.

"Sure, dog-hater." the first speaker shot back, his/her words drowned out by a grating hiss as the needle ran across a scar in the vynal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Or something like that. With this format, you wouldn't necessarily have to use a hard line break, though that'd be up to you. This format is a lot like the transmission/phone call setup I've seen in many genres.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited April 26, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
TOM: Honey, I mean, come on, give me a break.

JUDY: I ought to break your legs.

TOM: You're not breaking anybody's legs. Look at you. You're
in a wheelchair.

JUDY: And I have great upper body strength.

TOM: Honey, come on.

JUDY: Why'd you have to sleep with her?

TOM: It was nice to sleep with, I mean, somebody intact.

JUDY: You're a monster. Like Hitler or Stalin.

TOM: Did they have wives who were lousy in the sack too? I'm kidding. Honey, give me a break.

[sound of knocking]

TOM: That's her.

JUDY: How do you know who it is?

TOM: I invited her here.

JUDY: I ought to slice out your guts. Don't you dare let her in.

TOM: But, I mean, she's your sister.

[long silence]

TOM: She doesn't know you know.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

She smiled at him and broke his heart. He smiled back. That night he listened to her audio journal.

#

"It's.... What day is it? It's Tuesday. Dear Diary, I guess. It's Tuesday, April 25th and I'm, oh man, I'm all alone up here. Sometimes I get scared. Sometimes I think I hear people moving outside the cabin and I get scared, but I don't do anything. What could I do? I blow out the lamp and stay very still and hope it's not people, and if it is people, hope they ain't after me. It's probably just deer, or something. Maybe a fox. I don't know. But last night, I swear -- I swear I heard somebody talking. But it was just... I mean, if it was somebody talking, it sounded like he was talking to himself. I only heard one voice. Muffled. Couldn't make out the words. Freaks me out, let me change the subject for a minute. I'll come back to this.

"When I was a kid, I collected butterflies. My mom used to hassle me about this. One time she comes into my room and looks at all the butterflies I've got pinned to these boards.

"She goes, 'Sarah, can't you find something more productive to do with your time?'

"'Like what, mom, build a house?'

"'I worry about you, that's all.'

"'Worry about yourself.'"

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine--

Format it just like you did in your...um...third post. You can write the dialogue like spoken dialogue or in play format (like TL601's first post) -- that's up to you as the author.

Don't worry about italicizing...just make sure that the section that is the recording is completely underlined.

Anything beyond that, a publisher will take care of for you.

~Alethea

[This message has been edited by Thieftess (edited April 26, 2006).]

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

Christine, have you read Interview With The Vampire?
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just retain the POV of the character listening to the recording?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.