Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Outlining Program

Author Topic: Outlining Program
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
There was mentioned on this website an outlining program for writers. Thing is, this was a couple of years ago (or thereabouts), and I don't remember the name of the program, the topic of the thread, or the poster, so I have no way of finding it.

Can anyone help?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one called the "Writer's Dream Kit," which is the light version of Dramatica. I used it to outline my story called "Falcon's Book," which I am still working on, but it gave me plenty to think about.

I think it is very useful.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll search that up when I get home.

What I want, though, is a program that will locate and highlight all passive voice sentences and why they are that way. I need passive voice drilled out of my head. It keeps sneaking in to my writing.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck on that. Most writers can't reliably distinguish passive from past perfect usage. Isn't that your trouble? Just settle for a harsh critic with a good eye.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using MS Word, you can use a macro my husband wrote that will, among other things, highlight passive voice.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Power Writer is another outlining program that I've been looking at. But it sells for $100. Not sure if it's worth the cost. I downloaded the demo and looks very good. It provides outlining, word processing, and notekeeping in one program.

I hate M$ Word for large files, I make separate files for each chapter and then forget which scene is in which chapter/file and/or getting confused when I try to move fragments or scenes from one place to another. Apart from outlining, the wordprocessor part of Power Writer looks good for managing large files. Anyone use this? Power Writer does not offer assistance with active voice.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
yWriter seems to be pretty good, though I haven't used it extensively. Free. google for links.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.