Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sentence

Author Topic: Sentence
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't nobody go nowhere"

Thoughts?

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Good sentence.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
A little context might be nice.

"Don't nobody go nowhere," said the Queen to the ministers. Then she gestured for the evil robot monkeys to kill them all.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth, I am actually seriously touched that you remember my evil robot monkey bit.

But they were chimpanzees Dangit!

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Actually, I didn't, sorry. I've been doing the evil robot monkey thing for years.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

*Recoiling in shame*
And I thought I was original.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Evil robot monkeys are indiginous to Hatrack.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Perhaps. but my use of them predates my participation in hatrack by several years.
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

That's not making me feel any better.

I'm going to bed with a bottle of scotch and a Dostoyevsky novel.

maybe a pizza too.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited April 30, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to do the dread vampire monkey thing. They live under bridges and in tunnels.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

vampire monkeys! that's great.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always maintained that a hundred monkeys, banging on a hundred typewriters, could easily churn out an issue of "Willamette Week" (local alternative-news rag that tries to pass as serious journalism). Maybe Willamette Week has a staff of really evil vampire robot monkeys. That would explain a lot.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

But! Robots can't be vampires. OR zombies. That's just crazy-talk.

Beth
Member # 2192

oh, and hey, did you see the news report a while ago? Someone tried to explore the "infinite number of monkeys typing" thing so they gave a bunch of monkeys computers.

All they did was bang on them with their fists and throw feces at them. They never did learn to type.

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they would've if someone would've bothered to set them up with Mavis Beacon.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Oh, and back to the original post. "Don't nobody go no where." is a triple negative, which makes it mean exactly what it sounds like it means. Works in many situations. Although I really like this sentence by former NBA great Karl Malone (on why fellow basketball player Larry Johnson got a huge contract one year): "What have Larry Johnson ever did that Karl Malone have not did?"

One thing about this kind of word choice is that it defines the character who's saying it.

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited May 01, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited May 01, 2006).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of Tombstone, where Doc Holliday and Turkey Creek walk in on a Cowboy having sex with two women and Turkey Creek Says "Nobody move!"
And Doc says "By all means, move."

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently been on a kick with the phrase
"You just don't pay me no nevermind." (which is usually followed by "Go on about your own business" or "I'll be doing my own thing")
or
"No one never pays me no nevermind anyway."

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the freedom stealing phrase of "Don't listen to me just do whatever you want."
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Sometimes I like to add something to the original phrase. Like so: "Don't nobody go nowhere, no how."
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

I'll add context.

"We gonna take a little break now."

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everybody freeze. Everybody down on the ground."

"Well which is it, Sonny? 'Cause if I'm frozen I can't rightly drop or I'm going to be in motion..."

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember the "coastal monkey factory?"
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Willamette Week! Ah...how fondly I remember perusing the theater section. A friend of mine sends our care packages wrapped in Willamette Week, so I can catch up with what's happening at home.

Sorry for the off-topic fond memory.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic don't got no topic no how any how.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Netstorm2k:

quote:
I'm going to bed with a bottle of scotch and a Dostoyevsky novel.

Don't do that. You'll wind up with a hangover.

Not necessarily from the scotch, of course.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
So we are all agreed?
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SQ
Member # 3455

- posted      Profile for SQ           Edit/Delete Post 
@Kolona: I remember "'Kaboom!' went the coastal monkey factory. And the see was full of angry monkeys."
But I can't for the life of me remember where it's from?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Prohibiting double and triple negatives are regarded by linguists as being the same level of pedantry as the rule on dangling prepositions. So it's fine for dialogue, though it will have the effect of "ain't" and "drinkin'".

"ah'm a-goin' to the flea market to get me a new bathtub. That one in the yard's all full up of motorcylce parts."

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is whether the multiple negatives count as reinforcing or negating each other. Of course, if you use an odd number of negatives it doesn't matter, which might be why the triple negative is so popular compared to the double negative.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.