Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Things about prepositions we can learn from….

Author Topic: Things about prepositions we can learn from….
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for the group. How strict are you when you write about not putting prepositions at the end of sentences? If I’m reading a sentence (like the subject of this post), or even hear one, and the preposition falls at the end of a sentence, it’s like chewing on aluminum foil. I find it’s becoming an issue with my latest project. The story is contemporary, but I want the characters (some not as educated as others) to sound authentic.

I asked a friend who I consider very English grammar savvy about this rule, and she considered it to be outdated and old fashioned. Am I being too sensitive? Just wondering….

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
When I write, I don't worry about it. When I polish I do.

Writing is far more simple than people make it out to be. Just write, sometimes its okay to break the rules, usually its not. It's good to be aware of the prepositions and passive voice and overuse of words, but all these are things to clean up on the polish. It's more important to get what's in your head out.

But, once you have been through the polish part a few dozen time, you will make simple grammatical errors less often just in the way you think and create sentences.

Be aware of the rules. Don't worry about them until you've got the story out, then polish it. Then prepositions at then end of sentences is one of the rules to not break if you don't absolutely have to. I'd lump it in with passive voice. Stuff that is written in passive voice is bad.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited April 28, 2006).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
When writing dialog, the rules of grammar do not apply. People who speak in perfect grammar will not sound natural. Readibility is still vital though.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty picky about correct grammar (I hate it when I'm reading and there are grammar and punctuation errors), but there are a few grammar mistakes, like ending a sentence with a proposition, that don't bother me as much. Sometimes reconfiguring a sentence so that the preposition doesn't fall at the end interrupts the flow of the language and can make the sentence sound awkward. So in a case like that, I figure that readability trumps the rule.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider ending a sentence with a preposition ungrammatical. It's informal, but I don't write formally -- for example, I also use contractions. And, as Winston Churchill is alleged to have said (more or less), rigidity about such things is something up with which I will not put!

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited April 28, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo what was said above - if it's in dialog or if it fits with the style/tone of your piece, then I don't see a problem.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to know what Uncle Orson says about ending sentences with prepositions?

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2002-02-04.shtml

Scroll down.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the opinions. I saw a bank sign coming to work today that said "The Neighbor you can borrow from" and it struck me as poor grammar.

Thanks Rahl for the link. It helped. I think OSC answered the question I had in the back of my mind. I've just noticed that I'm seeing these situations in writing and I wondered if other writers (such as yourselves) noticed the same thing,and if they did, does it bother anyone.

I guess I need to not get so distracted by it. Thanks again.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd go to a bank with the sign, "The neighbor from whom you can borrow"

Sounds stuffy.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother in law teaches AP English and she says dangle them all you want. It is no longer a grammar error. Or atleast the AP test does not view it as one. I was also informed cactuses is now a real word (it is cacti!!!). Latin is dead!
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll use them when I'm writing in the flow, but then I'll feel uncomfortable with them and find a way to rewrite the sentence so it doesn't need it but doesn't sound convoluted. I'm kinda obsessive about it. I know it doesn't really matter, but I've been doing it so long I can't change.

I'll use them in dialogue though. "Dialogue don't count"

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw that thread, I thought, "what, you mean ending your sentences with prepositions is bad?" I'd never even heard of that rule.

I'm glad to see it's not a mistake, so I can go on doing it.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Winston Churchhill isn't the source of that quote, and the quote is "This is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put!" The amusing thing is that it would be perfectly sensible to say "I shall not put up with this sort of arrant pedantry!" Indeed, now that I've tried putting it in plain language....

Putting a preposition after the noun it should reference is grammatically incorrect, it doesn't need to be at the end of the sentance. It's just that when it's at the end of the sentance you can be sure it wasn't placed before the referenced noun the way it should have been. But sometimes the referenced noun is implied by the verb and the preposition (Card mentions this). Still, it is "correct" to go ahead and mention the noun after the preposition. Leaving the noun out makes the sentance into a fragment, technically.

Reading what Card has written, he's using a lot of examples where the "preposition" at the end is actually a different part of speech...so that undermines his argument a bit.

As for whether it's acceptable, my standard is whether it creates confusion as to the meaning or sounds unnatural when you say it. That's pretty subjective, but so is any artform, and English writing is an art. I use sentence fragments, split infinitives, yodas, whatever I think gets the point across. I've never been one to worship at the altar of grammar.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.